I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 03:37:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Having Less Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Having Less Dialysis  (Read 2616 times)
meadowlandsnj

« on: December 02, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »

It was mentioned to me a few weeks ago I may get less dialysis because my numbers were getting so much better.  I don't want to go less time.  RIght now I go for four hours.  I am the first one on the machine when I get there-I love it.  If I was to change to 3:45 I'd have to wait at least another half hour to be put n the machine and that means I have to be there longer. Most of the other patients go for 3:45 or 3:30. This way I get in and get out at a decent time.  So I am going to refuse a lesser time when they ask me. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »

The ordinary range of dialysis prescriptions, averaging around 12 hours a week of treatment time, replaces only 10 to 14% of normal renal function, so for every patient with endstage renal failure at whatever level of renal function, the more treatment time the better.  The formula requiring each patient to get 12 hours of treatment per week was not based on how much treatment is needed to keep a patient healthy, but on how much treatment is cost-effective to provide compared to what would be the additional medical expenses of treating a patient for the additional renal complications which would be caused if the treatment time on dialysis were reduced.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »

Fight to keep your time. The more dialysis the better.  If they cut your time labs probably won't be as good therefore you may not feel as good!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 06:39:36 PM »

I had the same argument with my doc when he started cutting my time from my original 4 hours when I was still in clinic.  He started cutting it down in 12 minute increments, and I made him stop.  Heck, I figured my day was already shot, what good was another 12 minutes out of the chair going to do me?  I already felt crummy the rest of the day after dialysis; I didn't need to have less energy on my off days!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:42:20 PM »

In my first center i would run from 5 - 6 hours, but when that closed down and we had to transfer to another clinic, they were so booked that they had to cut all our time to 3 hours, needless to say i loved the less time but i did feel worse,  i do not recommend taking the shorter time.  just my  :twocents;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:42:35 PM »

I ran 3 hrs, then got switched to 2 1/2 hrs because my numbers were good, but for me I didn't feel any different, worse or better with the cut time and my labs all stayed the same, so I stayed on that schedule until I switched to PD. However, Im with the others, I would stay with your time especially if its working for you already and your not planning on getting off hemo to try something else. :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:05:05 PM »

The ordinary range of dialysis prescriptions, averaging around 12 hours a week of treatment time, replaces only 10 to 14% of normal renal function, ...

Anyone know what the comparable % would be for 6 days a week, 18 hours, with the NxStage?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Gram2Twinz

Perfect Match

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:19:28 PM »

Home Hemo with NxStage 6 days per week for my husband runs an average of 2hrs. 40 minutes. From what I understand, your flow rate and the amount of dialysate and the UF amount will determine the time on the machine. Once you have met your UF for the tx, then you can ramp up the therapy fluid rate and it will decrease the time on a little bit.  Because my husband is still "peeing" he doesn't have much to take off during each treatment. Sometimes, none off and just a good "cleaning" still takes 2 hrs. 30 minutes. We also watch his BP before, if it is low- we don't remove any fluid, bacause he can get that next time.
The NxStage modality seems to be the best for removing toxins- more like natural kidney function, I understand.

Just my  :twocents;

Husband diagnosed w/ 1 working kidney 1975 Mayo Clinic
A/V Fistula March 2004
Placed on transplant list July 2004
In center dialysis began July 2007
Home Hemo NxStage training began Nov. 2007
Rockford, IL Davita-Roxbury Center
1st patient trained for home hemo by this center
Transplant 6-5-08 Loyola@Chicago
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »