I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  (re)Started Home Training today.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: (re)Started Home Training today.  (Read 3950 times)
Redbomb

« on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »

this morning I started Home Training with my NxStage!  My poor head is reeling with all there is to know.  I still can't use two needles since the Center infiltrated my fistula about 2 weeks ago. :(

It doesn't look like I'm going to be "saving" any time though.  My run today was nearly 3 hours, add setup and teardown to that and it was 4.5 hours -- which is about the time I was spending in-center, except this will be 6 days a week instead of just 3.  I hope the health benefits outweigh the added time that I won't have to do things!

ON the UP side, in about 3 months, I /may/ get to be part of a Pilot program for nighttime Home hemo!  That would be nice! (I think).  :)

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »

Hang in there RedBomb,  from what i here, it will definetly all be worth it in the end,  Please keep us posted on your training :)  Good Luck  :thumbup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kruep

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »

Hang in there it will get better!!! Promise!!!!
Did your training nurse bother to set you at ease today with telling you that you don't have to learn everything in one day or that she didn't expect you to learn anything today.  I always started with that and once the patient is at ease they learn a lot better.  You have got to learn to try to take the stress out of it.  Let the nurse stress, not you.
kruep
Redbomb

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 12:24:43 AM »

Hang in there it will get better!!! Promise!!!!
Did your training nurse bother to set you at ease today with telling you that you don't have to learn everything in one day or that she didn't expect you to learn anything today.  I always started with that and once the patient is at ease they learn a lot better.  You have got to learn to try to take the stress out of it.  Let the nurse stress, not you.
kruep

Yup .. that she did.  She repeated several times, we'll go over this again.  I'm not expecting you to learn all this in one day.

Then there is the little man in my head saying, "we're good!  We Gotta learn this all today!"  (darn little man!).  :)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 04:00:37 AM »

Good luck Redbomb. It will all come together and you will learn time saving techniques. I believe others have said the same thing when they trained.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:18:47 AM »

Set up time gets MUCH shorter once you've been on it for a while.  I can usually have it all done in under half an hour now.  You'll also be able to start it priming much earlier when you are at home, and be able to leave it in the 23 recirculation for a while, which gets most of the air bubbles out before you start snapping and tapping them out of the lines - that cuts down on the set up time as well.

With a NxStage, the less fluid you have on, the shorter the total run time becomes, so when you are doing it every day, you won't have as much fluid to remove.  If you get good pressures on your fistula when you start using it, a faster pump speed will also help cut the time.

Don't forget the time benefits of doing it at home as well - no commute, no waiting for your turn to get on, no waiting for someone to come take you off. . . not to mention no time spent sick from picking up everyone's germs when you are at the center!

You may also get good enough results on the home to do a 5 day a week schedule, or the 3 on, 1 off schedule that a lot of us do.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Aldente

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:48:38 AM »

Way to go Redbomb!!  In my opinion the benefits far far far outweigh the time! (did I put enough far's in there?)  Your setup and teardown times will improve as you gain confidence and establish a routine.  It took me about a week after I was home to place my supplies in a logical picking order and then I learned several time saving tips that helped me greatly.  As an example, I insert the cartridge and MLA, spike the saline bag and start the prime cycle, then I gather the rest of my supplies.  You have at least fifteen minutes to weigh yourself and prepare any other things you may need.  If the cycler reaches the point where you have to confirm the display, do it and then let it recirculate until you are ready for the next step.

As far as remembering things goes, it gets easier.  It's like riding a bicycle, it seems to take forever to learn but one you master it you never forget.

I wish you the best success and hope you achieve the outstanding results I have experienced.
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:27:46 AM »

yeah...what everyone else said...
just relax and know that many of us have figured it out so you will too...
good luck!!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »