I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:28:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula keeps recirculating toxins
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula keeps recirculating toxins  (Read 4252 times)
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« on: December 19, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

Rob's found out today that his blood isn't getting cleaned fully through dialysis due to his fistula.  The norm for recirculating the uncleaned blood is supposed to be 5%, Rob is at 30%.  Which means he's not getting all the toxins out.  Which means his fistula is crap.  Has anyone had this issue?  Was there a way to get it fixed besides another fistula? 

He had another fistula put in his upper arm in March, but due to too much scar tissue it won't work.  Great, 2 bad fistulas.  Now his Vascular surgeon wants to put another fistula in his right arm along with a perma cath till it matures.  Problem is, Rob had about 5 caths over the course of 6 months due to numerous infections.  He is so afraid of doing another one.  He wanted to see if they can put a Jump Graft in his arm, but the surgeon is against this saying they aren't the best.  Has anyone had luck with these?

I want him to get a 2nd opinion, see if there is anything that can be done to save either one of these fistulas.  Rob hasn't even been on dialysis 2 years and he has had all these issues.  I feel so bad, he never gets down and he is so down in the dumps today.  I hate these stupid issues!   :rant;
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 06:53:56 PM by skyedogrocks » Logged

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »

I am so sorry for both of you.  He certainly has had his share of problems with fistulas.  I hope they can find a good solution for him. :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:01:21 PM »

Dang, that's not good news.  :thumbdown;

Is it possible that simply placing the needle holes, or needle tips, farther apart, or reversing the flow lines would help enough to avoid another surgery?  Under the circumstances, I sure would ask for every option available and try them all before going for another surgery.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
keefer51

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 01:51:59 AM »

My fistula is in my upper left arm. I get the best dialysis if they put one needle up and one needle down. I have allot of pain with my fistula but it does work.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
ILOVEFLUID

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 02:01:25 AM »

In my first two years of dialysis, I had 23 lines, 1 fistula that never worked and 1 graft that never worked.  Finally, I got an upper arm fistula, used it 6 times and then got a transplant.  The transplant failed after 5 years and I have been using that same fistula for the last two years and it has been great.  But Good Lord did I go through a lot to finally get one that works well.

Each day at a time, one drink at a time (or two, or three...etc)
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:37:18 AM »

Hi,
I don't want to sound bossy here, and I do not
know what your feelings are about his vascular guy,
but I would definitely think about getting another
opinion.
My husband had two fistulas placed, niether of which
took.  We went to a surgeon in Phila, one who
only does fistulas for people who have had problems-
he is not using it yet, but the thrill is very strong,
the surgeion had to go from his armpit down to his
elbow-but I guess you do what you have to.
He is still using a permacath, which had to be replaced
three times, not due to infection-the first one fell out-
the other two did not give enough flow.  Access is
so important, and any issues with it are so scarey.
I really suggest checking out a different Dr.

Anne
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:02:39 AM »

Sky.... I would make an appt. with American Access Care, they are at 200 Boston Ave in Medford. The # is 781-391-1889.             

http://www.aac-llc.com/company.html

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
skyedogrocks

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 07:35:28 PM »

Sky.... I would make an appt. with American Access Care, they are at 200 Boston Ave in Medford. The # is 781-391-1889.

http://www.aac-llc.com/company.html

Thanks for the recommendation, I told Rob about this and it's not too far from us.  Do you have personal experience with them?

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
skyedogrocks

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »

My fistula is in my upper left arm. I get the best dialysis if they put one needle up and one needle down. I have allot of pain with my fistula but it does work.

Did the center compare the up and down as opposed to both of them going in the same direction?  I told Rob about this, he's scared to put them down by himself, when he sees his nurse next week, he might have her teach him how to do this.

Thanks for the tips everyone, we are definitely going to get a 2nd opinion.  Rob doesn't want to go through another fistula surgery and catheter if he doesn't have to.  The 2nd opinion might tell us the same as his first dr, but at least we'll have more peace of mind.

bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 05:06:57 AM »

No experience with them on my part, but one of the head nurses came to our clinic with all sorts of good advice, seems like a good option for a 2nd opinion.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 08:31:36 AM »

My Neph told me that sometime "leaders" grow off of the fistula, causing bad clearances. What they do in that case is go in and clip the veins that are causing the fistula to re-circulate the bad blood. Hopefully it is not your fistula, and just something that can be repaired.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »

Been with a graft in my upper arm for six to eight years.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 11:30:04 AM »

Have ya'll decided what you're going to do next?  My thoughts are with you.  :grouphug;

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
skyedogrocks

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

We have an appointment on the 11th with the Access America center that Bolta shared.  I was able to talk to the Dr. there and let them know what is up with Rob.  It was very reassuring to talk to an actual Dr. and have her know what is going on.  We have hope that either fistula can be saved, it's not 100%, but there is still hope!

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 07:33:25 PM »

:2thumbsup; Good!  Sounds promising.

Isn't it wonderful how we help each other?!?  (Bill would be so proud of us.)

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »