I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 04:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can't seem to get enough sleep...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't seem to get enough sleep...  (Read 4419 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: November 24, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »

When I last saw my nephrologist  in early Nov. my GFR was at 18.  However, the last few weeks I have slept almost constantly!  When did you start to sleep all the time?  Was it when it was time for you to start dialysis or way before?

I might add that I've never been a daytime napper.

Thanks

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 05:21:32 PM »

HI,
My son seems to have days like that. His is due to his anemia. And I guess dialysis too.
Lori/Indiana
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:29:37 PM »

Jenna was sleeping more and more in the 2 months prior to beginning dialysis.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 06:05:51 PM »

There are days that I could sleep around the clock and then nights when the insomnia takes over.  Today I woke up at 11--and my husband asked me what was wrong? Did I feel bad?  I have slept on and off all day.  BTW-my GFR is 15. Been between 15 and 18 for months. I know I have less energy each month, less appetite, more fatigue, more vomiting----isn't this fun?? I find I want to be alone more, stay in my sleep pants and rest.  I got through Thanksgiving and had my game face on, but as soon as everyone left, I collapsed. Today I have been on the coach all day, and can't remember most of the day.  Just keep sleeping!  I feel guilty, thinking I should be doing something like cleaning or getting things ready for Christmas.  I am sorry you are going through this.  Each stage is so hard.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »

I slept like a rock for hours out of the day before I started dialysis.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Well, it seems I'm right on track then.  I lost my appetite about a month or so back, but it has returned.  I think it was just mental because I got my fistula's placed and all.  I'm not eating as much as I used to, but I'm hungry at different times of the day at least.  No vomiting at all.  I guess I have something to look forward to.

I just find myself either sleeping or wanting to sleep all the time.  And believe me, I get more than the recommended 8 hrs most nights - and still wake up feeling as if I just fell asleep an hour ago!  My husband seems to be dealing with it well.  No complaints so far.  He cooked our entire Thanksgiving dinner while I slept on the couch!  Granted, it was just him and I, and all we had was turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes!  No veggies!   ???   But I was gratefull nonetheless!   :)

Thanks again!

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »

Sleep disorders and kidney problems seem to go hand in hand. Then there is anemia to deal with. I am sleepy all the time too. My extreme fatigue that I had before the transplant was replaced with a sleepy feeling all day. After a sleep study and sleep latency test I was diagnosed with a form of narcolepsy.
You have a wonderful husband. Mine is helpful too.  :)
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »

This is my experiece from 2001/2002 because this time around I ignored symptoms until I ended up in the ER. So anyhow...beginning in about September or October I would leave work at lunch time and take a nap in my car and wouldn't eat because I had no appetite. When I got home from work, I'd go straight to bed until dinner time - my mother-in-law was staying with us, so she cooked - get up and eat, then go back to bed for the night. I started vomiting in mid-October, which is when my neph told me to get potential donors together. We got a transplant scheduled for early January, but I got very sick (not from ESRD) in late December, so the transplant got postponed until early March. I was on dialysis from December 26 until March 6. Transplant was on March 7.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Well, it seems I'm right on track then.  I lost my appetite about a month or so back, but it has returned.  I think it was just mental because I got my fistula's placed and all.  I'm not eating as much as I used to, but I'm hungry at different times of the day at least.  No vomiting at all.  I guess I have something to look forward to.

I just find myself either sleeping or wanting to sleep all the time.  And believe me, I get more than the recommended 8 hrs most nights - and still wake up feeling as if I just fell asleep an hour ago!  My husband seems to be dealing with it well.  No complaints so far.  He cooked our entire Thanksgiving dinner while I slept on the couch!  Granted, it was just him and I, and all we had was turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes!  No veggies!   ???   But I was gratefull nonetheless!   :)

Thanks again!

I am at exactly the same point you are! I had lost my appetite for a while, but now it's back, sort of. For the last week, I have either been sleeping all day and night or I'm a walking zombie! I couldn't even stay awake on Thanksgiving at the in-laws house. No vomiting yet tho. It's horrible! And to make matters worse, when I peed the other morning, my urine was brown! It hasn't been since thankfully. My stupid nephrologist can't get me in until January either! Agghh!   :banghead; At this point, I have no idea what my GFR is tho. It was at 19 a few months ago. I just don't know what to do.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »

Yes, we are very much the same it seems.  You probably know this, but I believe he "brown urine" could be blood. ????  Once, a few years ago, when I was at work when I went the the restroom it looked as if I'd thrown a glass of cherry Kool Aid in the toilet!  But it's never happened again.  ?????

During the day if I'm not sleeping I also find myself just zombie-like.  Sometimes I'll get a burst of energy - enough to do a load of laundry, play with my dogs, maybe get on the computer to check out what's going on on IHD, but quickly and suddenly I crash and all I want to do is veg.  When I sleep it's only for about 1.5 to 2 hrs and never multiple times a day, but it's become a daily event.  I forced my self to go to the gym this morning and it took every bit of energy to move my legs and walk on the treadmill.  Once I passed the 9 minute mark my energy kicked in.  I have monitored it in the past and it's funny that it's almost always 9 minutes.  But my stomach was getting upset.  I think it's because of the antibiotics I'm on.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:22:57 AM »

My stomach has been upset since 4:00 this AM. I only slept until 10 today, but I still feel icky. I don't think my husband's dealing with it as well as yours. He stormed out of the house this morning after asking me if I planned on falling asleep again and a few words about an upcoming doctor's appointment!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »

I think my husband is definitely tired of hearing me complain.  I tell him "If you could only live in my body for one day you would understand how weak and tired I am most of the time".  He says he understands and he himself never gripes about my sleeping or my "laziness", but I know he's tired of me talking about it.  He's having more of a hard time with my loss of libido!  He doesn't understand that!    :lol;

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 09:09:41 AM »

I think my husband is definitely tired of hearing me complain.  I tell him "If you could only live in my body for one day you would understand how weak and tired I am most of the time".  He says he understands and he himself never gripes about my sleeping or my "laziness", but I know he's tired of me talking about it.  He's having more of a hard time with my loss of libido!  He doesn't understand that!    :lol;

I've pretty much just stopped telling him how I feel. I did break down last night because he could tell I wasn't well and he asked. I had even mentioned that I had a bad Thanksgiving because I was so tired. I just don't know what his problem is all of a sudden. Oh, and I know all about the loss of libido situation!  ;)

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »

You see, I'm just gonna have to make him sit down and read these message boards so he knows I'm not just making it up!   :lol;]

He came in from work yesterday and said that one of our neighbors across the street died two weeks ago.  He was shocked that she went so quickly.  She was diagnosed with cancer of some sort a few months ago.  We weren't close to them by any means, but we spoke in the yard, waved when driving by, etc.  He said "We really need to get to know our neighbors more and go visit "Rose" (the lady across the street who had some sort of heart surgery a while back).   He was just all concerned....

Maybe it's just the woman/bitch in me, but I couldn't help but think (to myself, of course)  I wish you would take the same interest in MY disease and illness and get to know more about CKD.   :banghead;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »

Geeez - Maybe a subtle hint... hehehe

However, reaching out to your neighbors will actually help you in the long run. You may find more support for your situation than you realize.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »

I'm not the patient and I have a horrible time with sleeping. I'm a real light sleeper anymore. My doctor even put me on Lunesta and I still wake up during the night and usually get up real early. I'd love to get 8 hours of peaceful sleep. Before my husband got sick in 2001 I could sleep like a rock through anything. Not anymore.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 11:45:36 AM »

You see, I'm just gonna have to make him sit down and read these message boards so he knows I'm not just making it up!   :lol;]

He came in from work yesterday and said that one of our neighbors across the street died two weeks ago.  He was shocked that she went so quickly.  She was diagnosed with cancer of some sort a few months ago.  We weren't close to them by any means, but we spoke in the yard, waved when driving by, etc.  He said "We really need to get to know our neighbors more and go visit "Rose" (the lady across the street who had some sort of heart surgery a while back).   He was just all concerned....

Maybe it's just the woman/bitch in me, but I couldn't help but think (to myself, of course)  I wish you would take the same interest in MY disease and illness and get to know more about CKD.   :banghead;

Yeah, I even gave my husband a couple of books to read. He said he's reading one of them, but I've never actually seen it in his hands. I was thinking about having him read IHD too, but I just don't want to relinquish my private space yet.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 03:17:56 PM »

My hubby does not complain about me being tired all of the time, because I am the bread winner at the present time. However the lack of libido drives him nuts. Poor guy.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 09:09:56 AM »

I'm convinced the lack of libido was the beginning of the end of my previous marriage (not to worry, there were LOTS of other problems).

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »

It's funny...I can usually tell when it's time for another round of Epo when my sex drive seems to be in neutral...but the center called and said start the stuff back up yet "neutral" has not been a recent problem...maybe I'm getting a case of libido returnus!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »