I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:06:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Centers with REUSE
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Centers with REUSE  (Read 33139 times)
NurseNae

« on: October 11, 2007, 12:17:26 PM »

I'm just a bit curious...what the feelings are towards reuse.  What have been the past experiences or have you opted out of reuse? 

I had a discussion with an LVN about reuse.  She said dialyzers have been known to be used beyond their capacity, with suboptimal results and sent back to reuse for another cleaning! I can't say for sure but unless I was having a reaction to new dialyzers I would opt out of reuse....I think.  To me it seems like a way to cut cost...afterall its all about saving a buck. *rolls eyes*

this turned out to be kinda' rant-ish...sorry all.

Nae
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:29:53 PM »

Anything to save a buck I.M.O. I used a throw away for almost a year, only because when I first started dialysis, the re-use clotted. My neph quit and the Doctor who took me over switched me back to the re-use, which I been using for the past 6 months (not the same one LOL). I check the tag for use count every time I go in  & get a new one every 30 uses.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
NurseNae

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »

ok that works for me!  I know of a few places that make the patient sign for their dialyzer as well as the tech...  You know I'm finding that people on dialysis know what they need to do and what needs to be done more often then their renal team!

Nae
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:55:36 PM »

I've never reused dialyzers, and I'm personally not a big fan of the idea. There's just too many opportunities for mistakes. I read on another site about a patient who accidentally received another patient's dialyzer. Nothing bad ended up happening, but that is a mistake that's unacceptable. Just my opinion, though. I'm sure there are people out there who have had very good experiences reusing dialyzers.

Adam 

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
NurseNae

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:01 PM »

AH YES.... 

I know somebody who loves to say.... "if you do it at Da---- , go to your locker and leave, don't tell your boss, cuz' your already fired"

Nae
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 02:19:28 PM »

fresenisu stopped reuse several years ago and I am glad for it.  You can have patients getting inadiquate dialysis from dialyzers that have been reprocessed too many times and patients can get VERY ill or die if the cleaning agent isn't completely removed from the dial before it's next use.  Besides you shouldn't be getting allergic reactions to new dials anymore anyway just because of how they are made and sanitized.  I am not sure about other manufacturers, but Fresenius's dials are extremly hypoalergenic and are now sterilzed using a special process that does not use chemicals which is where the main alergy problems come from.

It's not easy being green.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:38:19 PM »

I am allergic to the reuse dilayzers. Either the renalyn or the fibers make me sicker than a dog.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
bdpoe

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »

I won't reuse it.
...bd
qwerty

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 01:24:47 PM »

Reuse for our clinic ends at 99 uses!!! We do double sign for reuse dialyzers and also have the pt confirm it's thier dialyzer. We also double sign that renalin is cleared from the dialyzer before connecting any pt. I think 99 is way too many and we do get alot of failure due to clotting etc.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »

We reuse.

Our names are on the dialyzers in permanent black marker. There is a sticker showing what use it is, the minimum capacity and what capacity it is at now and our names and when it was last processed.

They check before each run and show us that it has been cleared of Renalin  and make sure we check to see it is our dialyzer. 

Our max use is 20 and at anytime we can tell the staff we want the dialyzer pitched and  want a new one.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 07:04:59 PM »

We do not reuse at my center. 

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 12:47:05 AM »

They don't reuse at my center, but I am told that in my home country that they do.  In fact, one of my nurses here went on a course once in my country that dealt with reuse.  That means that when I return home (shortly) they will be reusing.  Not in a hurry for that.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
pamster42000

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

At my daughter's center we were given the option on reuse and we decided againest it. My main concern was that by human error she might be given someones elses and I wasn't comfortable with the margin of error. They may be having a bad day and be rushed and use the wrong one. Beings I was with Sarah 99% of the time when she was on dialysis, in the hospital etc.  just seen "human error" happen too much for my comfort.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:51:28 AM »

Never done reuse. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »

When Marvin was in-center hemo, his clinic did re-use (30 times before starting a new one).  I questioned the re-use thing numerous times, but I was told, "That's what every clinic does."  (Looking back, I know now that I shouldn't have accepted that answer -- but, we live and learn.)  Marvin said he could always tell when the dialyizer was at the "end" of its time with him.  He said his treatments felt less and less effective with each re-use; he said he didn't get as "clean" a run the longer the dialyizer was used.

Now, we're on home hemo, and it's a new dialyizer with every treatment.  I think this is much, much better -- and so does Marvin.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

I learn something new from this site every day.  My clinic has our names p-touched on the dialyzer.  I was told to make sure MY name was on it before I sat in the chair.  I would assume by this thread that they re-use.  I'll look closer tomorrow morning and ask how many uses.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »

My people explained the procedure in my orientation and I signed it was ok.  They admitted it was cost saving and also explained the benefits to the patient, how long, etc.  Plus instruction on readin Your Name on label and checking "NO BLUS" like a pregnancy test to verifiy it was cleaned properly, etc.

You could opt out but IDGAF

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
qwerty

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »

I formally worked for Davita and I hated re-use mainly due to the risk to patients. I have seen way too many times the wrong dialyzer set up and started on a patient because pcts' were stressed for time and backed up. With only one RN on the floor it's hard for the nurse to check everything plus give meds, do assessments, etc. Also I have seen way too many renalin reactions that were chalked up to the patients other health issues. They are supposed to drain over 200ml out first then just drip the venous line on to the renalin check strip. Instead I would see them just test on the strip at full flow from the arterial line which doesnt ensure renalin is cleared. We also used ours up to 99 times!!! Pts have every right to refuse re-use and if it was my family member and knowing what I do now I would never allow it. It only takes one mistake!! Where I am now we use dry packs and I love them.
onyxtiger

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »

When I first started working in dialysis, I began as a reuse tech.  I work for Fresenius.  Fresenius did not use renalin as a disinfectant, they used formaldehyde.  I saw a few times where the wrong dialyzer was given to a patient.  It didn't happen very often, but it did happen.  There was also the potential reaction to residual formaldehyde to a patient, depending on his/her sensitivity. Despite the rigorous testing to be certain all formaldehyde was removed.
 Fresenius' policy regarding reuse was a maximum of 25 uses.  If the dialyzer fell below 80% volume from its' initial use, it was discarded.  So I had some dialyzers that would get a full 25 uses, and some that would as few as 3 or 4 uses.  Also, the reuse tech could reject any dialyzer and replace it for aesthetics, or almost any other reason that came to them.   Also, the patient could reject his dialyzer if he didn't like the looks of it. 
Personally, I was glad when Fresenius went to non-reuse.  Much safer for the patient.  Always a new dialyzer with maximum clearance capability.  The dialyzers are sterilized with an electron beam, so there is no danger of allergic reaction due to a residual chemical.

Age & treachery will always beat youth & skill
MomInDialysis

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »

I am allergic to the reuse dilayzers. Either the renalyn or the fibers make me sicker than a dog.

How did you know you were allergic to the reuse dialyzer.  What kind of reaction did you get?  The center where my mom goes is Davita and they do a test for chlorine each time the dialyzer is used.  The rinse is done in front of us and the test strip may show positive a couple of times before it shows clear.  When it shows clear, they hook Mom up.

3-11-2011
Mom nolonger uses reusable dializers.  After several days of having reactions, they switched her to disposable dialyzers.  They rinse them three times with saline, because she was still reacting to something in the unit.  Her neph suggested a triple rince and this seems to help.  If the tech trys to shortcut it doesn't do the triple rinse she has a reaction within the first 15 minutes.  This triple rinse seems to have stopped her shaking and racing heartrate.  This along with controling her fluid levels, how much they are drawing, and keeping her sugars level during dialysis has made dialysis tolerable.  It has been almost 3 years now and she still gets up 4 times a week and heads off to the center on her own.  ONE HELL OF A WOMAN at 82.   
I thank God for finding this website and appreciate all of you for your input, postings, sense of humor, and all around support.  :clap; IHD people  :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:03:51 PM by MomInDialysis » Logged

Just Checkin - Debe
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »

I had high fevers after dialysis and felt run down and awful for ages. I went to the ER seven times in two months with fever of 102-103.  They even thought I had lymphoma at one time.  A head nurse and I back tracked the dialyzer usage and figured out the fevers started when they changed dialyzers on me.  They put me on a new dialyzer and we stopped any reuse after that episode.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
nick

here iam still skateboarding even on dialysis

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

hi there most of the Dialysis center here in Philippines they are using the method of re-use dialyzer on my 1st center  asian renal care they only allowed 10 uses before change then on my 2nd center nephrology center of manila 12 uses 3rd center fresinius 10 uses now hemotek renal center 15 uses... on last 1 year and 9 month i been to 4 dialysis center because iam looking for cheaper price 

thank you and take care
Nicolas Buenafe

January 2 diagnose ESRD
January 05, 2007 start dialysis
51.5k dry weight
Braun Dialog Machine
2x a week
Blood Pump 300-380
Plan for transplant maybe next year looking for funds
caringpct

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »

My unit use to have re-use dialyzers and I use to be the one that cleaned them. In my opinion go with non-reuse. When cleaning them I was told try not to fail them and push them through their tests so that are numbers stayed good. Also, the chemicals used are horrible. If they are not checked right you could be infused with that chemical that could cause more sickness or death if enough was infused. After hearing some of the stories about the staff at some centers, I wouldn't trust them. Even if they are checked by 2 people. Mistakes happen and this is not one that should. Again, I think it is too risky and not worth the chance of causing more health concerns.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

Last year we had reuse but on Jan 1 this year it switched.  I think, but can't verify, that the state of Texas started the new requirements.  I feel a little safer -- especially after reason some or your posts here.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
grannysgirl

Why Am I still here? Cause God says so!

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »

My center has just started reusing the dializers. I personally do not like it because no one can assure me that this method is germ free. I was told today that the dializer can be used 90 times.  We are asked to verified our name on the dializer and that a test strip is clear. There has been a mix up when there were two different names on it. I do not know how that was resolved. How safe is this. Is this a money saving move of the d centers?

Duchess of VA
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »