I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:33:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  New to Dialysis Social Work
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to Dialysis Social Work  (Read 4920 times)
BJBerhorst

« on: October 25, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »

I have been a social worker for 4 years working in the acute care side of the hospital. I recently took a position (6 months ago) as a Dialysis Social Worker for a hospital with 3 units. I knew nothing of Dialysis coming in and have been very fortunate that patients have taken the time to educate me. I enjoy the relationships and bond that can be formed in the dialysis setting as opposed to the acute care setting. I have an excellent coworker with 4.5 yrs of Dialysis Social Work and she is very helpful and seems to understand the diverse needs and wishes of most dialysis patients. I am looking for ways to help support the dialysis patient and their families/caretakers and my leaders suggested i join this chat.

Thanks to everyone here i am sure i will find great information and ideas. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:19:06 PM »

Welcome to the site.  It is good to see someone who works with patients looking for informaiton.

kitkatz,moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:38:43 PM »

Hello there BJBerhorst,  Welcome to ihatedialysis.com.  Seek and you shall find ;)   There is alot of info here mostly all from patients, some from dialysis employess, caregivers, family members, you name it, they are here.  We have become one close family who are always willing to give encouragement, advice, or even a hug if its needed  :cuddle;  I look forward to hearing more from you soon.   :2thumbsup;

Goofynina/Admin.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »

:welcomesign;  I am glad you are taking the time and steps to learn!

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »

Welcome to the site BJ.  I think the best skill of a social worker is to listen.  Don't try and fix everything because you can't.  You can help with financial and transportation, but our emotions have to be worked through.  Just send your clients here for an emotional boost.

Welcome and I hope we can help.

Rerun                      :waving;

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:31:34 PM »

Welcome to our community!  You have come to the right place if you want to get a glimpse of the renal patient's perspective.  We applaud your caring enough to come.  One thing you have to be prepared for, though, is the biting honesty that can be expressed on this site.  Our founder started it with the idea of a place where people can tell it like it is without fear of being censored (excluding vulgarity, of course).  So have a look around our site.  There is loads to read.  When necessary, please feel free to ask questions (and to answer some as well).  I am from the Caribbean and in our system renal patients don't even see the Social Worker unless there is a particular social problem.  The Social Worker only came into play for me recently because I might be remigrating to my homeland and the exchange of documentation has to be done Social Worker to Social Worker.
So take advantage of this site.  We even have Off-Topics where we discuss ANYTHING!  And there is a special place for workers (like yourself) to vent when they want to.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:08 PM »

Welcome BJBerhorst,  good to have you aboard.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »

:welcomesign;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »

Welcome to ihatedialysis.com BJBerhorst,

Jumped right in with both feet, you are a mighty brave soul... :lol; Truly appreciate the interest you have in the dialysis field. It is amazing some of the stories you will read here and I hope you keep am open mind that we speak openly here both the positives and the negatives, but your posts will be welcome.  Share what you learn and we will help you through. It takes a special person to do what you do.

Sluff/ Admin
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 03:38:11 PM »

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 07:03:01 AM »

Hello and  :welcomesign;

It's not easy being green.
pinkrose

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 01:48:10 PM »

It's nice to see people reach out beyond their job! Welcome!  :clap;

A life with love will have some thorns, but a life without love will have no roses.
cmpgelen

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »

:boxing;  BJ uses his good looks and charms to win over the patients.  That and he shows pictures of his puppies.   :boxing;  Love ya BJ  :urcrazy;
keefer51

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 02:09:24 AM »

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »