I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Angie got a transplant !!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Angie got a transplant !!!  (Read 28913 times)
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 12:18:18 AM »

I hope things get sorted soon Angie  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »

Hang in there Angie    :grouphug;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Razman

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 02:45:29 PM »

Keep on going Angie , you'll soon be home.   :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2007, 06:10:51 PM »

That's some good news, but I hate idiot nurses. No idea what thrush is off hand, but hope that clears up soon.
Chris

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2007, 08:09:20 PM »

That's some good news, but I hate idiot nurses. No idea what thrush is off hand, but hope that clears up soon.
Chris

"Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the candida fungus, also known as yeast. Candida infection is not limited to the mouth; it can occur in other parts of the body as well, causing diaper rash in infants or vaginal yeast infections in women.

Thrush can affect anyone, though it occurs most often in babies and toddlers, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems."

It usually shows as a white substance on your tongue. It's prevented after transplant (or minimized) by Antifungal medications. A swish and swallow medicine.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2007, 08:23:36 PM »

Chris

"Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the candida fungus, also known as yeast. Candida infection is not limited to the mouth; it can occur in other parts of the body as well, causing diaper rash in infants or vaginal yeast infections in women.

Thrush can affect anyone, though it occurs most often in babies and toddlers, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems."

It usually shows as a white substance on your tongue. It's prevented after transplant (or minimized) by Antifungal medications. A swish and swallow medicine.

That rings a bell. Forgot what medicine they gave me after transplant since I am no longer on it
 :thx;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Razman

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:28 AM »

Angie posted this message today in her forum.   Please keep her in your prayers.   

Oct 9 / 07    9:30 AM
Today is rainy and gloomy .. just like my heart.

Dr. Jevnikar came in and I had thought things were great (except for being up every 2 hrs last night to pee) til he opened his mouth ...

I feel like crying...

He discussed my options to the medical team right in front of me and wants to do not just the ultrasound but yet another biopsy as my creatinine is going up and he is not happy with my output compared to my input I guess. I am gaining weight. Am 0.2kg up. But I think that is the terrible hunger pains from the Prednisone as I am snacking a lot. Been eating carrots to try to be good but it is hard when you are always hungry and shaking in hunger.

Dr. Jevnikar talked as if they would have to decide if it was even worth it to keep me on the potent meds I am on. It just felt so much like they are giving up on me!! I didn't even consider that this transplant wouldn't work in all honesty!! I had hope! I was wondering if it was worth it, sure, with all the trouble I have been going through, but once I got that hope I imagined visiting my fiance's family for Christmas and working full time and getting married!! Now it all seems so far away and unrealistic!!

But before I give up, I must see the results. They post poned the ultrasound only because they want to do the biopsy today at the same time as well.

That is all I have to say. If anyone is going to call me ... today is the day. I am crying.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »

Oh, that's horrible! I hope things start going better quickly! Angie is in my thoughts and prayers.   :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Roxy

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »

Hope things start looking up.  :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »

I hope things start to go well. Hopefully just a med change could help.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2007, 10:56:55 AM »

Oh Angie. OH honey.  About all I can do is offer my prayers and comfort to you.   :grouphug;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2007, 12:23:08 PM »

I hope everything looks up, your definately in my thoughts and prayers.  :grouphug;

Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2007, 03:53:49 AM »

I have bad news about angies transplant. I've been in touch with her by email and at first, all seemed to be optimistic but I just got this email today as follows

Today is rainy and gloomy .. just like my heart.

Dr. Jevnikar came in and I had thought things were great (except for being up every 2 hrs last night to pee) til he opened his mouth ...

I feel like crying...

He discussed my options to the medical team right in front of me and wants to do not just the ultrasound but yet another biopsy as my creatinine is going up and he is not happy with my output compared to my input I guess. I am gaining weight. Am 0.2kg up. But I think that is the terrible hunger pains from the Prednisone as I am snacking a lot. Been eating carrots to try to be good but it is hard when you are always hungry and shaking in hunger.

Dr. Jevnikar talked as if they would have to decide if it was even worth it to keep me on the potent meds I am on. It just felt so much like they are giving up on me!! I didn't even consider that this transplant wouldn't work in all honesty!! I had hope! I was wondering if it was worth it, sure, with all the trouble I have been going through, but once I got that hope I imagined visiting my fiance's family for Christmas and working full time and getting married!! Now it all seems so far away and unrealistic!!

But before I give up, I must see the results. They post poned the ultrasound only because they want to do the biopsy today at the same time as well.

That is all I have to say. If anyone is going to call me ... today is the day. I am crying.

Okay that is the update. The surgeon came in just now and said my Potassium is too low again .. why my heart is having a hard time carrying my weight again. He also said that these tests will just make sure .. basically I think he realizes how upsetting today's news can be to me. I want to go on with my life, get a full time job, save for my wedding, get married, start a family! Not have to go back on dialysis!

Anyway, gotta get going! Thanks for your emails! They cheer me up!

Sincerely,

Angie Essery

Ken
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2007, 07:01:52 AM »

Sorry to heat that Angie.... I hope things turn around for the better.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Amanda
xxoo

:cuddle;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2007, 10:22:39 AM »

Hang in there Angie, Hope your better soon  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »

Angie
You keep fighting girl. Hopefully you will turn the corner soon.  :grouphug;

willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »

:(  :grouphug;

It's not easy being green.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »

Keep fighting girl!   :boxing;   :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »

.....I pray for her total recovery!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:29:16 AM by mrhecht » Logged

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
kelliOR

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »

Angie, Sounds like you're off with a rough start....Hang in there.  Wishing you all the best....love and hugs, kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Razman

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2007, 06:06:11 PM »

Here is another update on Angie .  She sure is have a rough time and needs all of our prayers.   Some day she will be able to look back on all of this but right now it is a rough time.

From her fiancee:
She has informed me that her doctors have her taking 160mg Lasix daily!  80mg in the morning and another 80mg at night. From what I know of Lasix, it suppose to force you to pee and for Angie, it most certainly is doing just that.

From Angie :
I need all the well wishes I can get! It has been hard to even get out of my room because of this. This is the first time out and on the computer but my feet are losing circulation because off all the fluid in my feet that I have them high up as I type with this keyboard in my lap.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »

Thinking of you  Angie, and praying that things go well.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »

Here The lastest on Angie from her web site Hope she doesn't mind i have copied it ...

Re: Angie got the call Sat Sept 29th!
« Reply #50 on Today at 12:02pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday at 9:09pm, sandmansa wrote:Well, since there were somethings I forgot to mention in last nights update post, I figure now would be as good a time as any.

Angie told me that her doctors were entertaining the idea of performing another biopsy for today but have decided against it after learning that her hemoglobin had dropped very low. I believe she mentioned mid 70's (120 is normal for females) but I don't know if that's Canadian or US figures. I assume Canadian. Her doctors fear that if they do perform a kidney biopsy on her now, that she would most likely bleed to death. So they are holding off on that for now.

Today, she took it upon her self to only take half the Lasix she was suppose to because of her dangerously low potassium levels were causing mounting stress on her heart. The excessive peeing from the Lasix and the added dialysis were leaching more potassium from her body that she could take in. So today, her heart feels better but she is retaining more fluid again. Now her doctors are giving her high potassium foods like bananas and chocolate, along with potassium supplements to help bring her potassium levels back up.

She put her foot down today and demanded that the medical team caring for her, to listen to her and I do believe she surprised them with just how much she really knows. So finally, RESPECT AT LAST!! Maybe now, they will work with her and not just for her. I'm proud of you Angie! Now lets kick that kidney in the butt and make it start earning it's keep.

They aren't giving me bananas and chocolate. I am selecting them from the menu and am asking people to bring bananas into me! lol They did have me on supplements but good news today .. Potassium is 4.2 (good range is 3.5 - 5) so I am off those now and my heart is finally safe after all this time!!!

But my hemoglobin DID drop more (yes these are Canadian numbers since I am in Canada) and mine is 69 (that is 6.9 for you Americans .. round about .. not sure if that is exact) so I am very very tired and can barely function but they don't want to give me a blood transfusion as they don't want to raise my antibodies! I do want to ask about getting IV Iron tho but I guess Iron can conflict with the Prograf pills??

More good news! The creatinine actually came down a little today! 569 (Canadian) .. which I have NO idea how what that would be in American. Someone will have to convert for me. I know there is a great converter link on IHD (I seem to recall) so maybe someone there can convert.

Still have fluid all over but seems to not be getting excessive so much so it is tolerable.

Today at 1:22am, Shay wrote:Geez...She's going through SO much!  If she is peeing out that much, shouldn't they stop the dialysis on her? It doesn't seem like they are thinking all of this through...

You are mistaken .. I have not had any more dialysis since the last time .. but my potaasium had been dangerously low SINCE the last time. That is what he meant.

Today at 11:00am, karol wrote:Hi Angie,
I saw Lori Hartwell last night and she was telling me that because she hadn't used her bladder for so many years, when she had her transplant the kidney actually was draining into her leg! They solved the problem by draining the kidney with an external catheter for a while, and over time her bladder expanded and her ureter worked better too. Not sure if this is a similar situation to yours, but you may want to contact her. Do they have you on Ditropan for bladder spasms? Hope things are better today. {{HUG}}

Oh wow! Tell Lori I am doing a little better now and you can give her my email address if you want at angieskidney@gmail.com (only one I can get mail at while here).

The Prednisone is making my face so fat and I don't look like me anymore .. just like last time! lol .. but what is worse is the mood swings! Holy crap I cry a lot and then am happy that the kidney is working then I get scared at any little pain over the kidney area! Man I am a wreck! lol

Well, I better summarize this for the sake of those copying this to other boards cuz this time I have said a lot of useless junk 

So here it is:

Potassium: Good finally! (4.2 Canadian)
Creatinine: Came down (569 Canadian)
Hemoglobin: dropped more (69 Canadian = about 6.9 US)
Weight: 74.2kg I think? I forget but it is coming down too!! 

I am feeling optimistic today  Thanks to everyone's prayers and well wishes!! 
 Link to Post - Back to Top   Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angie

Reflux @ age 9
1st Dialysis @ age 16

('90) 1 transplant
('01) 4 yrs CAPD CCPD
('05) Traditional HD
Donor Registry

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »

Still thinking of you Angie  :grouphug; :grouphug; I hope everything starts doing what it is supposed to be doing and soon so you can get home!!  :cuddle;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2007, 09:22:57 PM »

Best wishes to you. Boy you are going thru a lot. Hope docs get their act together a find out what is going on so your kidney functions correctly.
Good Luck

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010