I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medical Breakthroughs
| | |-+  Nanotechnology - Companys like this could end dialysis for ever! See link.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nanotechnology - Companys like this could end dialysis for ever! See link.  (Read 7594 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: August 18, 2005, 06:08:54 PM »

http://www.zyvex.com/nano/

This is really the future of medicine it's really exciting. I hope I live to see the end of dialysis as we know it, whether it be "Nano robots" injected into our body to eliminate waste or "Micro sized artificial kidneys" It will happen it's just a matter of time.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 06:57:54 PM »

I just read an article about this in Nephrology News and Issues magazine.   I hope it comes to be but I'm cynical--dialysis is a huge moneymaking business so I imagine it'll be a long time of it ever gets approved or tested in humans. 

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 10:16:40 PM »

I just read an article about this in Nephrology News and Issues magazine.   I hope it comes to be but I'm cynical--dialysis is a huge moneymaking business so I imagine it'll be a long time of it ever gets approved or tested in humans. 

Yeah it is a ways off but it makes me happy knowing that future generations will not have to go through dialysis. It's just a matter of time. Even though dialysis is BIG business Medicare is sick of paying 80% of the treatment costs. And who ever gets the patent on the "thing" that will end dialysis will be able to buy a house right next to Bill Gates.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Jamie

What's life with out alittle magic?

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 09:32:33 PM »

Dear fellow renal readers,

I too hope this day will come as well. Not just renal failure but most illness. But to be quite honest most of my life has been living with renal failure and I probably won't see that day.
  But it dose seem promising for our children and there children to come. I have been hearing all kinds of things like this threw out the years. First it was "Pig kidneys" then it was "Stem cell".
  To be quite honest I would be willing to do any thing if its to move along beating this kidney failure. All they need to do is call me and I would do the testing. Can't be worse than what I have already been threw. The way I look at it is the next stage is death so any testing needed I would be willing to do as long as it will move forward.........Jamie-G

What's life with out a little magic?
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

Is this a different article on the same research, or something different entirely?

Nanotechnology Presents Possibility of Implantable Artificial Kidney

By: Blackwell Publishing on Aug 30 2005 08:21:30
Artificial Kidney
Researchers have developed a human nephron filter (HNF) that would eventually make possible a continuously functioning, wearable or implantable artificial kidney.  This study is published in the latest issue of Hemodialysis International.

The HNF is the first application in developing a renal replacement therapy (RRT) to potentially eliminate the need for dialysis or kidney transplantation in end-stage renal disease patients.  The HNF utilizes a unique membrane system created through applied nanotechnology.  In the ideal RRT device, this technology would be used to mimic the function of natural kidneys, continuously operating, and based on individual patient needs.

No dialysis solution would be used in the device.  Operating 12 hours a day, seven days a week, the filtration rate of the HNF is double that of conventional hemodialysis administered three times a week.

"The HNF system, by eliminating dialysate and utilizing a novel membrane system, represents a breakthrough in renal replacement therapy based on the functioning of native kidneys," say researchers.  "The enhanced solute removal and wearable design should substantially improve patient outcomes and quality of life."

According to the study, nearly 900,000 patients worldwide suffer from end-stage renal disease and require treatment through dialysis or transplantation.  Animal studies using this technology are scheduled to begin in the next 1-2 years with clinical trials to follow subsequently.

This study is published in Hemodialysis International.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »

Here is a study going on at the University of Michigan.   :D

http://www.med.umich.edu/intmed/humes/