I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Kidney recipient ‘blown away’ by donation offer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney recipient ‘blown away’ by donation offer  (Read 1694 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 11, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »

Kidney recipient ‘blown away’ by donation offer 

By BECKY HAND
Community Editor

Recently, we reported about the Mark Pratt family of South Whitley, and Mark’s lifesaving gift of a kidney to Craig Daley of Ormand Beach, Fla. This week we were able to speak with Daley via telephone and e-mail, and are able to give you … the rest of the story.
    Kidneys are organs in the body that maintain the body’s balance of water and minerals, and filter out waste products from the blood. One test to determine kidney health looks at creatinine levels.         Creatinine is a waste product of the muscles and is normally higher in someone with a higher muscle mass. “Normal levels of creatinine in the blood are approximately 0.6 to 1.2 milligrams (mg) per deciliter (dl) in adult males” according to MedicineNet.com. A creatinine level of two would mean that half of kidney function is lost and five means that 80-90 percent is lost.
    Daley was given the diagnosis of polycystic kidney disease in 1994, a genetic disease affecting about a half million Americans each year. He was told that his kidneys would eventually fail requiring dialysis treatments. At the time, he wasn’t feeling too badly and so decided to wait on the dialysis. His creatinine levels were about nine at this point.
    Daley knew that once he was on dialysis, the only way back to a somewhat normal life was to receive a kidney transplant. Being adopted, he didn’t have the obvious choice of a family member, but as his disease was hereditary, the chance was good that a family member would also have the disease. Finding a match would not be easy.
    In April 2005, Daley went into end stage renal failure and began dialysis. Wikipedia.com calls dialysis “an imperfect treatment to replace kidney function because it does not correct the endocrine functions of the kidney.”  His creatinine levels were at 18.
    Trying to find more information on his condition, he found the Web site for Matchingdonors.com, a non-profit organization that matches people in need of transplants with people willing to be volunteer living donors. (Kidneys as well as the pancreas, liver and a lung are able to be transplanted from living donors, with a small chance of lasting side effects to the donor.) Daley signed up and began what he expected would be a fruitless wait.
    But last spring, he received a call on his cell phone, and it was Mark Pratt, asking if he could be tested to be a living kidney donor for Daley. “I was blown away, said Daley, “I never thought I would actually find someone I had never met who would be willing to give me a kidney.”
    From the first meeting when Pratt went to Florida to be tested, they felt an instant bond. “It was like we had known each other forever,” said Pratt. Daley felt the same bond, but his emotions were still riding high. What if they weren’t a match? And he still couldn’t comprehend that someone would give a part of himself to allow Daley a more normal life.
    When the results came back that they were a very good match, there was still the wondering, “Will he go through with it?” said Daley. But to Pratt, it was a done deal.
    Almost two weeks ago, Pratt was as good as his word, and the kidney was transplanted with complete success. Daley was up and walking two days later, and his fiancée Lara Copello said, “I had never known him when he had a properly functioning kidney. He really looks a lot healthier!”
    Pratt has since returned home, but Daley can’t say enough about him. He calls their relationship a new life friendship and his kidney a priceless gift, the gift of life. They talk via phone or e-mail almost every day, and Daley and Copello are planning a visit to Indiana early next year.
    Daley had his creatinine levels tested last week, one week after his new kidney was put in place. It is now down to one-and-one-half.

http://www.thepostandmail.com/content/view/76582/27/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
oswald

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:02:45 PM »

Hi OSWALD'S wife here...

How awesome is that!?  I was thinking there at the end that it wound up that they were related somehow, that the donor was from is birth family in some way - but I guess that would be too "Lifetime Channel", wouldn't it?  :rofl;

Thanks for keeping us informed OKAROL with the articles you share!   :thx;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »