I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 10:16:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Yet another question from me
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yet another question from me  (Read 5400 times)
SheilaW

« on: November 26, 2007, 05:48:09 PM »

Is hair loss a common side effect of dialysis?  The past month or so I've been losing alarming amounts of hair.  It's finally starting to slow down (I think) but it's still coming out in large amounts.  Ugh!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

I don't know how common it is, but I know mine is thinner.  That's the lack of iron in my system.  It gets thicker again whenever I get a dose of iron.  Hair loss is also a common sign of malnutrition, so if you've been throwing up a lot in the last few months, the hair loss may be in part because of that.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 06:16:21 PM »

My hair started thinning also.  Could be all the meds, not eating well, low iron; I don't know, but it seems like alot of people with renal failure have the same problem.  Mine has slowed down.  It is just one thing after another!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

So sorry for you. It is awful, to lose that much hair. Jenna has really thick hair and it started falling out after she began dialysis.
Here's a related thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=352.0 - the Nioxin shampoo and other hair products seemed to help. They have a website http://www.nioxin.com/go/en/product-information/product-categories/scalp-and-hair-care/ and it will tell you where the products are available if you need help.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »

I had lost alot of hair before and after my transplant. I think it is med related! O0
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »

I can't exactly say if my dialysis causes hair loss, because I don't really have hair at all. Well, except for facial hair, and I haven't noticed any change in that since I started dialysis.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 07:43:55 PM »

i  actually  lost  most  of  the  hair  on  top  years  before  dialysis,  but  4  the  last  2  years  i've  lost  hair  off  my  calf muscles  and  no  body  can  tell me  why :banghead;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »

Mine is thinner too, but i'd like to add, if you think of using the Nioxin shampoo (which can be costly)  you have to continue to use it always, once you stop using it, the hair will start falling out again  :thumbdown;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 08:43:03 PM »

I was losing hair four years ago due to too much medication being on board.  Due to being on Minoxidil for the past two years, the hair grows everywhere now.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 08:46:22 PM »

I think it is stress.  My hair was falling out so much when I had to start dialysis again and losing my job etc... but now it is thick.  The color went from blond to brown but I can fix that.

;D

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »

I've been doing dialysis for 7 months and my hair is alot thinner now , i was told stress , starting dialysis and weight loss  all contributed to it.

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »

Haven't had any hair problems.  In fact, as a birthday gift in 2006, my daughter started me off with dreadlocks and my hair is now longer and thicker than it has ever been.  O0
I must say I have been lucky in that area.  I went through chemo for breast cancer in 93 and never had one strand of hair fall out because of it.

I think it is stress.  My hair was falling out so much when I had to start dialysis again and losing my job etc... but now it is thick.  The color went from blond to brown but I can fix that.

;D
:lol;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:58:51 PM »

Mine is thinner too, but i'd like to add, if you think of using the Nioxin shampoo (which can be costly)  you have to continue to use it always, once you stop using it, the hair will start falling out again  :thumbdown;

I have never heard that before. Jenna used it for about a year and never lost any more hair when she quit. Did that happen to you?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 07:18:15 AM »

I was losing hair four years ago due to too much medication being on board.  Due to being on Minoxidil for the past two years, the hair grows everywhere now.
I take the Minoxidil also for the heart.. I have noticed for what it is worth a slight and I do mean slight, improvement of hair growth on top of my head but a lot every where else...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »

It's kind of a Catch 22 when it comes to hair loss for ESRD patients.  When you have a transplant and they place you on all the immunosupressive steroids, your hair falls out.  When you have too much protein in your system while on Dialysis, you lose hair as well.  I'm on Minoxidil for high blood pressure and have been using Nioxin for two years now.  It helps, but I imagine after my next transplant I'll lose the remainder of my hair.  I'm not the kind of guy that will look good bald, so it does add stress to my life worrying about my hair. 

And then I realize, "You're an idiot.  It's just hair.  You're a survivor, just deal."

I'm thinking of starting to where black skull caps with the Steelers logo on them. 

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »

I have never heard that before. Jenna used it for about a year and never lost any more hair when she quit. Did that happen to you?

It was told to me by my hairdresser after i had been using it for awhile, after hearing that, i just stopped buying it  :-\

I take the Minoxidil also for the heart.. I have noticed for what it is worth a slight and I do mean slight, improvement of hair growth on top of my head but a lot every where else...Boxman

I took Minoxidil too and i got more hair growth on my face than anywhere else  ::)  needless to say, got a new drug and got my face waxed and never looked back, lol  ;D

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »

I've been having big time hair loss the last nine months and I'm pre-dialysis. The doctor thinks maybe it's my high blood pressure medicine (Catapres) which I'm currently trying to switch to see if it helps. I already lost most of my hair during chemo to treat Goodpastures disease and luckily most grew back. Having already been there, I don't think I can handle hair loss again.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »