I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Did anyone lose their appetite before beginning dialysis?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did anyone lose their appetite before beginning dialysis?  (Read 9118 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 05:08:24 PM »

i dont have much of an appetite either i eat once a day, maybe twice, but thats not often...i do however get cravings for sour things like lemonade limade iced tea and sour candies

I have been doing PD for about a year and 1/2 now and i just started on this lemon kick too, i wonder what that is all about?  I dont crave food, i crave lemonade  :urcrazy;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
mariannas

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »

Yes.  Definitely.  I lost about 20 pounds over the last 5 months.  The first couple of days of PD were rough too since that full feeling was sooooo uncomfortable.  Now, over two weeks after starting I am absolutely ravenous.  It will be good for me to put a little weight back on (I went from 105 to under 85!) so I have welcomed being hungry again. 
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »

Very good question.  In about the 9 or 10 months before I started I did lose most of my appetite.  I was telling myself that I was on a diet and only eating one meal a day (lunch).  It is amazing how we can convince ourselves of something as silly as that and actually believe it.  I lost around 45 lbs. during those months.  I never threw up but after every meal I did experience intestinal discomfort.

All of this changed after I started dialysis.  My appetite was back and the problem I mentioned before completely went away.
Krisna

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »

Yep!  I weighed 90 lbs when I started dialysis in Oct. 2002.

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 06:53:59 AM »

I never threw up but after every meal I did experience intestinal discomfort.

I have the exact same problem!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 08:12:50 AM »

I lost a bunch of weight before starting dialysis...but mostly because two surgeries took out my big ol' diseased kidneys! I have regained my appetitie and have put back on a couple of pounds, but mostly seem to have found a good weight for me to handle daily home hemo and still have energy and strength to work fulltime as well.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 08:23:03 AM »

;D dont worry about it Goofynina, i believe the whole world should bow to the awesomeness that is lemonade.  even though it has the unfortunate side effect of killing tooth enamel :p
Krisna

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 07:44:18 PM »

I threw up during and after dialysis for the first couple weeks.  I had waited longer than my doctor wanted me to so, vomiting was my body's way of ridding toxins!  I have intestinal problems but that's because I'm missing a large chuck of my sm. intestine.  I just have to eat smaller portions and eat more times a day.  So instead of eating 3 regular meals I eat 4 or 5 smaller meals.  I make sure that I get lots of protein.  Also for the ones who get nausea, try crackers with unsalted tops or get salt free corn chips from you local health food store!  Ginger ale works well for me too!  I use the Thomas Kemper Ginger Ale.  It's made with real Ginger.  I used to have nausea on a daily basis and my nephrologist prescribed something for me so that I could eat.

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
Jannie

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »

i also crave lemonade. After I finish my hemo, I walk to the hospital cafeteria and buy a large bottle of lemonade and chug it down. I love lemonade.Ii even eat it frozen out of the can, I believe the early romans treated kidney disease by eating lemons.  Something about lemons being an alkali-forming food. Even tho they taste sour and acidic.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »

That's interesting, about the lemonade. That's my drink of choice when I go out to eat...and I add lemons when I drink tea. Interesting.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »

thats pretty cool. maybe theres somethign special about lemons, we should do a survey or something
highlite36

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »

You know what a nephrologist told me about the no hunger thing....  I've seen many nephs because I'm such a "problem" child.  Everything that can go wrong with a renal patient, I've gone through....  You name it, I've had it....and ALL of the nephs agree that the reason why I'm not hungry is due to the failing kidney.  I've just been told that it's normal to not have any hunger when your kidneys are failing.  It's a sure sign of needing to start dialysis.  Since I've been dialyzing, I've realized that the first sign of inadequate dialysis is the lack of hunger.  They say that it's just your body telling you that something isn't right with the system. 

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 04:03:16 PM »

That makes sense to me, but how come my neph didnt tell me that  :banghead;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »

The more I read about others nephs, the more I realize how lucky I am.  He warned me that I may start throwing up long before it began.   It does help when you know others are going through the same thing. As always, knowledge is power.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 09:18:53 AM »

the funny thing about some doctors is that they can be oddly self centered "if i know this the patient should know it too' so i look stuff up before asking them just to see if i can throw them off
Marvin

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »

Fluffy,
I CRAVE lemons and have the whole time I've been on dialysis.  Here in the south (NC) when you go out to eat at a restaurant, they put lemon slices on your glass of iced tea when they bring it to you.  All of my friends/family pass their lemon slices to me to eat, and I eat the whole thing -- and sometimes ask the waitress to bring me more lemon slices on a saucer!

As for weight loss, my ESRD came on quickly, so I didn't notice it too much.  I was 375 pounds when I started hemo (almost 13 years ago).  Six months later, I weighed 225 pounds -- and I wasn't even trying to lose it!  When I got my transplant (5 1/2 years later), I put on the pounds again, and got up to 275.  When I went back on dialysis (3 years after that), I started losing again and got down to 200 pounds.  When I started Home Hemo (three months ago), my appetite picked back up.  I'm now around 250.  When I lost the original 150 pounds, I gave away my "fat" clothes, but I don't do that anymore.  I have "skinny" and "fat" wardrobes in my closet.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 08:02:07 PM »

I found out at my most recent neph appt on Thursday that my GFR is 18.  My creatinine is 4.6.  My appetite is definitely changing, but not severely.  I find myself eating smaller portions - that's once I can finally decide on what to eat.  Nothing sounds good anymore.  Also, my taste is changing as well.  Things I used to love just don't taste the same.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2007, 07:17:25 AM »

Some transplant Center have long waiting lists to get in for evaluations. My center had a one year wait time. Because I had additional injury to my one functional kidney (botched procedure) I was evaluated 5 months later.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »