I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bad clearances due to messed up fistula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad clearances due to messed up fistula  (Read 3020 times)
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« on: September 28, 2007, 05:27:44 AM »

Rob saw his Neph for his monthly visit yesterday and the Neph isn't happy at all with his monthly clearances.  Rob does Nx Stage home hemo and his Neph knows he is doing wonderful with that, not missing treatments on purpose.  However, since Rob's access is horrible, it's been giving him horrible clearances these past 2 months.  Neph feels that the unclean blood is getting recirculated back into his bloodstream. 

Thankfully, Rob has another fistula that is about 6 months old, in his upper arm.  So, the plan of action for now is that Rob will do 4 days at home, 1 day in the center for a full 4 hr 15 min session.  In that time they will start using his upper arm for the venous and lower arm for the arterial.  Once the venous is working great, they will start using his upper arm access for both lines.

For the past 2 months Rob has been having nausea and some vomitting...not a lot.  Neph said if you are getting good clearances, you should never throw up or get nausea.

Hopefully next month his clearances will get better.  I'm glad his Neph caught this.  He said last month his clearances weren't good, but perhaps it was just that month.  After 2 months his Neph didn't want to play games.  He's a really great guy and has really helped my husband....we both love him.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:18:42 AM »

Glad you have a neph who's on top of things. Hope the new fistula works well for him!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:49 AM »

Sorry to hear Rob is having troubles. Hoping it gets straightened out soon  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »

Sure glad the neph caught that!! I sure hope Rob gets better clearances now.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »

Something that should be have been done is to have a baseline of what his fistula flow rate was when he first started dialysis.   They could then do a test now to see if the flow rate has dropped or not.  This test can help determine if it is just a couple bad runs or if the fistula is developing problems without the unnecessary procedure of having to have a fistulagram.

With NxStage it would be very important to have a good fistula due to the NxStage machine having a very low dialysate flow rate compared to incenter machines.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »

I hope that extra day is just what Rob needs to get rid of that nausea  :thumbup;  Will this be a permanent thing or just temporary until he can start getting good clearances again?  Sending good thoughts and prayers your way ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
skyedogrocks

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 02:17:38 PM »

Something that should be have been done is to have a baseline of what his fistula flow rate was when he first started dialysis.   They could then do a test now to see if the flow rate has dropped or not.  This test can help determine if it is just a couple bad runs or if the fistula is developing problems without the unnecessary procedure of having to have a fistulagram.

With NxStage it would be very important to have a good fistula due to the NxStage machine having a very low dialysate flow rate compared to incenter machines.

His fistula has always been messed up, he has had access issues for the past year (which is how long he has been using it).  That is why they put a new fistula in his upper arm.  Fistulagrams are useless for him, since they know it is defective.  His nx stage nurse tried using his new access 2 months ago and infiltrated it.  They think that it is nice and strong now.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
skyedogrocks

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »

I hope that extra day is just what Rob needs to get rid of that nausea  :thumbup;  Will this be a permanent thing or just temporary until he can start getting good clearances again?  Sending good thoughts and prayers your way ;)

Thankfully this is just temporary until his new fistula is up and running with no issues.   :)

silverhead

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:21:53 PM »

Do you have to wait for monthly tests?, surely they could be doing weekly checks until this is resolved, it should show pretty soon with the changes he proposes....

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »