I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:39:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  i got a question, or two
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: i got a question, or two  (Read 5849 times)
oswald

« on: December 27, 2007, 12:41:18 PM »

does anyone know what the job description of a dialysis social worker is?  the sw at my unit claims that all she is supposed to do is set up dialysis times when you go on vacation, give her the dates and place of stay and she calls that unit to set up time.  she says that she don't do insurance or social security or pretty much anything that she is supposed to do.  is there some kind of governing body that deals with sw's?  if so, can she be written up anonymously?  i myself am not on dialysis anymore, but my friends at the unit says its getting worse with her, the sw.  all she does is go around talking about her latest vacation or football scores.  she was like that when i was there.  alot of people there are old and don't speak up like they should.  i was just wandering so that i might help them get the help they need, like a new social worker.

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 02:52:53 PM »

Hi,
I have only very good things to say about the s. workers
I have dealt with.  The first one was very, very good to
my husband, and our family-helped me with all kinds of insurance
forms, also helped me apply for Les's SSD, Medicare, etc.
The girl (she is a girl to me, teehee) that is at the unit where
my husband is now ihas helped me immensley with dr bills,
insurance, etc.
The way you are discribing this S. worker sure sounds fishy-
I would try to find out how your friend could maybe call someone,
etc-who would be able and willing to help them out-someone
above that S. worker, ya know?  I don't think she/he is doing
their job for sure! :thumbdown;

Anne
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »

I'm sorry, but your social worker isn't doing her job.  A REAL social worker at a dialysis clinic talks to patients when they're having personal difficulty dealing with their situation, helps find alternative ways to pay for medical bills along with scheduling patients when they travel.

I feel bad for the patients in your clinic.  Our social worker here at Satellite Dialysis in Santa Rosa, CA. is a godsend.  She did the research and found the National Kidney Fund to help patients here with their Medicare copay.  Also, my first year was very difficult and I had trouble dealing with my situation and she found me resources to help deal with my situation.

Do everyone at the clinic a favor and talk to the clinic manager.  If that individual is doing their job, they'll listen and work with you on changing her responsibilities or find someone who cares enough to do their job.

Good luck.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »

my social worker took care of everything when we went to Durango.
She does everything about my insurance and my medicare since I've been on dialysis over 18 months.
When I have a question about my insurance I ask her.
other than some elementary level bulletin boards and some PreK games, she is good
rookiegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »

Oswald,

I can't believe that social worker said that.  My social worker is awesome.  She helped me with anything that I ask her.  If she doesn't have the answer, she finds the person that does.  She helped explained to me about my insurance/medicare coverage.  She helped me who to contact about the waiting list.  She helped answers questions about disability.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 08:44:17 AM »

As a former social worker myself, I'd say your worker was burnt out and/or lazy.  Bottom line, she sounds more like a source of frustration than anything else.  I'd go above her head and try to speak to her supervisor.  I would also include her in the meeting and possibly see if there were any other patients willing to join you in getting this put right.  She is supposed to be an advocate for patients and should even be setting up support groups, if patients would go to one (can't imagine they would if she were running it however) and offering individual counseling.  Form filling and dealing with all kinds of bureaucracy is in my opinion the most boring part of the job but truth is that's actually what we patients NEED the most.  You might be able to get a copy of her job description from the organization and use that as a starting point for action.
Good luck with this.  It's really important.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jberdahl

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 08:55:23 PM »

Hi.  I'm a social worker at a dialysis unit.  (only two months now)  As far as i can tell, there are only two mandated requirements for a social worker at a center.  i have to do a psychosocial assessment on each patient once a year, and have one monthly contact with each patient.  Everything else is very individualized and up to your unit.  i think at most units, social workers handle transportation, insurance questions, financial assistance, counseling, activities, etc.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »