I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Mom is in the hospital
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mom is in the hospital  (Read 11559 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: October 24, 2007, 05:22:51 AM »

Mom went to the hospital last night with chest pains, clamy - sweaty feeling, burning and shoting pains in both her arms. Her bp was 190/80. The EMT's gave her nitroglicerin and baby aspirin on the way to the hospital. They took xrays they said of her chest and lungs. Lots of blood work and the nurse blew a vein in the top of mom's hand. Boy did that swell fast - gave her warm packs to put on it.

Her blood sugar is critical high at 616! She said that morning it was 147. Could it jump that high so quickly? They gave her an insulin drip.

I made sure that everyone that came into the room knew of her kidney condition. The one nurse that blew her vein when I told her mom was at 14%, she said 'End stage?' My sister Cath said, 'well, we don't know all the terminology yet - her appt with the kidney doctor is 11/6. She's just got mapped so far.' We don't want mom to hear that right now even if it is true! So finally about 11:45 a PA comes in that I tell and she says she was wondering about that. I couldn't ask her more because she had to finish with mom and I don't think she felt she knew enough to talk about it. When I was getting water, the PA was there and I told her more about the kidneys and asked what the creatine level was. She said 3. I just looked up what the numbers range from and it showed that 10.0 was a high for adults (I'd look for the answer in here but I have to scoot out of here back to the hospital - mom had to stay in an emergency room bed because the hospital was at red, but the EMTs asked Cath (one was her neighbor) where to take mom and that there was only one hospital that wasn't red...but they asked where she preferred and took her there. When they were wheeling mom in they went by the room my dad always seemed to be put in and mom said to herself "please not there."

She got to the hospital about 8:20pm. I left at 12:10am and her sugar was still over 500, blood pressure was 168/84. I hope I find her in a better condition this morning. If you could tell me if 3 is really a number to be nervous about, I'd appreciate the insight. I'll post an update when I get home today.

take care everyone and thank you

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:27:38 AM »

Sorry to hear about our Mom, I have diabetes also and my sugars have been that high before but they are dangerously high even at 500. Some people go into a coma at that level. You have your Mom in the right place and I hope she recovers quick. Just wondering what the term RED means when you talk about the hospitals. Does that mean they are full?
Here's a hug for Mom  :grouphug;
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:28:25 AM »

Oh my. I so hope her bp comes down quickly.  That's scary, for both you and her!  I will be praying for you and your mom, that all goes well. :grouphug;
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:42:34 AM »

Sorry to hear of your mom, praying for you.  Sounds like a 3 isn't too bad, mine is like a 13.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:32:41 AM »

I know you are scared and worried.  If there are things you don't understand that the docs or nurses are telling you, ask people here. Usually someone has the answer.  Remember we are all here for you and I will say some prayers for your Mom and the whole family :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:05 AM »

Hoping things are better for your mom today  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:51:14 AM »

So sorry about your Mom, I hope all her numbers come down and she feels better.

I would re-check her tester.  If her sugar is that high she has an infection or she hasn't been taking her medicine to control it.  500-616 is dangerously high and as Sluff said, she could go into a coma.

Is she insulin-dependant diabetic or on pills?  It's easier to bring down an ID diabetic with insulin, don't know much about the pills.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 06:27:48 PM »

Hi ODAT,  How is your mom today?  Hopefully she is doing better and they were able to bring her sugar down.  Please keep us posted  :cuddle; Godspeed

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:30:01 PM »

They kept mom again tonight. She had to "sleep" in the ER last night. Red does mean the hospital is full. Her sugar is now at 200. BP is 168/84.

The PA this morning was doing her check and mom told her that she had her knee and hip replaced and was getting the other one done, and that she had a cortisone shot yesterday. The PA yells "BINGO!" that's why your sugar is so high. I asked her how come none of the other doctors or PAs made that connection. Of course, she didn't really have an answer. My sister Cathy took her for the cortisone shot and had a paper, which she read when she got back to the hospital after I told her what the PA said. It said that if you were diabetic, you could see a slight increase in your sugar from the cortisone shot. Well, I don't know. When I was walking into the hospital this morning, I ran into her PCP and he said it was the steak she ate for dinner. Mind you, this happened before the PA made her comment to me and my mom.

I got to the hospital at 9am and left at 8pm. I have to go to work tomorrow so won't see her till lunch - unless I need to go sooner. She was gone for stress test from 1 to 4 and talked to a cardiologist who was assigned to her. We haven't heard results yet. She is on oxygen and a heart monitor - I think it's the kind that goes to the nurses station because it is just a gray box with the leads.

She does use insulin and glucafage. Her doses have fluctuated from 10 to 16 to 12.

thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and suggestions! much appreciated. talk to you when I get an update.

Edit: I cannot believe I forgot to include this. The cardiologist came to mom's room and said that if my mother needed an angioplasty that the kidney doctor would have to be there to dialysize to remove the dye from the kidney. Some 'jerk' doctor who was there when she went for testing, told her that he didn't have to be there. It made mom upset - mom's name is Carole btw - and when she came back down I could tell she was crying and I asked her if it hurt and she said no, then told me about him. She said the nurses there said they have no idea why he would say that. The PA that saw my mom after the testing KNEW who she was talking about. Sad if this doc has a rep like that - motormouth.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 07:04:59 PM by ODAT » Logged

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 06:33:49 PM »

Hope it was just the cortisone shot, wouldn't that be a blessing!
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 07:28:40 AM »

Cath just called and said that mom needs an angiogram that they found blockage at the bottom of her heart. They will either do a stent or by-pass depending on what they find. From the little I've read, it looks like they can put a stent in while they are doing the test. I was going to work all day, but I don't think I can. I have no time left to take off due to all the time I took off when my dad was in the hospital. With everything that has happened to my family though, I'm sure my boss will understand that I need to be there.

The complications of an angiogram scare me especially with someone who has kidney issues. What creatine level is considered serious enough to start dialysis? Mom's is at 3 and we haven't met with the kidney doctor to know when he thought she should start. I see that traci is at 13. Traci, is that your creatine level or creatine clearance number? I ask because of the info I found this morning:

Creatinine level relates to the kidneys' loss of nephrons like this:

Creatinine levels versus kidney damage
Creatinine level Kidney's approximate nephron loss
0.6 to 1.5 mg up to 50% nephron loss possible
1.6 to 4.6 mg over 50% nephron loss possible
4.7 to 9.9 mg up to 75% nephron loss possible
over 10 mg 90% nephron loss possible, end-stage kidney disease

Creatinine Clearance
This is not a routine test - A creatinine clearance test compares serum creatinine to the amount of creatinine eliminated in urine during a given time period, usually 24 hours. To start this test, you empty your bladder and flush it. Then you get to collect all your urine during the next 24 hours - nothing like carrying around a bucket full of pee to further your social life, huh? <g> During the test period, one blood sample will be taken to measure serum creatinine. Then they can compare the amount in your blood to the amount passed in your urine.
     Standard values are:

Adult men: 85 to 135 ml/minute
Adult women: 80 to 120 ml/minute
Pregnant women: 150 to 200 ml/minute
Elderly: values go down about 10% per decade after age 50

If your creatinine clearance approaches 10 ml/minute, dialysis may be necessary

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:35:28 AM by ODAT » Logged

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 04:20:12 PM »

My Father-in-law just had an angiogram done and they found alot of blockage in his stomach ???  He has a very bad ulcer on his leg (he is diabetic) and they said if they dont get this surgery done then he could lose his leg, now they await for the clearance of his cardiologist.  I am so glad there are actually people who still know what they are doing, lol,  :bow;

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »

ODAT, I so pray that the angioplasty will be successful AND uneventful. Your mom has gone through so much, darn it. All I can do for you is offer a virtual ear for you to talk and vent. My prayers and best wishes go out to you and your mother.  :grouphug;
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »

I am so thankful all of you are here for me and everyone. Mom will have the angiogram done tomorrow afternoon. The doctor said if they have to put a stent in they will do it right then. If she needs bypass surgery, she will have to go to another hospital. If things are good and she has to go for surgery, they will send her home and schedule it. If they run into complications, they will ambulance her over. The doctor said he knows they will find something based on her abnormal stress test.

Because of her kidney condition she will get extra types of fluid prior to the procedure. One of the risks is damaging the kidney with the dye. If that happens, she will need temporary dialysis. It's further complicated. Mom's blood levels dip below 30 and she has to get shots (she must have said the name five times today - can't remember) to bring it back to 35. The doctor said it was low, didn't say how low but I will be sure and ask tomorrow. If it's low, why can't they give her the shot? Mom was always told that she had bleeding internally but never where or how come. I'm beginning to, actually have been, think that her pcp should be changed.

Mom is nervous, scared, anxious, but says "git er done." She is so not a red-neck lol. I walked in tonight and she was having dinner. I asked if she left the meatloaf for last or didn't she like it. She said she didn't like it - "I don't even like my own!" she's a pip.

I'll talk to you tomorrow and let you know how things went. I'll also tell her that you all give her your best!

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 07:06:51 PM »

My Father-in-law just had an angiogram done and they found alot of blockage in his stomach ???  He has a very bad ulcer on his leg (he is diabetic) and they said if they dont get this surgery done then he could lose his leg, now they await for the clearance of his cardiologist.  I am so glad there are actually people who still know what they are doing, lol,  :bow;

Amen to that! I am almost thankful that she got to the hospital when she did before things were much worse. We are staying strong in the belief that she is 'just in for repairs and will be good as new - even better.'

Hope you're doing well. Glad you all had a grand ole time in Vegas. That's a place I'll never see - I'd go broke - no willpower!

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 03:13:52 PM »

Wow, what a day. I was working away on an actually fun project, planning to leave at 11:30 to go to the hospital since the doctor said it would be in the afternoon and that mom wouldn't be going before then. My sister texted me at 10:30 and it read "They did it in the am!" I cried out "Unbelievable!" A coworker looked at me and I told her what was going on. They took her at 8am. She told us she was scared &^$#less. Anyway, I left right away and they were just bringing her back to her room.

They put a stent in. The artery was 95% blocked. The other one is 40 to 50% blocked but they have to wait till it's 75%. The doctor said he may put a stent in her kidney. I was so tired I wasn't paying attention by then I was ready to leave because my sister got there and I 'tagged' out. He walked in just as I was walking out. Anyway, I thought I heard sis and doc discussing that she may not then need dialysis?! I haven't had time to research.

We got in there, mom told the nurse her chest felt tight. The nurse took her bp it was 172/77. I said, "that's pretty high" She said "Oh it's probably because we were moving her around so much." I just looked at her. She came back about 2 min later with nitro pills! Mom ended up getting two and the bp went to 126/74. About 2 hours later it was 147/78. Mom sure perked up after those pills. She will be getting them when she goes home - not sure when she goes home.

They are giving her a special drink to help flush the kidneys - sounds like musenix. Smells like rotten eggs the nurse said, but it is mixed with ginger ale.

got to go eat dinner. talk to you later

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 03:28:12 PM »

Oh ODAT, that is great, glad to hear mom is doing better, i am glad they caught that blocked artery and they are going to keep an eye on the other one also ;)  Thanks for keeping us posted, hopefully now you can rest a little easier  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 04:49:10 AM »

Glad your Mom is doing better.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 07:15:44 AM »

oh man! I am so glad they caught that, just in time, too!  she'll feel better when she goes home, I'm sure!
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 02:48:26 PM »

Hi everyone, thanks for your support~ Mom will get a stent in the artery going to her kidney on Monday. she is feeling much better. I'll let you know how she does on Monday. The pcp thought it would improve her kidney function. We'd like to talk to the kidney doc too.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 03:16:30 PM »

Glad to hear a little good news.   :thumbup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »

ODAT, you need a rest,...pause..and you will soon find out that everything is well with prayers. All my love and prayers too. Sometimes we all have to go through this for a reason.
love,
cris

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
letaek

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 04:30:27 AM »

yay-glad to hear good news.

Will always love you Dad-hemo for 2 years & passed away 10.28.07
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 05:41:19 PM »

Glad to hear about your mom, sounds like God has more work for her here!  btw, my 13 is high, even on home hemo... that is why they uped my time on to 2.5 hours and increased my dial. to 17.  That was last month's labs, and I heard this month is better, but I have to wait for Tue. when I see mt neph to get my new #.  I don't have much function left though, already knew that.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

:2thumbsup; whew, really hope your Mom is on her way to recovery.
cris

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »