I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:39:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463349 times)
Duane

I'm glad to be here.

« Reply #375 on: November 25, 2007, 06:55:57 AM »

Went driving out of town with my sister every 15/20 miles she asked if i want to stop to use the bathroom, to pee. I said no i'm fine, remember my kidney's don't work. O' ok.

30min prior to our destination she pops the question, well when do you pee?

Baby sis I love you and know you love me, but brother only pees three times a week, monday, wednesday, and friday, how about you? :rofl;

watching a football game at a friends house, another guy asked me if i wanted a beer. :boxing;

1 Corinthians 9:24  In a race, everyone runs but only one person gets first prize. So run your race to win.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #376 on: November 25, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »

To be totally honest I usually get this....

Them:  "How are you?  How are your kidneys?"

Me:   "Oh, I'm good.  Actually, I just got my first fistu...

Them:  "Oh hey!!  When did you get here?  I was hoping you would make it!     <<<<walking away towards someone else>>>>

Me:   sigh      thanks for asking...   :-\

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »

List... there's a list??

Oh I am getting senile.

Anyway, now that Jenna has her transplant people say "No more stress huh?"

Right. Of course, there is a lot less stress. But as has been said before, this kidney business is life-long, and most people have no idea.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »

My uncle came up with this one the other night..."so since your mom's was a 3/6 antigen match and lasted 20 years, does that mean this 6/6 antigen match will last twice that?" Oh, if only...

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2008, 06:13:34 PM »

My husband gave me a newspaper article about how to clean in short 15 minute segments.  "Isn't this really helpful and a good idea?"   He could tell he upset me; I got very quiet.  Was he saying I can't keep up with the housework? That I am becoming lazy? That I should be doing more?    I think people just don't know how to handle someone with  a life long disease. Even those closest to us.   People just keep saying and doing dumb things.  If nothing else, I have learned what to ask someone who is ill and then to really listen to their answer.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »

Baby sis I love you and know you love me, but brother only pees three times a week, monday, wednesday, and friday, how about you?

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

http://www.kimhoben.com
Claudia30

« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »

I love bill engvall - he is a comeidan whose line is "here's your sign" referring to people who say stupid stuff. here are a few dumbass things people have said to me

new medical student doing my interview a feww months ago after i told her i didn't have a job - "god that must be so hard", and after that she said that i must live in government housing since i woudnt be able to afford the rent elsewhere..i wanted to hit her so bad. and then she said..you must get food stamps and other kind of help because you don't work.

when i told a friend of mine a while ago thtat i was getting unemployment she said "i wish i was getting paid not to work"

new med students had never seen a fistula before and because i am so young they think they can say things and do things and i'll let them get away with it. The doctor was checking the thrill and the studetn came over and asked to feel it. I said yes and after seh did she ran out into the hallway and got several other med students and told me to come feel it. Never go to the hospital in June when all the med students come out of the woods. iI have a ton more but would be here all nite.

A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference. ~ Eeyore
Krisna

« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »

The one that has always gotten to me but doesn't really apply to me now.

Whenever I would get a transplant people, and again even relatives who know how long I've had this, say, "Oh so you're cured!"  Um, "No, transplantation is just another treatment!  There is no cure."

My paternal grandmother tells me stuff like, "Oh you should just pray for God to heal your kidneys instead of asking for good matched transplant"  I'm like, "Grandma, my kidneys are shriveled up and if God wanted me to be cured, I think he would've done it when I was 7!"

I love her but she drives me nuts with that one.

Also this one elderly man who used to dialyze at my center got conned into this fruit juice program that promised to cure his kidney disease!  I don't remember what company or what fruit but he was totally suckered into it.  If only there was some miracle fruit out there! 

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2008, 09:18:26 AM »

Today I and my family got an email saying our situation is FAKE WTF. This guy is pissed because I won't send him a piture of Otto and Dani so he can do some "special" prayers and is flagging our craigslist plee and any other plees we write. How do I know this person isn't gonna do something weired with Dani's picture? But to call my family fake and our situation fake them is some fighting words

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #384 on: January 18, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »

One of the ladies who's making dinner for my family this week found out that this is my third transplant said, "gee, I hope this one takes for you." I didn't have the heart to tell her that the first one lasted 20 years, but I got it when I was 7.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Krisna

« Reply #385 on: January 18, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »

One of the ladies who's making dinner for my family this week found out that this is my third transplant said, "gee, I hope this one takes for you." I didn't have the heart to tell her that the first one lasted 20 years, but I got it when I was 7.

I know that one too!  When people find out I've had 4 transplants they always assume they didn't work.  I had my first one when I was 8 and it lasted eight years!  Which at the time was better than I could ever hope for with the limited medications available in 1980. 

Hickman
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Krisna

« Reply #386 on: January 18, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Okay, I don't know if I'd really call this ignorant but....

I belong to a few other forums and whenever I talk abt my health or my numerous family problems people always accuse me of just trying to get attention.  A few have even accused me of making stuff up abt my health and family problems.  It may seen unreal but it's very real for me!  I wish it weren't but it is.

Hickman
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #387 on: January 19, 2008, 08:03:54 AM »

I know that one too!  When people find out I've had 4 transplants they always assume they didn't work.  I had my first one when I was 8 and it lasted eight years!  Which at the time was better than I could ever hope for with the limited medications available in 1980. 

This goes right back to the fact that people that don't have CKD/ESRD truly believe that a transplant is the cure, when in fact it's not.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:49:58 PM by kellyt » Logged

CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »

:rofl; This is hilarious I only got through a few but I will be reading this for a long time.

I think the stupidest thing I had some one tell me was said to me after I told them I was severely depressed and did not want to leave my room because a negative reaction to a medication had caused dark spots all over my face his reaction was "I know how you feel I hate for people to see my feet"

I wanted to say you put socks on your feet everyday you friggin moron! I can't put a sock on my head!

FYI to everyone - never tell anyone "I know how you feel" especially when you are incredibly self absorbed and dense! :rant;

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »

My friend recently had face lift surgery to look good. Now she tells me "I know how you must feel having to live with kidney disease." YAH RIGHT!

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »

Question from the RN about to start my stress echo-cardiagram, after doing a medical history - "Do you feel good and healthy today?"  Let's see - I just gave you the details of my health - a brittle diabetic dialysis patient with gastroparesis, anemia, and an out of control PTH, and told you that the test I am doing is so I can stay on the transplant list.  Does that sound healthy to you?
She wanted to know if I felt up to doing the test - which I did.  But what a way to word it! 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2008, 12:51:21 PM »

As I mentioned in another thread, I had to be taken to the ER on Sunday because I collapsed at church. One of the few things I can remember clearly about the trip to the hospital was when the paramedic was hooking the portable heart monitor up to me, and he had to put one of the probes right next to my catheter. He asked what the catheter was for and I said hemodialysis. I mentioned at some point after that I do my dialysis at home, and he asked if it was "the kind of dialysis where you put fluid into your belly and drain it out". Uh, no I just said I do HEMO dialysis and the catheter in my CHEST that you put the probe next to is for HEMO dialysis. If I hadn't been kind of drifting in and out I probably would have actually said that to him in a sarcastic, nasty way, so it's probably a good thing I couldn't. Then when they got me into the ER, a nurse was taking notes from the paramedics that brought me in, and they said "He does his dialysis at home six days a week (I did tell them it was hemodialysis, and they eventually got it), and I heard the nurse say as they continued wheeling me to my room, "Yeah, he's on CAPD". DOH!

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #392 on: March 13, 2008, 01:33:12 PM »

when my fellow teachers complain about having to pee so much during state testing
I think give me your urine-----please
cherpep

« Reply #393 on: March 13, 2008, 01:38:57 PM »

"So... you still doing dialysis?  How much longer are they gonna have you do that?"

"Uh... as long as I want to live.  Unless, you'd like to give me a kidney."
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #394 on: March 13, 2008, 03:59:22 PM »

"So... you still doing dialysis?  How much longer are they gonna have you do that?"

"Uh... as long as I want to live.  Unless, you'd like to give me a kidney."

That's the best answer I can think of!   :rofl;   Good job!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #395 on: March 13, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »

"Oh. you have been on dialysis that long.  You look good."

How am I supposed to look?  :basket:

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #396 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:51 PM »

I keep getting "You don't look like you are on dialysis."  Gee, thanks.  What is that supposed to look like?  Is there a costume?  A dress code, maybe?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #397 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »

I keep getting "You don't look like you are on dialysis."  Gee, thanks.  What is that supposed to look like?  Is there a costume?  A dress code, maybe?
I have a shirt that says "I left my dialysis technician costume at home", but for people like that we need to have one that says "I left my dialysis PATIENT costume at home"

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #398 on: March 13, 2008, 10:36:23 PM »

I was wondering if there is a costume or a button I am supposed to be wearing? Or am I supposed to look like hell all of the time?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Psim

« Reply #399 on: March 13, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »

I was wondering if there is a costume or a button I am supposed to be wearing?

Kit, I can't believe you've been on dialysis all this time and don't have your uniform yet. I've been told the hat is quite stylish, and the shoes aren't that hard to walk in. I'm surprised your centre hooks you up without it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »