I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  This may be a dumb question but....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This may be a dumb question but....  (Read 2468 times)
pdpatty

« on: December 25, 2007, 07:38:32 AM »

Those of us who have PKD and still have a decent urine output,can and will that over time decrease.
I don't put on too much fluid ,even over weekends,because I still produce urine. I am somewhat concerned that that may decrease someday.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »

As I menitioned in a previous post My out-put has decreased over the last couple of weeks. I've gone from about 1.0 between treatments and 2.5 on weekends to 3.5 between treatments and 4.5 on weekends. O well, on to the ice-chips.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 11:16:19 AM »

i have been on home hemo for 8 months and mine has decreased over that time, from going every hour to once or twice a day, i have heard that if you do PD that your output will last longer than people on hemo.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:22:58 PM by charee » Logged

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 05:01:12 PM »

you  can  be  guaranteed output  will  decrease  at  some  point,  that  being  in  6  months  or  6  years, in  most  cases  sooner  rather  thn  later,  but  there  is  always  an  exception  to  the  rule.
 a  lady  at  my  centre puts  out  roughly  1  litre  a  day  and  been  doing  dialysis  for  7  years.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 05:32:49 AM »

Unfortunately it's a part of life on dialysis for the urine output to go down (wow, someone who puts out 1L a day? i so wish!!).... Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it when it happens (though I have heard of some people going on tablets to increase output a little bit). I just adjusted my drinking to try and keep myself under 2.0 between treatments(man weekends are H A R D!)....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »

Patty, there are many things thought to affect the progression of PKD.  (Watch for metabolic acidosis - keep CO2 above 24, and keep BP low.) It is very unpredictable, and varies greatly from patient.  Mike has been on dialysis (hemo - NxStage) since 2/5/07 and he still produces about a liter of urine per day, but it is almost totally clear.  The kidneys are still producing urine but no longer filter much at all.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:26:04 AM »

While the natural tendency of many organs of the body is for them to repair themselves after injury, for highly vascularized organs such as the eyes and the kidneys, the tendency is the reverse, so any injury induces them to become more defective over time.  The result is that of those patients who begin dialysis with some residual renal function and urine output, usually of urine containing very few toxins which healthy kidneys should clear, the urine output will decline over time.

In my case, I never had to have any fluid withdrawn on dialysis for the first five years of treatment, since my kidneys continued to be able to clear as much urine as there was surplus fluid in my body.  After five years, however, the output began serioiusly to decline, and within a year it was down to zero.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »

Here's another related thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=226.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »

I have been on dialysis 15 months now (CCPD) and I still have full urine output. I just drink as much as I want. Dialysis does remove some fluid usually about 260 mls.

And by the way it's not a dumb question. Never ever worry about anything like that on this forum. If you have a question just post, we are all here to help each other any way we can. :cuddle;
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:03:23 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

What amazes me is how little the professionals prepare us for what we have to face.  Thank God for IHD!  The other day I was with another patient and the vascular surgeon who was going to repair our grafts.  He told the doctor that he was only urinating on mornings and asked if the doctor could give him something to increase his urine. I told him, and the doctor concurred, that this eventually happens.  He had no idea that dialysis would decrease his output. 

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Chicken Little

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 05:56:15 PM »

I was putting out 1000-1500 cc a day before I had the heart cath test for transplant.  Now I'm down to 100 cc a day because of that contrast dye. 

PD is removing the fluid fine, but I'm having a hard time clearing those toxins.   :-\
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »