I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 10:27:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  having my PTH removed Thursday
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: having my PTH removed Thursday  (Read 2462 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:29 PM »

Havent been on for about a month and lost touch with some of you. Well i hope you can all come back and keep me from freaking out this week. Im a bit stressed especially after i saw the previews for that movie AWAKE... Anyone else see that i was like, it figures im having surgery soon... LoL.. Well hope all is well with you all and let me know how youve all been... Miss u guys, keep in touch!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »

I have not had my PTH removed.  They seem to keep the PTH down with a drug called Sensipar.  Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

:bestwishes;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:27:51 PM »

Neo, We missed you!  Hope all goes well with the surgery.  My daughter, when she was 18, had a tumor on her thyroid.  Surgery was similar to what you will have.  Take is easy after. Get enough rest and don't push yourself too hard. Let people help and take care of you. You deserve some TLC.  Post when you can so we know how you are.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Psim

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:01:27 AM »

I had that surgery -- it was easy.  :2thumbsup; I was out of the hospital the next day with minimal pain and nothing to show for it but a 2 inch scar. As long as your surgeon is very experienced in this kind of operation, it should be fine. There's a thread on PT surgery at <http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5769.0>  Let us know how it goes!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »

Welcome back Neo...good luck with your surgery, hope all goes well for you  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:01:10 PM »

Hey Neo, good to see you. I hope all goes well with the surgery!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »

Good luck. It is not as bad as it sounds. I had my parathyroid out a year ago November 1.  You are going to have a hell of a sore throat for awhile.  But it was pretty easy over all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:41:44 PM »

In regards to the movie AWAKE -

When I had my last fistula placed (Oct 31st) I was not totally knocked out, but they did an incredible nerve block on my left arm and then gave me the "margarita" as they called it.  I was in and out.  HOWEVER, I felt him cutting on my arm all the way up to my arm pit!  I didn't feel him actually working inside my arm on the fistula, but the cutting and the sutures I felt.  Actually, I thought he was stapling my arm closed.  Like I said, I was in and out, talking some, but I couldn't tell him I felt it.  When I woke up in recovery the nurse said "when you take off the bandage don't be surprised by the size of the incision".  I didn't tell her that I already knew.  It was that same week after my surgery that I saw the previews for that movie.  I turn the channel every time it comes on!    I have never had major surgery, but I hope and pray I'm not one of those people that never go out.

I had a motorcycle wreck in 1986 and they gave me every drug available (via IV) and I woke up about three or four times while they were scrubbing - yes scrubbing!!!! - my thighs to clean the road rash.  They kept knocking me out and I kept waking up!

Good Luck on your surgery!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Chicken Little

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »

Good luck Neo.   I was headed in that direction myself, but I've been granted a reprieve.   I was taking Calcitriol and Sensipar and mine wasn't budging.   They doubled my Calcitriol and my phosphorus went from 3.4 to 7.2. :o   Within a week of stopping Calcitriol though my PTH dropped 700 points and my calcium levels haven't changed at all.   ???  Weird, but I'll take it. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »