I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  In Memory of a Dialysis Hero
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In Memory of a Dialysis Hero  (Read 15578 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: October 16, 2007, 11:17:54 PM »

I received an email from a friend who lost relatives to Katrina because now Katrina has claimed two more.  I asked my friend's permission to post this here, where Johnny's heroic efforts will be most appreciated.  The loss of someone so dedicated to health and safety of dialysis patients, dedicated to family and his neighbors is truly a great loss. 

His nephew, Johnny, was the Chief Biomedical Technician at the Oschner Clinic Foundation's Acute Dialysis Unit, where he maintained the purification of the water for the dialysis machines. During Katrina he was one of the few who never left.  He worked for many hours, over many days, saving lives by doing what had to be done.  I remember him going without sleep for days, and pushing himself for weeks.  Many patients would surely have died if not for him.  In the days after Katrina, the emails from my friend, some of which included forwarded IM's and emails from Johnny were compelling reading.   His caring dedication to people who needed help, especially patients, was evident.  His reports of the looting, and the danger he encountered protecting his home and neighborhood were chilling.  He was beyond heroic and his uncle, my friend, was very proud of him.  Prayers for my friend and the family will be appreciated.

Katrina Claims Two More Of My Relatives

This morning as I was coming out of a Pet Store my cell rang. It was my deceased brother’s wife. Only twice in the last five years has she called me and both of those were about death in my family. One call, was to inform me of my brother’s death and the other of her oldest son dying suddenly of a heart attack. I could tell by the tone of her voice that this was not gonna be “Good News.”

Before she got it out I asked, “Who died?” I half expected to be one of my older sisters, but she responded, “Johnny and Trish!” Johnny, as ... you may recall is my youngest nephew I wrote about who maintained the dialysis machines at the only hospital open during Katrina, and guarded all his neighbors homes from looters after Katrina.

My God! I thought, an auto accident right off! But no, the brother of Johnny’s wife shot them both dead in Houston TX during a weekend visit.

Seems that Johnny’s mother-in-law’s home on Napoleon Ave in New Orleans was destroyed during Katrina, so Johnny packed his mother-in-law and mentally sick brother-in-law up and took them over to Houston while Johnny had their house rebuilt.

Last weekend Johnny and Trish drove over to Houston to tell the family (two sisters, the mother and the whacked out brother) the house in New Orleans was ready for them to move back in.

Then none of them wanted to move back to New Orleans. The mother wanted the sisters to sign the house over to their whacked out brother and they refused. They wanted to sell it, as my niece Tammy, Johnny’s sister and my God-child, told me after I finished the conversation with my Sister-in-law.

Johnny and Trish went by her mother’s house to say goodbye for their trip back to New Orleans when the whacked out brother shot my nephew Johnny, twice, once in the side and once in the arm. Johnny died instantly, while Trish lived until Sunday morning and then died.

The brother was mad at the sisters, and we think Johnny tried to protect his wife and was shot for that.

He was the only contact with my family and we spoke daily either by phone, Ims or emails and I will miss that boy something fierce!

LOMBARD John "Johnny" Noel

Lombard age 43, of Harahan, Louisiana, was taken tragically Sunday, September 30, 2007 along with his loving wife, Patricia B. Lombard.

He was born December 26, 1963. Johnny was the Chief Biomedical Technician at the Oschner Clinic Foundation's Acute Dialysis Unit, where he maintained the purification of the water for the dialysis machines.

Also, Johnny created LWPP LLC, which provided further services to other hospitals in need of water purification. He was preceded by his father Myron L. Lombard, Sr. He is survived by many friends and family members: mother and stepfather, Doris and Joseph Letellier; beloved father of Jaret Deville; step-grandfather of Calli Graner, Jake Williams, and Dane Moore; stepfather to Christy Moore and Tonya Graner; and brother to Charles "Chuck" J. Lombard and Myron "Rocky" L. Lombard Jr., Linda H. Williams, Tammy L. Hoke and Lori L. Robinette.

He will also be missed by many nieces and nephews. Relatives and friends, also employees of Ochsner Foundation Hospital, are invited to attend the Funeral Service at Greenwood Funeral Home, 5200 Canal Blvd. (formerly All Faiths Funeral Home) on Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 11:00 AM. Interment will follow in St. Patrick #1 Cemetery. Visitation will begin at 9:00 AM. To view or sign the family guest book please visit   www.greenwoodfuneralhome.net

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:47:29 AM »

That is so sad. I am sorry for your loss - he sounded like a great guy!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:48:22 AM »

Wow!  How very sad.  A true hero has been lost.  Prayers go out to the family and friends. :grouphug;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:03:23 AM »

What does that have to do with Katrina?  I'm sad that his idiot brother-in-law shot him and his wife but next will they blame George Bush?

Sorry, but people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Good guy, bad family.  Not Katrina's fault.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:31:10 AM »

sorry for your loss- he sounded like a nice guy... I 'm sure you'll miss him.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »

What does that have to do with Katrina?  I'm sad that his idiot brother-in-law shot him and his wife but next will they blame George Bush?

Sorry, but people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Good guy, bad family.  Not Katrina's fault.

Huh? I don't think anyone is blaming anything on hurricane Katrina. I think Katrina was brought up because Johnny helped out with patients after the hurricane. The brother shot him and his wife because they wouldn't give the brother the house and he wanted it and was pissed.

Anyway, Black, I'm so sorry about this. I agree, he sounds like a great guy and will be sorely missed.  :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:15:58 PM »

Katrina Claims Two More Of My Relatives

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »

Black, I'm so very sorry for your family's loss. This is just heartbreaking.

Rerun, if Katrina had not destroyed the house in the first place, the family would not have moved to Houston, then they wouldn't have had to re-build the house and there wouldn't be the debate about who it was signed over to. That's the connection to Katrina. Black's not blaming the storm for the deaths, simply the circumstances created because of the storm.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »

Lorelle, i am so sorry for your loss,  :cuddle;  he sure sounded like an awesome man  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »

Sorry Black - pretty tragic story.

My friend who stayed in New Orleans during Katrina, and remains there still, has had two gun related killings connected to her in the last year (her friend's suicide and an accidental shooting of a teen by another with her gun.)  It's no wonder the family doesn't want to go back, it's still pretty unstable.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 06:06:16 PM »

Oh what a terrible tragedy.  The final results of Katrina just go on and on and on.
My sympathy to you and your family.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »

Oh what a terrible tragedy.  The final results of Katrina just go on and on and on.

Love, Mimi

It is ALL George Bush's Fault!                                                                                                 :sarcasm;

poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »

Love, Mimi

It is ALL George Bush's Fault!                                                                                                 :sarcasm;

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »

Love, Mimi

:rofl;  He looks like a monkey!   ;D

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »

careful...the monkeys might take offense    >:D

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »

;D

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 04:43:11 PM »

How dare you disgrace the monkey race, he only wish he could be that cute ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 05:24:44 PM »

Thanks to all of you for the nice thoughts but Johnny wasn't related to me.  He was the nephew of a friend.  Yes, he was a kind, caring and very brave guy.  His valor during Katrina was like something you would expect from a Marine or Mother Theresa.  He put the needs of others above his own welfare and humbly rejected any praise that hinted that he was a hero.  The people he saved, and those who's homes he saved, know he was hero.

Rerun, Katrina will continue to claim lives in a domino effect for decades.  The guy who shot Johnny was mentally unstable and the trauma of Katrina, being displaced from his home because of Katrina, and his inability to cope with the changes Katrina left behind, were directly responsible for his coming apart and becoming violent.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 05:27:42 PM »

New Orleans averages 17 homocides a month since Katrina.

Sorry, Off-Topic, but, was just showing how Katrina has affected peoples lives.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 06:47:16 PM »

New Orleans averages 17 homocides a month since Katrina.

Sorry, Off-Topic, but, was just showing how Katrina has affected peoples lives.

Where did you get those statistics?

Yet, we can't show advertisements or talk about 9/11.  Whatever!  I won't say anymore.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 07:12:13 PM »

I seen it last week on 20/20 when they did an investigation in the rising crime rate since hurricane Katrina.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »

The whole incident sucks, I'm so sorry for your loss Black. I wish there was something I could say or do to help.  :(   :grouphug;

Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 01:57:44 PM »

Love, Mimi

Oh, no, no, no Rerun.
Don''t try to put words in my mouth.  :sarcasm;

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 09:54:38 PM »

... Yet, we can't show advertisements or talk about 9/11.  Whatever!  I won't say anymore.

I know we're drifting off topic but I wish every news broadcast ended with pictures of 9/11, especially the ones of those poor people jumping so they wouldn't burn alive.  Too many people apparently forget too soon and need to be reminded.  I won't say any more either.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »