I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Teen mixes good manners with bad kidney
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teen mixes good manners with bad kidney  (Read 2316 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 17, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »

Teen mixes good manners with bad kidney
Illnesses of boy, sister put financial burden on their family of five

By Lola Alapo
Sunday, December 16, 2007

For every needle prick that doctors have given Jesse Cole McCarter, he's said "thank you."

With every surgery, he's never fussed.

He and his family recently received a 1:30 a.m. Sunday call that doctors had found him a kidney. Blood tests revealed, however, that his body would reject the organ.

Even with that disappointment, he never complained.

"You just have to say it wasn't meant to be," said his mother, Teresa McCarter. "God will find him a better one."

McCarter calls her 16-year-old son, who goes by Cole, a thankful boy who was "born with manners."

The McCarters, including dad James, sister Jamie and brother Todd, this holiday season will receive a 70-pound food basket from the News Sentinel Empty Stocking Fund. The publicly funded charity will brighten the lives of about 8,000 East Tennesseans this holiday season.

Having food for Christmas is one less thing the family has to worry about amid concerns over the child-ren's health, McCarter said.

Jamie McCarter 24, was born with kidney disease and is herself awaiting a kidney transplant.

"The basket is just wonderful," Tereas McCarter said. "To me, it's like my Christmas present. I love going through it. It lasts days after with the things that you need."

Three days a week, McCarter drives Jamie and Cole from Seymour to dialysis in Knoxville.

Cole is awaiting a second kidney transplant. His appendix ruptured when he was 2 1/2, damaging his organs, McCarter said.

He received his first kidney from his mom in May 2000, but that organ is failing.

Cole wasn't able to chat Wednesday when the News Sentinel visited him at the University of Tennessee Medical Center's pediatric dialysis center. He wasn't feeling up to it during the procedure.

When he's not at the hospital, Cole, a high school sophomore, is taking lessons from a teacher who comes to his home or playing video games with his buddies, McCarter said.

He's never been on a bike. He's always wanted to take karate, but doctors have cautioned against it because of his health.

The children's illnesses have taken a financial toll on the family. McCarter is unable to work right now because she drives both Cole and Jamie to dialysis. The process takes three to four hours a day.

The family is behind on phone payments. It's often a choice between paying for groceries or bills, McCarter said.

Sometimes the family's situation is so overwhelming it moves McCarter to tears, she said.

"It's really hard," she said. "If you don't have faith, this will beat you down."

Still, McCarter is grateful for loved ones and for the staff at the medical center, who have been like family. They've worked with the family since Cole was 3.

The children's illness shows "you have to thank God for everything you have," she said. "People take their health for granted. They don't thank the Lord for their health."

Lola Alapo may be reached at 865-342-6376.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/dec/16/teen-mixes-good-manners-with-bad-kidney/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »

there is always someone worse off...Sad   Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:58 AM »

Very sad. I hope there are resources out there for them, they really need them desperately.

The boy sounds like such a sweetheart. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »