I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  NxStage Training starts... (now with pictures)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NxStage Training starts... (now with pictures)  (Read 103185 times)
Wallyz

« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »

Congratulations, Meinuk.  Thank you for sharing.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »

Thank you for your timeline.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Meinuk

« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »

Now that my original dialysis clinic has been closed for a couple of years, I have decided to add some pictures to the first post.  It is sad that the at home center went down with the Davita Shipwreck that was DaVita Life Care Dialysis, NYC.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »

Oh my Goodness, Meinuk, I just read this whole thread!  Ive read Epoman's and it was great, but I echo every experience & thought process you had when you learned.  Wow!
Your daily experience reminded me of things that hubby went through when I was training as his partner.  Its like a carbon copy of what you did!

This was a great read and a time of laughter for me, cause I remember those situations not too long ago!

THANK YOU MEINUK and all the others who helped me to reaffirm our decision to do this NxStage at home!  Unlike you, we started training for NxStage and when I felt like I couldn't do it, my training nurse "G" turned me on to this site.  He told me to read some of the comments on here before giving up.  I did, and went into clinic next day and thanked him for this site.  I read of some just struggling with it but hanging in there till the end!  Thank God the nurse did that, cause here we are 1yr 5mths in and reaping the benefits.

Im sure you have read some of my posts, and you know I Too Love this machine.  It has revived my husbands spirits and we are just so thrilled!

Again thanks Meinuk for a very "GOOD" read!!!!! :bandance; :bandance; :yahoo; :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

lmunchkin

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Meinuk

« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »

:thx;

Yikes, I am impressed that got through it all!

When I realized that I would be starting dialysis, I would sit in my office and google.  One day I found the NxStage Corporate site, and I tried to buy one.  They said no.  Then one day, I found the t-shirts for sale here at IHD, and they were twisted enough for me to love them - and I got curious.

Then I read Epoman's diary and I was inspired.  Getting to know him (via reading) and Susie "GoofyNina" changed my life.  After he died, I was terrified that his legacy would disappear, so I started taking part more and more.

I fought to be able to do NxStage alone, and I won.  It was a slam of the door everywhere I turned.  (even the NxStage Users group wouldn't let me join)  If it weren't for IHD I would never have been able to train.  I was given so much support and information that I felt like I had to go public and post my day by day training.  I owe so much to IHD.

Lmunchkin, I follow along on almost every post.  I read your story and I am proud that you both are doing so well.

Being a part of this group of people is one of my life's highlights even if I don't post much anymore. Honestly, I don't need to post that much, we have a devoted, caring, smart, and informed new generation here on the site, and I am proud of them too.  And as for the mods and the people who have been here thorough the years, some I have met, some I have only read but I cherish every story I read. (and I worry non stop about Needle Phobic!)

Writing my training diary was and still is a pleasure.

:grouphug;

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:12:08 PM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
ToddB0130

« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »

Meinuk --- You really are an inspiration.  Where is NxStage with regards to allowing more individuals to do it alone ?  I am still pre-D and plan to start in center (simply for the support as I learn to deal with the newness of it all).  I hope to transfer to some type of home dialysis, but I live alone and fear I'm not ever going to be supported in that objective.  Thanks for any information.

No day but today
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »

:thx;

Yikes, I am impressed that got through it all!

When I realized that I would be starting dialysis, I would sit in my office and google.  One day I found the NxStage Corporate site, and I tried to buy one.  They said no.  Then one day, I found the t-shirts for sale here at IHD, and they were twisted enough for me to love them - and I got curious.

Then I read Epoman's diary and I was inspired.  Getting to know him (via reading) and Susie "GoofyNina" changed my life.  After he died, I was terrified that his legacy would disappear, so I started taking part more and more.

I fought to be able to do NxStage alone, and I won.  It was a slam of the door everywhere I turned.  (even the NxStage Users group wouldn't let me join)  If it weren't for IHD I would never have been able to train.  I was given so much support and information that I felt like I had to go public and post my day by day training.  I owe so much to IHD.

Lmunchkin, I follow along on almost every post.  I read your story and I am proud that you both are doing so well.

Being a part of this group of people is one of my life's highlights even if I don't post much anymore. Honestly, I don't need to post that much, we have a devoted, caring, smart, and informed new generation here on the site, and I am proud of them too.  And as for the mods and the people who have been here thorough the years, some I have met, some I have only read but I cherish every story I read. (and I worry non stop about Needle Phobic!)

Writing my training diary was and still is a pleasure.

And you should be, it is so helpful to those wanting to try this NxStage.  Im so proud to be a member of IHD.  It has helped me tremendously, more than probably they will ever realize.
I too am very concerned where Needlephobic is concerned!  It has to be Hellish for him, but you know, I also think he will do it.  It just puts him in a very frightening situation, and we all are thinking about his plite!
Todd, I do believe alot of people doing D. can do NxStage alone, but in most cases, there should be someone present in case of an emergency. In J's case, he needs me there to do it all.  Others know of his amputations and sight problems, but even if he could do it alone, I think people should have someone there for backup.
I admire Meinuk's guts to do this on her own, and others on this site that are alone and doing very well with it. But I continuously worry for the fact that they ARE alone. I worry for lots of people, but admire them none the less.
She could probably tell you how to go about gettiing it done alone.  You are still young and that could play in your favor, maybe!

But I can't blame anyone for wanting NxStage!  It is the best thing going, IMHO!  Just doing D at home is in itself WONDERFUL!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
bmil1652

« Reply #157 on: January 01, 2013, 05:48:20 AM »

I put Jeff on his dialysis machine five days a week.  He has a perm cath and I hate it.  NxStage training took 5 1/2 weeks and was HARD and so exhausting! 
I hate SNAP AND TAP.  I have more problems with that than anything else! 
It seems to take hours and there is always this air.  I am so AIR consumed.
Any one have ANY suggestions on how the sam heck to make that easier?????
HAPPY and HEALTHY NEW YEAR!
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #158 on: January 01, 2013, 06:07:51 AM »

I've been doing NxStage for over a year now....here are a couple of suggestions that I have regarding the snap and tap:

1.  Before putting the cartridge in the machine, tighten all caps on the cartridge lines, including the cap on the dialyzer pigtail. 
2.  Make sure to insert the priming spike into the saline bag all the way.  My nurse laughs at me, but I don't have problems!
3.  If you can, prime the machine and then let it sit for a few minutes at the "23" stage before snapping and tapping.  This way, some of the final air just gets to chug its way out.

Finally, are you getting a lot of air alarms or just seeing a lot of microbubbles?  The microbubbles will always be there.

I put Jeff on his dialysis machine five days a week.  He has a perm cath and I hate it.  NxStage training took 5 1/2 weeks and was HARD and so exhausting! 
Any one have ANY suggestions on how the sam heck to make that easier?????
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #159 on: January 01, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »

Like cattlekid I let it cook in '23' and after I am in '23' for about 30 minutes I clamp the red clamp for two or three seconds. This creates negative pressure in the lines - you'll see what looks like bubbles forming but these are voids rather than air - when you open the red clamp the voids and any bubbles in the line will whoosh through to the cartridge. Then when you bang around the cartridge that air will whoosh into the saline bag taking a lot of the bubbles with it on the blue side. It doesn't eliminate all the bubbles but it does make snap and tap go a lot quicker. Note I do use a 171 cartridge so it doesn't have a arterial pressure monitor, if you leave the red clamp closed for too long you'll get an alarm but even then it will recover in about 5 minutes.

Any one have ANY suggestions on how the sam heck to make that easier? ??? ?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »

I accomplish the same thing by pinching the arterial line on the side of the pressure pod farthest from the machine.  Let the pod go flat, then let it fill up again.  I like doing that better than banging the pod on the side of the machine, which is what I used to do, but never seemed to get all the bubbles/voids out.

Like cattlekid I let it cook in '23' and after I am in '23' for about 30 minutes I clamp the red clamp for two or three seconds. This creates negative pressure in the lines - you'll see what looks like bubbles forming but these are voids rather than air - when you open the red clamp the voids and any bubbles in the line will whoosh through to the cartridge. Then when you bang around the cartridge that air will whoosh into the saline bag taking a lot of the bubbles with it on the blue side. It doesn't eliminate all the bubbles but it does make snap and tap go a lot quicker. Note I do use a 171 cartridge so it doesn't have a arterial pressure monitor, if you leave the red clamp closed for too long you'll get an alarm but even then it will recover in about 5 minutes.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »

seems that the two biggest things for us has been ......... let it sit at the 23 for however long (i set it up and leave for about 1/2 hour at least while setting up other stuff or having breakfast or?)  and then do the red clamp thing like Bill.When  doing the actual snap and tap, i flip the 'pod' over and flick it till i see no more little bubbles.  and finish the first 'snap/tap'.  Leave it alone for awhile and come back and do another time.  I used to snap and tap continuously for 1/2 hour to 45 min  :o until reading of Bills methods.  Soooooooooooooo much more efficient and easier on those 'flick' fingers.  ;)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »

Snap and Tap has been the biggest problem for us. I, too, am very concerned with any air bubbles!  I will have to try some of these tricks because it usually takes me 45 minutes or more to finally be happy with what I see in the lines. I use a wooden spoon to do the tapping. It was suggested by my training center. Be careful though, if you miss, your thumb can be quite painful!   :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2015, 07:16:51 AM »

SNAP and TAP ... Grrrr!!!

We have found that using a large highlighter to tap the pressure pod works great. We can clear everything in a short time. And I am obnoxious about getting them all out!!!

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #164 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »

SNAP and TAP ... Grrrr!!!

We have found that using a large highlighter to tap the pressure pod works great. We can clear everything in a short time. And I am obnoxious about getting them all out!!!

I have to admit, sometimes I have to catch myself because it is soooo easy to take out my frustration during snap-n-tap. I need to go buy or make myself a "dammit doll" and give it a good whack.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »