I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Giving gifts to doctors?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Giving gifts to doctors?  (Read 6844 times)
mariannas

« on: November 09, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »

First of all...I'm not sure where to put this so mods feel free to move if there is a better spot for it!

Ok...so I would like to give two of my doctors a little something for the holidays.  I decided that I am going to make a giant batch of fancy cinnamon rolls and distribute them as gifts this year.  I was thinking that for the doctors I would give them two containers - one to share at the office and one to take home to their families.  My question is...is this appropriate?  Normally I wouldn't do this, but these two doctors are fantastic.  I wouldn't mark it as a Christmas gift, but as a Holiday gift and really...they will be more of a thank you than a Christmas present.

Thoughts?  Opinions?
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:55:03 PM »

:)
I think that is a nice way to express how much the care they give to you means.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »

Everyone loves gifts and I am sure they would appreciate it.  I bring bigs trays of goodies at Christmas for the whole staff.  Your cinnamon rolls sound like a great idea.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »

go for it (you're making me hungry)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »

I have several friends that work for Doctors and in offices and when a patient or client gives a Dr. a gift, he usually lets his/her employees enjoy it :)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
George Jung

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 04:06:12 PM »

I had a girlfriend years ago that wrote a thank you card to a doctor that I had who had taken particularly good care of me  (Dr. Hayward I think his name was).  He was genuinely grateful for the thought.  If I went for a follow-up and she wasn't with me he would ask about her.
mariannas

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:06:28 PM »

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! 

Hehehe...I'm really excited about these cinnamon rolls.  I got the recipe from one of the foodie blogs I read, but it makes an absolutely gigantic batch of rolls.  I'm going to give a couple of pans to my old work and a couple of pans to each doctor and that should take care of pretty much all of them...that is if I don't end up eating them all myself first!  ;D
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:19:30 PM »

My husbands GP went the extra mile so many times in 2006- at one point my husband was in the hospital for the tenth time- he didn't know what the problem was- everyones fustrations were running high- I asked him 'Don't you have some machine you can stick him in to find out the problem?' he laughed and said "Mrs. Adams, I don't have a tricorder!!' I laughed too, it eased the tension at the time.... A couple of months later, my husband was better- and christmas rolled around, I bought a tricorder off ebay and gave it to him, with a card that said my husbands Dr. needed the best equipment!  he said it was the best present ever!! :santahat;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:44:52 PM »

I gave my training nurse one of my sculptures holding a thank you card.  She was really pleased - she said it meant a lot to her.  I don't think they get a lot of gratitude for what they do, and some of them really do work hard.  Cinnamon rolls sound like a great thank you - add a note as well!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 09:09:21 AM »

The only gift I can think of that would be appropriate for the typical nephrologist is an exploding cigar or a music box with a ticking time bomb in it.  If dialysis patients took over the world, almost every nephrologist would be strung up by his heels from the nearest lamp post.  In Canada, it used to be the practice that the nephrologists were paid $60 by the taxpayers for every dialysis patient they saw and talked to while making their rounds through the dialysis center.  I once offered to the manager of my unit to do the same thing for only $10 per patient, since I could just as easily say, "Renal disease is incurable; I can't do anything for you!" as the nephrologists did.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »

The only gift I can think of that would be appropriate for the typical nephrologist is an exploding cigar or a music box with a ticking time bomb in it. 

Let it out, man. Tell us how you really feel.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »

Lets see here..ya already bought him a Mercedes, a Beemer, a Vette, a big house, a vacation home, and a few girlfriends.  What else ya gonna give him?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:04:22 PM »

Lets see here..ya already bought him a Mercedes, a Beemer, a Vette, a big house, a vacation home, and a few girlfriends.  What else ya gonna give him?

I don't know about your doctor, but mine drives a Honda Civic! I'd seen him several times driving it, so I asked him about it.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
mariannas

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »

Well...I didn't give him those things, but my insurance sure did.   ;D

I guess I might be in the minority that I have two very wonderful doctors who listen to me and genuinely wish me well.  I don't get to thank them very often so I thought this would be a nice opportunity.
angellady07

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 12:59:45 PM »

Your cinnamon rolls sound yummy........  I'm glad you have caring doctors. :waving;
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

My mother is an office manager for a doctor and says that food is always the best gift fo doctors. They are so busy and appreciate just getting something to eat. I think your cinnamon rolls are a great idea. I'm now craving a Cinnabon!!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 02:44:30 PM »

Although all my docs are great, I don't really have much contact with them - they only tend to see me on a quaterly review or if I am very ill which is rare.  I bring gifts to the nursing staff though as they are the ones that deal with me on a daily basis.  I bring them a tin of choc every month and at Xmas time, I donate something for their Xmas raffle - usually a bottle of wine and some fancy chocolates.  I also give them some money which goes towards the kitty for their Xmas party.

They are all very good to me and I like to show some appreciation in my own small way.  Not many patients in my unit do any of those things and most of them are grumpy, miserable and treat the nurses like their slaves.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »

HELL NO!  I give them enough business to buy their lake house.  Isn't that enough?  How many times have they screwed up?  Do they give me a gift?  Nope just another bill! 

On the other hand when I was new to this I did feel that way.  "ohh they have done so much for me blah, blah, blah".  I learned quick that they aren't in this business because they care.  It is an easy job and someone has got to do it.

I guess I'm must bitter.

Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 04:49:48 AM »

While i was on dialysis i had given my neph a lot of gifts such as sweets and wines... he was great to me, and i am grateful for that.  :)
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 06:59:35 AM »

:bandance;  :bandance; :bandance;
I volunteer to "taste test" the Cinnamon Rolls!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 07:41:32 AM »

If you have a great Doctor why not? and after reading all the responses so far, when you get a good one- defined as treating you like a real person, being kind and having compassion, why not show your appreciation? I know they make alot of money- but the cranky mean doctors do too. We have had so many impersonal Doctors, when one slows down enough to make a personal connection its pretty nice, most of them don't bother.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »

I had a great doctor back in Maryland. She definitely was not in it for the money. The whole time I was uninsured and/or unemployed, she would see me for free. That included bloodwork and everything. And I was going every couple of weeks. She was the best doctor ever and I miss her!

Aldente

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »

Our clinic has a no gift policy which is published in the newsletter every holiday season.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »

Our clinic has a no gift policy which is published in the newsletter every holiday season.

Bah!  Is that for the docs or the techs, nurses and secretaries too?  That is kinda sad but i think it would be best in the long run that way no one would feel obligated to give a gift, especially if they cant afford it.   :twocents;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »

I have an awesome neph...I see him once a month for an extended appointment. We go over labs, adequacies, talk about any reactions or problems or concerns. I'm his first home hemo patient, so he admitted he's learning about it all as we go, but he's open to anything that will get me to the five year mark and a transpant. He's even willing to let us test a 3 day on/1 day off schedule...as long as my numbers stay good...if they drop, he told me straight up that I'll be back to 6 on/1 off, but I'm ok with that.

So yeah, I'm guessing my wife will whip up some goodies for him and his nurses for taking such good care of me.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »