I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 05:26:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Patients who suck up to dialysis center staff
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patients who suck up to dialysis center staff  (Read 18567 times)
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« on: October 09, 2007, 12:30:39 PM »

I know this hasn't been addressed here before, but I've got to vent!  First, I'd like to tell you about this guy Homer that rides in the van to dialysis with me. Homer goes to a different center than I do, and has been on  the transplant list for 7 years (or so he says). Howevcer, this is not about Homer's list staus, this is about his being a brown-nose. My friend Patty and I were talking in the van abo ut the renal diet and hoow it is killing this older man at our center and how we don't follow it (Her, because she is ineligible for a transplant, and I because I make a  good amount of urine and the only thing wrong with me is my creatinine is too high) Anyway, 'ol Homer butts in and says smugly, "Oh, I always follow that diet", and so I loo k back at him, and say, "Good for you if that's what you want to do, Homer." So he starts up with some crap like, "Oh, if you don't follow the diet, they can kick you out of the center because you're being disrespectful to the technicians by not following the det, they know what's best for you." and goes on to say he doesn't miss eating the "forbidden" foods. All this, while dressing to the tens to go and dialyze when he knows he can get blood all over himself. If you met this guy you would see what a brown-nose he is. He acts like the van driver is God, he never questions anything his techs say to him, etc.. This doesn't get him anywhere except loathed by other patients because no one likes a suck-up.

My next beef is with a woman named Angie who goes to my center. She's the female version of Homer, except she tattles on people like a 6 year old when she's doing the exact same thing they are. She hangs around for about 15 minutes after they tell her she can leave and she sits and talks to the dialysis techs and her battle cry is "*****! *****!  So-and-so is doing this-or-that and they're not supposed to!" She does this so that the techs think she's some sweet angel who is just so worried about other patients.  But she isn't, because she's the same freak who claims she doesn't want a kidney because it could reject, but that it's good that I'm on the list, because mine probably won't, and she says it in such a snide way that I know she doesn't really mean a word of it, and she hopes my kidney will reject so I can sit there in Hell forever just like her. Also she comments on other people's diets but she sits there and orders two large pizzas and eats them both at once. Her sucking-up also gets nowhere except alone on a Friday night because no one wants to date her or be her friend, due to her constant tattling and brown-nosing.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »

Sorry about those two @$$es, Kitsume. They will eventually learn the hard way when their potassium and phosphorous shoots to the moon. That reminds me of a lady at a centre that I dialyzed at in another town before I got my NxStage machine. This lady would whine and moan about anything and everything, treatment related or not. I found out from the nurses that she would get piss drunk every night, would eat and drink till she was near bursting, then wonder why her treatments went so bad when she would come in 15 to 20 kilos over her dry weight. My friend who I was visiting was in the waiting room and we were talking "through the wall" on our cell phones, and he said that he was relieved when she got called back to do her treatment because she was in the waiting room on her cell phone yelling and cussing about anything and everything. Normally I don't wish bad things on anyone, but I found myself relieved when they tried to stick her and her graft was clotted, and she had to go to the hospital to have it declotted. Dialysis is bad enough as it is, but rude, disgusting hypocritical patients just make it pure hell. I'm glad I do home dialysis now. I can relate to what you're dealing with. Fortunately not all patients are like this, but the ones who are just make me want to shoot someone (well, not really).

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »

Stage five chronic kidney disease is an equal opportunity disease - any sort of person can be on dialysis. Usually societal conventions or our own actions can screen out the truly difficult personalities so we don't have to deal with them. Not at dialysis, at dialysis you have to deal with them; no doubt, it can be a challenge. Suffer, adapt or go home seem to be your options.

Ipods work well as a screening device.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
George Jung

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »

Even Homer has some good quality that you could learn from and focus on rather than ranting and getting pissed off about what you dislike.  It is difficult at times to show compassion but you can use Homer as an opportunity to become a better person yourself.  It is evident that you carry this negativity with you to some degree if you are posting it here, negativity that only hurts you, Homer doesn't even know about it.

We all need to practice being more compassionate and focusing on the good in people, which everyone has.  It is a negative mind set that only brings ourselves pain.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »

Sorry about those two @$$es, Kitsume. They will eventually learn the hard way when their potassium and phosphorous shoots to the moon.

Kitsume is the one not followig the renal diet... not "Homer".

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »

But it is nice to vent when you need to isn't it?  >:D  Thankfully this is a safe place to gripe when you just feel the need, sometimes its just not possible to always be the compassionate, forgiving one. And sometimes a day goes by where you have 'learned enough' and need to expell some of the BS that gets thrust at you.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »

Even though someone is not following the diet, a brown noser is a brown noser no matter how you slice it. As suggested earlier, an IPod is a good screening device or a phone. If you don't like them, don't pay attention to them, don't even talk to them.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »

From what I read I don't see how this Homer person is a brown noser.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 08:37:51 PM »

Not Homer, the lady telling on everyone. That to me is a brown noser. Homer just needs to not butt in..lol

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

George Jung

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »

But it is nice to vent when you need to isn't it?  >:D  Thankfully this is a safe place to gripe when you just feel the need, sometimes its just not possible to always be the compassionate, forgiving one. And sometimes a day goes by where you have 'learned enough' and need to expell some of the BS that gets thrust at you.

Fair enough.  Sometimes we need to be reminded what it means to be compassionate.  A rant is cool when it is affecting you and you are in a seemingly helpless position (ie. Adam's graft) but over something like this I think we need to search within ourselves to be understanding.  We are all dealing with a horrible reality and we each have our own way of dealing with it so who are we to fault Homer.  I'm just saying ignore it or offer compassion but is it really worth being upset about.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »

I think a real good device is a pair of really good noise blocker headphones, and lots of patience.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 08:59:30 PM »

Or a big dose of Xanax... :lol;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 03:12:43 AM »

Angela,

But the thing is, my doctor tells me that I am on no restrictions, so how the hell would Homer know what my doctor wants and what he doesn't want? And the reason I said he is a brown-nose is because he walks around acting like he's so good, and saying he doesn't miss eating "forbidden" foods, yada yada yada. Also since my healthcare is between my doctor and myself, and my doctor says I'm doing well, I really don't think it's any of his business what my doctor tells me to do or doesn't tell me to do. So I amend my statement,

Homer is not only a brown-nose but he is also a busybody who really really needs to get a life. Also he's a hypocrite because he yellls and yells about taking care of oneself but then he doesn 't brush his teeth or have a reliable means to be contacted by when and if (and this is a big if because he uses his brother's cellphone as his only phone number, and it hardly ever works) because he is too cheap to get one of those dinky little $18 prepaids from Best Buy or something and put $20 on it, so maybe if he wants to yammer about taking care of  yourself, he should practice what he preaches

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »

From what you've written Homer does have one valid point - that if you don't follow what the staff (techs, dieticians say) then you WILL be considered uncompliant to treatment (because it does include all that stuff like diets etc) and that will go against you in a transplant evaluation - I am not sure how much though. In a way I can understand him suggesting it is a good idea to stick by the diet.. but I think what I would be saying if I was him more that you should follow the advice given by the staff because it may go against you if you're considered to be non-compliant.

Kitsune, it's great you have no stated restrictions (I am envious :) ) but I am concerned your venting shows you're spending a significant amount of emotional energy on worrying about what "Homer" or the other woman in your clinc is like and so on. Frankly if they want to "brown nose" or be annoying... that'sup to them... You might be better off for your own good to get an ipod or something and tune it up loud enough so you don't have to hear these people. It may seem rude, but it may also be more helpful for your own sanity not to worry about them.

One other though... I don't know this "homer" person and perhaps you don't really.. maybe he is in financial difficulty and HAS to rely on his brother's cell phone for contact. Yes - it might appear that he could do better, but that's also up to him.. what's it your business what he's doing? Now if his personal hygene is so questionable (and yeah it doesn't sound too good) then in the same spirit of "giving advice" as you don't like from him, perhaps you could suggest to him a tube of Colgate wouldn't go astray.

Personally though I tend to ignore such people. I reckon karma will come back at some stage. I try to do the best I can for me... so I watch my fluids and my diet and all that and am very compliant.. that may make me a brown-nose in your book, but frankly I reckon if I do the "pain" now I will so gain when my turn for a life changing kidney transplant comes along (please be soon! please be soon! Hey you.. up there.. are you listening??? I'm being REALLY good!! Just ask Santa!! :) oh well yeah I did have that coke today... oops!)...

just my thoughts for what little it's worth.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
George Jung

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »

Angela,

But the thing is, my doctor tells me that I am on no restrictions, so how the hell would Homer know what my doctor wants and what he doesn't want? And the reason I said he is a brown-nose is because he walks around acting like he's so good, and saying he doesn't miss eating "forbidden" foods, yada yada yada. Also since my healthcare is between my doctor and myself, and my doctor says I'm doing well, I really don't think it's any of his business what my doctor tells me to do or doesn't tell me to do. So I amend my statement,

Homer is not only a brown-nose but he is also a busybody who really really needs to get a life. Also he's a hypocrite because he yellls and yells about taking care of oneself but then he doesn 't brush his teeth or have a reliable means to be contacted by when and if (and this is a big if because he uses his brother's cellphone as his only phone number, and it hardly ever works) because he is too cheap to get one of those dinky little $18 prepaids from Best Buy or something and put $20 on it, so maybe if he wants to yammer about taking care of yourself, he should practice what he preaches

WHO ARE YOU MAN.  MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD FIND FAULT IN YOU AND GRIPE ABOUT IT.  It sound to me like you are the one that should get a life and quit worrying so much about Homer and worry more about yourself.   :twocents;  Nobody is perfect, get over it. 
George Jung

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 12:07:01 PM »

I know this hasn't been addressed here before,

There is a reason for that.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »

WHO ARE YOU MAN. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD FIND FAULT IN YOU AND GRIPE ABOUT IT. It sound to me like you are the one that should get a life and quit worrying so much about Homer and worry more about yourself. :twocents; Nobody is perfect, get over it.

Sounds to me like the ol' George is back  ::) 
I know this hasn't been addressed here before,

There is a reason for that.

Anyone can rant about anything at anytime, that is the whole reason Epoman created this awesome site  :2thumbsup;  miss you Boss  :angel;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

Some patients may say I'm a "suck up."  And some staff persons may say I'm intimidating.
So I would say that I must be doing it just about right.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »

Some patients may say I'm a "suck up."  And some staff persons may say I'm intimidating.
So I would say that I must be doing it just about right.
 8)

You're just being renalistic.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 08:48:41 PM »

You're just being renalistic.

How true.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 05:35:00 AM »

I don't see being compliant as being a suck-up. I see it as keeping myself feeling as best I can under very trying circumstances, and keeping myself as healthy as I can so that when my turn comes, I don't have to turn down a kidney because I'm not a suitable candidate for a very difficult surgery.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 05:50:11 AM »

Angela,

Homer is not only a brown-nose but he is also a busybody who really really needs to get a life. Also he's a hypocrite because he yellls and yells about taking care of oneself but then he doesn 't brush his teeth or have a reliable means to be contacted by when and if (and this is a big if because he uses his brother's cellphone as his only phone number, and it hardly ever works) because he is too cheap to get one of those dinky little $18 prepaids from Best Buy or something and put $20 on it, so maybe if he wants to yammer about taking care of yourself, he should practice what he preaches

WHO ARE YOU MAN.  MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD FIND FAULT IN YOU AND GRIPE ABOUT IT.  It sound to me like you are the one that should get a life and quit worrying so much about Homer and worry more about yourself.   :twocents;  Nobody is perfect, get over it. 

I have lots of faults, and I feel free to share them... nobody is perfect is my motto. I don't know this Homoer personal at all, but I was replying to what was being said, you know, joining in the convo :)

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 11:27:57 AM »

Even Homer has some good quality that you could learn from and focus on rather than ranting and getting pissed off about what you dislike.  It is difficult at times to show compassion but you can use Homer as an opportunity to become a better person yourself.  It is evident that you carry this negativity with you to some degree if you are posting it here, negativity that only hurts you, Homer doesn't even know about it.

We all need to practice being more compassionate and focusing on the good in people, which everyone has.  It is a negative mind set that only brings ourselves pain.

Ummm...does anyone else besides me remember the soda tirade? George, you've had your moments of not practicing compassion too.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »

Georges soda rant was because he was being treated like a child, he wasn't nitpicking the techs personality, he was pissed about a dumb rule- I do not think you can compare this rant with that one- they are two dif. animals.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
George Jung

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

Ummm...does anyone else besides me remember the soda tirade? George, you've had your moments of not practicing compassion too.

Do you mean this.....  
  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3465.40
How are the two similar?  

I know I am not perfect and I know we all have our moments that we need to just let out a bit if steam, I have that understanding.  Also, I am compassionate toward this particular topic too and Kitsune, although I feel what I said was warrented.  Usually my moments of weakness are when others are treated wrongly (bashing Homer and other patients without taking their situations into consideration) and I want to stand up for them, this is when it is most difficult for me to be compassionate.  I do however practice patience, understanding, finding the positives and basic goodness of life everyday.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:22:31 PM by George Jung » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »