I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:23:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone have there PTH removed? Need some info!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone have there PTH removed? Need some info!!!  (Read 3069 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: November 12, 2007, 08:50:33 AM »

well my doc wants me to get it removed and I talked to the surgeon and they say there really isn't a downside to it and I will feel a lot better and less fatigued. But I want to know how tough it is to recover from
 the surgery. Does it leave a big scar? Please any info about it would be appreciated thanks everyone...
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:01:55 AM »

There are quite a few people here that have. If I can find the posts I'll let you know.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=690.0
If you do a search on parathyroids there are quite a few matches. Good Luck to you! :)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »

I personally have not had it dont (yet)  :P  But for the ones that have and i have seen there scars and it isnt bad, just a little 2 or 3 inch scar across the bottom of their neck.   They all seemed to recover somewhat quick, i know our very own Kitkatz had hers done not that long ago too, and she is doing good ;)  Hope you find the answers you are looking for my friend, good luck and keep us posted  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:39:39 PM »

Neo,

Was in hospital for about three days, the tape over my scar hurt more than the wound ! So wasn't really much pain really.Scar is relatively tiny compared to all the other scars of a renal patient.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 05:23:54 PM »

I had mine done, and today the scar is hardly visible. Just the normal about of pain you would expect to have from a surgery, you can still drink and eat (which I didn't know you could or think you could when I knew they sliced your neck, lol)... healed pretty fast, and mine was cut open twice due to a thyroid issue and them needing to take 1 more para out.

Good luck.

:grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »

Have you tried the drug Sensapar?  My PTH was high and that drug brought it right down.  It basically shuts off the Parathyroids.

Psim

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 10:14:42 PM »

I had one parathyroid glad removed nearly a year ago. I was in hospital overnight. The surgery itself was very easy -- took a couple of days to recover from the anesthesia. The incision didn't hurt much -- my scar is only about 2 inches long. The day after surgery I felt very stoned! My neph said it was because my calcium blood levels had been so high for so long, I had gotten used to it and the sudden decrease was disorienting.

The one odd thing that happened to me was that my kidney function dropped 10% right after surgery. No one knows why. I am pre-dialysis, and I really would have liked to hang onto that 10% a little longer (I had primary hyperparathyroidism -- it caused my renal failure, not the other way around). I searched the web for loss of kidney function after parathyroid surgery though, and found nothing. So maybe losing the function right then was just a co-incidence.

In any case, I have nothing bad to say about the operation. And it can help with depression as well as your bones. Just make sure your surgeon has done it before (like a hundred times!) cause it is tricky (it's right around your vocal chords), and you really want someone who knows what they're doing. Best of luck!
Krisna

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 11:12:45 PM »

Hi Neo I'm Krisna,

I had my PTH removed in March 1988 when I was 16.  They became overactive as a result of taking med for my first transplant which I received in Feb. 1980.  The surgeon then cut one up and attached clips to the pieces and put them in my left arm.  So, I still have PTH hormone just not as much.  It did take a while for them to kick in again once they were taken out and replaced. 

But I recovered quickly from the surgery and the scar on my neck is barely visible. 

P.S.  I would do more research and maybe get another opinion on it because I can't imagine not having a little bit of one in me to help regulate Calcium.  I mean, I still have problems with it but that's all dialysis related.  Talk to more doctors and also more patients!

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
highlite36

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 09:32:19 AM »

Neo-

It was good to get my pth out.  Surgery wasn't bad.  The worst part was just dealing with the hypocalcemia that came afterward.  Your body just becomes calcium hungry and if you don't get enough, you start getting side symptoms.  Numbness is usually the first sign of hypocalcemia.  But once that's in order, everything else just falls into place.  Good luck with this decision!

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:22:03 AM »

P.S.  I would do more research and maybe get another opinion on it because I can't imagine not having a little bit of one in me to help regulate Calcium.  I mean, I still have problems with it but that's all dialysis related.  Talk to more doctors and also more patients!

they never take all 4 out, they always leave at least 1/4 of one someplace. the parathyroids sit at each "corner" of the thyroid, however they are not anchored to anything so sometimes they float away and the doctor has to go hunting for them for removal. the surgery isn't a difficult one. the scar is usually small and hardly no t. if you didn't know what to look for you probably wouldn't even see mine.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Krisna

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »

Yeah, they left part of one in me and I still had the hypocalcemia for almost a year.  I had twitching, seizures and some other symptoms I can't recall right now!  But those only lasted for a little while when it would get too low but that because my mom would never take in when I needed to go.  But now as long as I take my Calcium supplements, I'm fine! 

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »