I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Newbie
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3331 times)
mark j

« on: August 14, 2005, 10:13:59 AM »

Hey all
  My name is Mark   I was diagnosed with PKD in 1989 and my kidneys have been slowly failing to the point where this week I started dialysis, so I'm somewhat new to this change in my life.  I have been on the kidney transplant list since december.  I still feel pretty good (except for fatigue) and have been able to keep working( Self employed 10=12 hrs/day)  Glad to have a site where I can communicate with others in the same boat!!
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 12:12:12 PM »

Hey all
  My name is Mark   I was diagnosed with PKD in 1989 and my kidneys have been slowly failing to the point where this week I started dialysis, so I'm somewhat new to this change in my life.  I have been on the kidney transplant list since december.  I still feel pretty good (except for fatigue) and have been able to keep working( Self employed 10=12 hrs/day)  Glad to have a site where I can communicate with others in the same boat!!

Welcome a board Mark glad your here I hope you visit us often. I made this place so people like us can come and get the truth about dialysis and rant or vent their frustrations. Bottomline is dialysis/kidney failure sucks, we make the best of our lives and most of us try to stay postive but I/we still hate dialysis and that's why this site is here. I'm glad you joined and I look forward to your future posts. Welcome.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
6yr Vet.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 06:33:31 AM »

hello Mark.I'm sorry to hear you just started dialysis.Remember the more time you spend on the machine the better you will feel.I was going to a dialysis unit and recieving 12 hrs of treatment.my blood work and quality of life were suffering.I then decided to up y hours to 18 hrs a week(6 times a week for 3hrs each time).I was amazed at how well I felt. Better energy.less fatique,and most of all less fluid restriction.I lasted four years  working, on 12 hrs a week.I was a framer(house builder)Because of fragile skin ,loss of  muscle mass,and increased fatique I had to give up my job.It has been Two years now ,my job now Is looking after my health,and be ready for a transplant.I have just started Nocturnal Dialysis September 1st.I am getting 35-40 hrs a week of dialysis now.I am cleaning 135liters a night.Waiting for the new diet no fluid resriction, and more energy.I could help with any questions you might have.Sincerly 6yr Vet. ;D
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »

Hi  Mark,
            I've  been on PD  for  18 months  now.    I still work  full-time  at  a  very physically demanding  job.   I still have  all my  energy  except  for  those  occasions  when  my  hemoglobin  has  dropped  (has only  happened  twice in June this  year.)    I  knew  something  wasn't  right.  You  get  to  know your body  real  well, so  I  called  my nurse.  She  drew  my blood,  and  as  soon as  she  got  the  results  that  afternoon she  told  me that   I  had  dropped from   12.2 to  10.5   It  was  taken  care  immediately  with  60mcg of  ARANESP.              I  was   back  to  "normal"  in  a couple  of  days.     
Of  course  lack of  energy  can be  attributed  to so many things.  In my  case  it  was  due  to low  hemoglobin.
                                  Take  care  and  God  bless!
                                                     Marina   :)                                           

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »