I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:29:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Iron IV and infiltration
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron IV and infiltration  (Read 7979 times)
Just Me

« on: November 21, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

I had to have an IV of iron given to me this morning. While inserting the needle, the nurse missed my vein and started to dig. (ouch!!)  She couldn't get it in so she had to try another vein. Things were going well until I noticed my arm was starting to bulge around the needle and my arm started to hurt. Both of the nurses were out for their cigarette break so I couldn't get their attention. Finally, when they came back in, my IV was finished draining. As soon as they noticed the bulge (it's golf ball sized), they said the IV had infiltrated.

When I asked what I should do about it, they gave me conflicting advice. One nurse said to put heat on it for 24 hours, then ice it. The other nurse said to ice it for 24 hours, then put heat on it. So, I'm not sure what I should do. Any suggestions? I bruise very easily so I'm not looking forward to seeing what my arm will look like tomorrow.

Learned of kidney failure--2000
Met with transplant team--Jan 2007
1st transplant surgery canceled--Sept 20, 2007
New donor found--October 2007
Started PD--October 16, 2007
Transplant scheduled for Nov 29, 2007!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »

I would go to your doctors first thing and get someone to check it out . I hope and expect it will be ok , but being given iron is a serious matter and i would certainly report the nurses for not being there while this was done. When i had my iron , i had a nurse with me all the time , she said there was so many things that could go wrong ..like i could have a bad reaction to it. In fact the first time i had it done , i could feel it travelling up my arm and it started to go all funny , like pins and needles..so straight away it was stopped! I really think you shouldnt have been left , otherwise they would have probably spotted this happening to you. I would bring it to someones attention , next time it could be someone that has a really bad reaction to it . Hope your arm isnt to painfull

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 04:46:36 PM »

I have always been told to use heat first then ice. Your arm will probably bruise even if you heat it and then ice it. Sorry to hear that happened...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »

i  don't  understand  why  you  would  get  an  iron  infusion  directly  in to  the  body,  at  my  centre, they  give  you  iron  through  the  machine(gambro)

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 05:20:22 AM »

Don't we just love some of those healthcare workers.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:04:34 PM »

Don't we just love some of those healthcare workers.

Probably the same ones that think we are too demanding and expect too much.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »