I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Care package?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Care package?  (Read 4403 times)
Beth36

« on: November 12, 2007, 08:06:16 AM »

I'm going to get a care package together for my mom and sister today.  They leave on Thursday for Mayo and we're excited/nervous!  This is just for my sister's evaluation.  We don't know when the transplant is yet....but we will next week!!!!  Anyway, I'm going to get them both some comfy pj's and robes and some cute slippers to wear at the hospital.  They are both total divas!  I was also going to put in some tabloids and other trashy mags and some Sodoku for my mom (even though I got her a battery operated handheld thingy, I'm sure she doesn't use it because she can't figure it out or someithing crazy).  Since I'm not going to be able to be there, I'd like to do something special for them.  I'm also thinking of doing one for the time they're both in transplant but don't know what to put together for them.  I'm going to try to be there but don't know if I can because I have a 3 year old (he will likely be in preschool AND he is a germ factory), my husband has a LOT of huge projects and can't take off work, and we're doing IVF for a sibling for our child.  Are there any oher things y'all might suggest?  What are some things you took with you to the hospital that you loved and couldn't do without?  I want to make sure they have things to do so that they won't get bored or nervous...and probably need to put something in there for my dad, who will be there with them both times....I didn't realize how huge this whole thing was until today, when it hit me that they're leaving on Thursday.  O...M..G....I am totally freaked out now! 

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:21:54 AM »

This is from: http://www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/infotips.cfm

Preparing for Surgery

Undoubtedly, you have learned much about the practice of patience, since you have come through much testing and waiting to learn if you can donate. Draw on this strength and use it in taking care of yourself. Organize a support system and practice being your own advocate in gathering information on what you will need to do to take care of yourself. Many donors feel that donation was one of the best and most memorable experiences of their life. With preparation and information, donors are better able to have the experience that they hope for.

The following are suggestions for preparing for surgery:

* Organize a phone tree or email group to update family and friends on the progress of your surgery. Designate someone as the lead person who will then instruct the next person on the list to pass on information. This way, you do not have to contact everyone when you may be dealing with many details in getting ready for surgery.
    * Ask your doctor to suggest a reasonable type of exercise for you to do in preparation of surgery. Many donors walk regularly before their surgery. Working out generally makes your recovery easier and faster. Follow your doctor's advice.
    * When packing for the hospital, pack loose-fitting, comfortable clothes so that your incision will not be irritated. Most donors mention bringing sweat clothes that are stretchy and soft. Be sure to also bring comfortable underwear, socks and shoes. Most donors, too, wear hospital gowns after surgery because of IVs, etc. Keep it simple. Bring some warm clothes and socks in case your room is cold. Footwear should be comfortable, easy to put on (without bending over) and non-slip.
    * If you are in any way religious, don't be shy about dropping a note to your place of worship to ask for their prayers. Apart from the power of prayer, it can be a strengthening comfort to know that people are praying for you and thinking positive thoughts for you and the recipient during this time.
    * Consider packing a small, firm pillow that you can use as a "splint" pillow for the hospital and later in the car on the way home. A splint pillow is a pillow that you hold to your abdomen for support. You can press this pillow to your abdomen when you are getting up (since your abdomen will feel vulnerable and tender). Many donors remark later that they were scared to sneeze or cough because of the fear of pain or the concern that their incision will come apart. Your abdomen will be tender, but the stitches and/or staples that are used in the incision are secure ones. Coughing will be a good thing that prevents respiratory complications. The splint pillow can help make coughing easier. Also, a small pillow makes wearing a seat belt more comfortable. You could also use a back brace to help support your back.
    * A camera is nice in capturing the donation experience and the people who helped take care of you. A radio and/or CD player can be helpful in encouraging peace and relaxation while you recover; however, do be aware that hospitals cannot always safeguard your personal belongings so you will be responsible for these items. You may find it harder to concentrate on reading material with taking pain medicine, etc. Music, magazines, or books-on-tape can be nice diversions. If you have a tape recorder, you can also record your thoughts or feelings after surgery, as you may not feel up to writing.
    * Prepare your home beforehand. Consider having a chair with arms that you can push up on to help you in getting up and down. A heating pad is a good comfort measure for incisional pain.
    * It is a good idea to limit the number of visitors the night before surgery. You won't want to go into the day of surgery feeling tired. This also includes any work that you were thinking of doing. Be sure to follow your physician's requirements regarding fasting before the surgery. Your last meal before surgery should be light and non-greasy.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:44:35 AM »

:cuddle;
What a nice thing to do!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »

Such a great thing your doing!

How about adding a disposable camera?

:grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Beth36

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 01:21:02 PM »

Thank you OKarol for the suggestions!  I'll send them firm pillows in the next package.  In this one, I sent them both those really super soft microfleece robes, flannel pjs, fuzzy slippers (bunnies and sock monkeys--they are TOO CUTE and you can find them at Target), tabloids, Sudoku puzzles, a novel for my dad to read, and some flannel pj pants for him.  I just want to do as much as I can, since I might not be able to be with them during transplant and after, until my mom is able to have more visitors.  My sister is probably going to recover at my house, since her boyfriend is deployed and she's single and lives alone.  I don't want her by herself while she recovers, so she'll fly here to VA to my house and stay with us.  I had to have a c-section with my son, so I know how sore she'll be and how tired she'll be--plus side for her is that she doesn't have the added bonus of having to breastfeed and change diapers but still sore and tired, nonetheless.   Thanks again!

Beth

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »

What a nice idea! And I learned something new from Karol, thanks Karol, for that transplant advice! Good to know! 
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 02:16:19 PM »

Yes, don't forget the camera!    :pics;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Beth36

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »

I want them to take pics but my mom and sister are soooooo not into it.  However, I'm sure that if I CAN go to MN, I will take pics and probably get cussed out A LOT in the process  ;D  Seriously, my family needs its own reality show, we are nuts.  Cool, I'm going to get my ideas together for the next package.  I was thinking of putting in some gift certificates to iTunes for their iPods. And since my child has drained all of my ability to remember things from my body/brain, I only thought of it AFTER we left the UPS Store  :oops;  Thanks again for the support! 

:grouphug;

Beth

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

Beth, that is such a nice thing for you to do, you can also write them a nice note telling them how much they mean to you (but i am sure they already know it) :)  God Bless you all and good luck to all in everything you do  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »

That's so cool of you Beth !

Any other pampering items, anything that makes you feel better, nice soaps, moisturisers, especially in the dried out hospital environment !

Hey my cousin even gave me a massage on my legs and feet while I was in hospital, that made me feel great !

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Beth36

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:12:37 PM »

Awww thanks...I put a card in there telling them how much I loved them and how proud I was of my sister.  I even got my little man to write I love you and sign his name....it's cute.  I will put their fave lotion and stuff from Kiehl's in the next box.  Should I put unscented things in the package for them after my mom's transplant?  Will she be sensitive to scents after?  I didn't know how it would be with her immune system and all that.  Plus, my dad has allergies and is really sensitive to highly scented things...and go figure, I LOVE perfume and he always got mad at me when I wore it in high school....

Beth

KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:30 AM »

You could get them a Caring Bridge site up and running...that way they have easy access to notes from friends and family, and it does limit the number of phone calls that have to be made relating the same story over and over.

Music was important to me during all my surgeries, so if they don't have mp3's or iPod's, you could get them those along with some iTunes gift cards.

Warm socks...the little footies the hospitals use are nice with the tread, but don't keep those tootsies warm.

Wish them both the best from all of us!!!

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »

Tea or cocoa packets would be nice.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 01:22:54 PM »

Chocolate, of course - she'll be allowed all she wants after - or any favorite snack that isn't allowed on the renal diet.  Does anyone know if Mayo has on-site fast-food restaurants like U Of M here in MI does?  You could send gift certificates for the restaurants.  How about a roll of quarters for the vending machines?  I've done care packages with squeezy stress balls, super balls, mini-slinkys, and other things good to fidget with, like those little water toys with the colored liquid that flows back and forth when you turn them upside down. Look in the toy section at your nearest super-store - there are all kinds of distractions.  Lollipops are always a good choice, as well as gum, mints, tic tacs, etc.  How about a deck of cards for solitaire, or a cribbage board for two people to play on.  Dominoes or a set of mahjong tiles.  Mini jigsaw puzzles are easy to find at the dollar store.  Add a pair of scissors as well - good for tags, openig packages, etc.  Scotch tape to hang up cards and pictures.  Send pics of friends who also can't go holding up encouraging messages.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 02:02:20 PM »

Along with Kit's idea, how about flavors for water? The tubes of flavoring?  You can dump it in a glass and stir them, or ask for bottles so they can just be shaken up.  Those are handy!
Beth36

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »

Those are all super fantastic ideas!  My sister's iPod died on her and I was thinking of getting her one for her birthday and then giving her an iTunes card so she could download TV shows onto it for her to watch in the hospital--I remember when I was in the hospital the TV sucked a$$....I think I'm going to find some books and things for my dad to do, too...he'll have so much down time.  That's why I hope to be there when they do the transplant surgery, I am really worried about my dad the most.  Not only will my mom be in surgery but my sister, too.  UGH!  I just wish it had been me, I'm a LOT tougher than my siblings!  However, I'm also a lot more organized and don't have a problem delegating and telling people when enough is enough, so I guess I'm good for something after all...my mom loves tea and I am going to be on the lookout for some unique teas and maybe a little pot for her in the hospital and at the hotel.  Thank you so much for the suggestions!  You are all wonderful!

Beth

KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:00:36 PM »

Oh, something else that will make their time even better...send a basket of goodies to the nurses with a card that says "these folks mean a lot to us...please take great care of them." A friend did that for both of my major surgeries and the nurses loved it all...granola bars, candy, trail mix, stuff like that. I'm sure they would have been great to me anyway, but they appreciated the gesture.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Jill D.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 08:51:15 PM »

Hi Beth - sorry, I did not read this thread until today! Did you say they are going out for your sister's evaluation? Or for the actual transplant? I only ask because if it's for your sister's evaluation, I'm pretty sure they will only be there for a few days and probably won't be admitted into the hospital but rather have a bunch of tests scheduled. In that case they will be staying at a hotel (although I highly recommend they check out the Transplant House while they are there.)
However, if it's for your mom's transplant, that will be a much longer stay (I was there for 6 weeks). These are all very wonderful and thoughtful suggestions, but just remember that whatever goes to Rochester will also have to be brought back. I was blessed to have many friends and family give me gifts before I left and I left most of it at home, which I was able to enjoy when I was back home recovering. Some suggestions: books or magazines (there is time spent waiting at appointments and these things can be left there), sweatsuits or other comfy clothes (there is a lot of clothes changing!) and of course slippers/sleepwear/robes. The clinic waiting rooms are very nice and they have a lot of magazines, televisions, puzzles, and books. I wouldn't send much in the way of food - there are many food restrictions for the different tests, and in many cases you have to fast for tests. I spent 4 days out there for my evaluation and it seems like I was either fasting or didn't have time to eat because they schedule back-to-back appointments.
When I went for my transplant I actually asked people not to send ANYTHING except cards, prayers and good thoughts because I didn't want to haul a bunch of stuff home - plus I was out there during Christmas last year!
That is my advice - hope it helps. This is such an exciting time for your family!!! I had such a wonderful experience out there last year and have very fond memories and feelings of the whole transplant adventure. I am so looking forward to driving out on Nov. 25th for my 1-year check up.
God Bless your family, especially your mom and sister!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Beth36

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »

Hey Jill!  No, this trip is for my sister's eval uation and I sent a package of pjs and stuff for them this time....we don't know when the transplant will be yet.  I'm going to try to be there when it happens but don't know for sure if I can make the trip, due to several factors.  I wanted to get some things together for them to let them know I'm thinking of them and to make them comfortable.  They'll be drivig from MS and my dad drive an SUV but I didn't think about hauling all he stuff home.  That makes sense.  They leave tomorrow morning and I'm so nervous, I haven't been able to do much else.  They're excited/nervous (I mean, who WOULDN'T be?) and can't wait to see the hospital, etc.  The people we have dealt with so far have been nothing but lovely.  Thanks everybody for the awesome suggestions and support.  This isn't as scary as it would have been without this board!

Beth

Jill D.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 07:26:59 PM »

Oh my, they have a drive ahead of them! I wish them a safe trip, and try not to worry TOO much...they will be in great hands at the clinic!!! :grouphug;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »

The Kidney Pillow™ has a distinctive kidney shape ideal for aiding transplant recipients, living donors and dialysis patients with their recoveries. This pillow provides lasting emotional and physical relief that your patients can hold on to.
http://www.therapeuticpillows.com/kidneypillow.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jill D.

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »

I received that exact pillow from Mayo when I went to my room after recovery! Beth, your mom should get one too!

Beth36

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 07:12:07 PM »

That looks like a fab pillow! I was telling my mom and sister today that I wanted to get them pillows for their bellies for after the surgery...they loved the package and the pjs were very liked by all!  I'm no on the lookout for more pjs and those pillows will definitely be in the next package!

Beth

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 08:30:23 PM »

Love them Kidney Pillows.. I have two of them, my mom has one. My first one was the color in the pic, and so was my moms, and I wrote lots of things on hers in permanent marker for her to remember how much I love her for donating her gift of life to me. My second one from this transplant, is blue.  8)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »