I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:35:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  I'm tired of being diabetic!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm tired of being diabetic!!!  (Read 41325 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: September 26, 2007, 02:26:46 PM »

:rant;  After 24 years, I"M SICK AND TIRED of being diabetic!!! Lately, I've had no appetite at all. My blood sugars have been all over the place, crashing like crazy multiple times a day, then spiking up into the 200's, 300's and even 400's for no particular reason. I have been like this my entire diabetic life. I had an appointment at my endo's today, which did not go well, at all. Like usual, my doctor studied my blood sugar readings for like 20 minutes, trying to figure out a pattern to why this happens. We go through this every time and every doctor I've ever had has done the same thing, with no luck. Her response was--you need to eat more! I HAVE NO APPETITE!!! She had even just praised me for lowering my A1C (due only to the fact that my kidneys are failing and my insulin is working better) and she tells me to eat more! What about when my blood sugar is high??!! Agghhh!!! Can I not be diabetic anymore?  :P    :rant;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »

I'm with you on this. I been diabetic for 34 years now, so far the kidneys are the only thing thats let me down. My sugars too are all over the place, stress does it for me. I go for my transplant evaluation tomorrow, have decided to go for a pancrease too, like you said sick and tired of being diabetic. Have you considered going for a pancrease? Outside of a possible break from diabetes, the wait is shorter for a dual transplant, here in Pennsylvania is 3 years.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »

Yeah, my neph actually talked to me about doing that last week. I'm a little nervous about it though as pancreas transplants are supposed to be fairly risky. I posted elsewhere about the issue I'm also having with him. My labs (as in laboratories) and doctor don't seem to agree on my percentage of renal function. I may be at 25% (as my doc thinks) or at 19% like several labs say.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 03:36:33 PM »

My mom has recently been diagnosed as diabetic. I was wondering if anyone is using LANTUS - the long-acting insulin that is taken once a day. They say it works steadily and consistently to help manage blood sugar control around the clock. I am curious about how it compares to the typical short term/long term insulin commonly used in the past.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 04:12:53 PM »

My mom has recently been diagnosed as diabetic. I was wondering if anyone is using LANTUS - the long-acting insulin that is taken once a day. They say it works steadily and consistently to help manage blood sugar control around the clock. I am curious about how it compares to the typical short term/long term insulin commonly used in the past.
They had me on LANTUS, but put me on Novalin (long term) and Novalog (short term) ,  @ 4 shots daily saying its much better control than just the one shot. I take Novalin & Novalog, mixed am & pm, then Novalin on a sliding scale for lunch and supper. Be careful to monitor her blood sugars, I had problems with low sugars during the night while on the LANTUS
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:18:33 AM by Joe Paul » Logged

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 06:08:33 PM »

You are singing my song Padddbear!! I stop taking all my diabetic meds and shots until I lose the weight I want to lose then I go back on them until I gain too much weight then I go off again.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 10:05:52 PM »

I'm on Lantus and Humalog both.  I love it - it's the only thing that's ever kept my sugar under control.  I take a small dose of lantus every night, and then do a Humalog bolus every time I eat.  I check my sugar every time I eat, and calculate how much insulin I need to account for the carbs I'm going to have.  I can also check after I eat or anytime I feel thirsty to see if my sugar is over 100 and take more humalog to adjust it back down.  My A1c runs between 5.8 and 6.3 most of the time.  I'm still considered a brittle diabetic, because my sugar tends to bounce for no discernable reason, but with the humalog and the lantus, it's under better control than it's ever been.  At least now when it bounces to 400 for whatever reason - I can fix it ASAP and not have the constant problems.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:51:11 AM »

You are singing my song Padddbear!! I stop taking all my diabetic meds and shots until I lose the weight I want to lose then I go back on them until I gain too much weight then I go off again.

THAT IS VERY, VERY BAD!!! You are killing yourself! I know that comment seems pointless now, but doing that causes complications, including in a coma from DKA!!! I would hope that someone has told you this. I did that as a teenager because I wanted to be thin, and am now in kidney failure as a result. It will further damage your kidneys. I also have nerve damage, gastropasesis and retinopathy because of my actions. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take your medication everyday!!!

As far as Lantus, I used to take it. I'm now on a pump (the best thing EVER, in my opinion!). I found the Lantus to be a little less "even" than the manufacturers seem to think it is, and it didn't quite last the full 24 hours, so I would get rather high in the evenings (I was told to take it once a day, at bedtime). After a while, I started to divide the dose, and do half in the AM and half in the PM. It helped a lot. Doctors aren't quite onto that protocol yet, but I know of quite a few diabetics who do it and it made an amazing difference in their blood sugar levels (including mine).

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:05:50 PM »

I don't know personally, but my husband has been a Type I diabetic for almost 25 years and he just hates it too.  He didn't take care of himself for a long time and is paying for it now.  His feet have paid the price, he has almost lost his big toe twice due to infections, he also has neuropathy there.  His eyes have the eye disease, although not too bad (can't think of the name for the life of me) and his kidneys failed. 

The only thing that has worked for him was going to the Joslin Clinic here in Boston.  They are world renowned for their work.  He is on the sliding scale and uses Lantus and Novalog.  I want him to get the insulin pump so bad, but he is being headstrong with that.  He has his occasional highs and lows, but they aren't too bad.  Thankfully, the worst low he ever had was with me, I couldn't get his sugars up, his level was 35!!! >:(.  The paramedics showed up right in time and were able to shock him out of it with a pure sugar injection.  We now have a couple of emegency needles to use in case that ever happens again.

I hate diabetes, it sucks!  It's a total silent killer if you don't take care of it.  Here is a link to the site locations:  http://www.joslin.org/USLocations.asp

I truly believe he would be dead if he hadn't gone to this place.  They have awesome endocrinologists, nephrologists, opthamologists, dieticians, etc.  They really turned his life around.  Perhaps you can try them?

I'm sorry you have diabetes and hopefully you and your doctor can come up with a great plan of action.

One thing that I do believe many diabetics don't do enough of is go to their Podiatrist on a regular basis.  Rob learned his lesson and now goes to his every other month without fail.  His feet are in such better shape now and he is also wearing the right shoes and they are stylish.  If anyone needs great ideas on diabetic shoes let me know, I have done tons of research and have lots of great sights.  He's only 38 so he didn't want the ugly "old man" shoes!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »

Sluff, I'm sure you know this and i don't mean to lecture, but you shouldn't do that.  It's very dangerous!!!!  This is the fastest way to losing limbs, eyesight and of course kidney failure.  It's important for you to take your medicine even if it makes you gain weight.  Over time you can work with your doctor and nutritionist on losing weight.  We want you around for a LONG TIME!!!  Take care of yourself my friend!   :cuddle;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »

I truly believe he would be dead if he hadn't gone to this place.  They have awesome endocrinologists, nephrologists, opthamologists, dieticians, etc.  They really turned his life around.  Perhaps you can try them?

I go to the Joslin Center here in Dayton. And, yes, they are awesome! I love my doctor. Oh, and the word you were thinking of is Retinopathy. I had that a few years ago. I can't tell you how many laser surgeries I had to seal up my leaky eye vessels! I could drive to my retinologist's with my eyes closed! After about a year of fluid leaking, I finally started to get bleeding vessels. It was no fun trying to see around the black spots in my vision. I ended up , over the course of 8 months, having surgery on both eyes to have the blood removed and seal up the holes in my blood vessels. Thankfully, I haven't had problems since, except for problems seeing at night and a slight change in colors (related to the laser surgeries)! My retinologist jokes about my eyes--my microscopic pictures of them look like leopards!  ;D

Sluff, I'm sure you know this and i don't mean to lecture, but you shouldn't do that.  It's very dangerous!!!!  This is the fastest way to losing limbs, eyesight and of course kidney failure.  It's important for you to take your medicine even if it makes you gain weight.  Over time you can work with your doctor and nutritionist on losing weight.  We want you around for a LONG TIME!!!  Take care of yourself my friend!   :cuddle;

Going on an insulin pump actually helped me lose weight. I was no longer eating all the time to keep up with my insulin. Also, being high, makes you hungary and eat more. When my blood sugars are anywhere over 180, I feel like snacking.

Sluff, we tell you all this, because we care about you!  My kidneys are failing, my feet are a little numb, I get shooting pains in my legs sometimes, I can't feel if my bladder is full, I can't feel anything during sex, I have slowed digestion which causes constant fullness and bloating and I can't see to drive at night--all because of diabetes and my stupidity when i was younger. I just turned 30. Please, I just tell you this because I care. I cry anytime I hear stories like yours.

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 01:54:22 PM »

Yeah, my doctor mentioned that, but I'm scared to death. I have another post about that--http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5165.0

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 05:51:27 AM »

Okarol, I take 16 units of Lantus right before bedtime and then during the day a sliding scale of Novalog (fast acting insulin) at breakfast-lunch-dinner for awile I was on Lantus alone and if you truly watch what you eat and drink it works but with the Novalog if I eat something to sweet I can fix it right away....Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
angellady07

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »

Paddbear, I'm sorry you are having to cope with diabetes. Wishing you better days ahead. :cuddle;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 09:01:44 PM »

Little late in reading this one. But have you sought consult with another doctor. Some doctors just don't know what they're doing. I had one endo tell me that she would only put me on a pump after I had my kidney and pancreas transplant. WTF is the point of the pancreas transplant then I thought, so I got another doctor who looked at my readings, put me on a continuous glucose monitor, adjusted my sliding scale and put me on a pump after proper training. Seems I attract bad docs and nurses though, had one doc when I was younger  who didn't treat me for my high blood sugars  (before there ever was a sliding scale), ended up in the ER with and Intensive Care the same day after I saw him for hyperglycemia, dad got rid of his ass.  Had a nurse while in the hospital take a glucose reading at 3:30 and it was 230, called her back in an hour complaining how I felt, another reading was taken and it was 345, she then said wait till 6 pm for my insulin. I told her to call the doc. By the time my good nurse came on shift, I was about in a coma and taken to ICU. I haven't seen her since at the hospital, and I have been in the hospital plenty of times. Bad enough I have her name imprinted in my head for stupidity.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 07:48:58 AM »

Found a new doctor and had labs done today. This new diabetic doctor accepts my insurance. Will know more next week.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »

Allrighty Sluff, and i hope you share them results with the rest of us, good or bad, you know we worry about'cha  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Katonsdad

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 08:20:01 PM »

I know this is an older thread , But I can take this thread and weave a coat .
I was a diabetic at 13 yrs old .  Just my luck .... Well the old body after a few years really quit on me.
Many eye problems . I had cataracts at 30 years old from to many laser surgeries ...but my eyes are still working .
I had a heart attack at 34 and a quad bi pass at 36 . i was going on dialysis at the same time . I am still going .
I was told by mu Neph to get a dual transplant and to WAIT FOR IT . Do not just get the Kidney wait for the dual .
I was on Dialysis for two years waiting and found out they lost the paperwork (Insurance company )  They started again
and I was on the list for 3 months and got the dual .  It was hard but you are already taking the immuno drugs so why
not take it for 2 organs .  I am still doing great and blood sugars stay around 80 .

Go for the dual and look into the insulin pump , my brother uses it and swears by it,

Katonsdad

Diabetes 1976
Eye issues 1987
Kidney Failure 1997
CAPD 1997 , Stopped 1997 due to infections evey 28 days
Started In Center Hemo 1997
Received Kidney/Pancreas transplant 1999 at UCLA
Wife and I had son in 2001 , by donor for my part (Stopping the illness train)
Kidney failed 2011 , Back on Hemo . Looking to retransplant as the Kidney is still working

Soft kitty, warm kitty,
 little ball of fur,
happy kitty,sleepy kitty,
 purr purr purr ::
Sheldon and Penny on The Big Bng Theory
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »

Katonsdad--Our story is a lot alike. I was diagnosed type 1 at 6. I've had tons of laser surgeries (plus a vitrectomy) in both eyes. Now, at 30, I need cataract surgery. I haven't gotten to dialysis quite yet, but that's right around the corner. And you better believe I'm trying for a pancreas/kidney transplant!

Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »

I think alot of our stories are the same. I was 8 and well i too am wait for a dual transplant. That there is my gold medal.
KBB

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

Sorry To Say This But You All Need to Get A Grip
Seriously. Im nearly 16 and have been diabetic nearly 13 years.
Diabetes, yea its stressful at times but its a condition you have to live with.
You have to either take tablets, inject, be on an insulin pump and check your bloods.
It aint the end of the world
I mean i think you can either sit here typing this feeling sorry for yourself or get on with your life.
Think yourself lucky you can walk, talk eat and drink. Aint like your in a wheelchair or dying or owt.

And sorry but i would NEVER get a pancreas transplant cos theres people who actualyl NEED it.
Diabetes can be annoying when you go high or low but you just need to get on with it and stop feeling sorry for yourself
Get a grip.

Kiri x
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »

You have to either take tablets, inject, be on an insulin pump and check your bloods.
I mean i think you can either sit here typing this feeling sorry for yourself or get on with your life.
Think yourself lucky you can walk, talk eat and drink. Aint like your in a wheelchair or dying or owt.

And sorry but i would NEVER get a pancreas transplant cos theres people who actualyl NEED it.
Diabetes can be annoying when you go high or low but you just need to get on with it and stop feeling sorry for yourself
Get a grip.

Kiri x

Kiri,
Everyone's experience is different. You're young, you still have not seen it all, even though you've been through a lot. Be sensitive to other patients.
Please make your FIRST post an Introducing myself post in the "Introduce Yourself" section. This is very important as we will get to know you as a person and not just as another patient. This is a requirement, you must post an introduction thread introducing yourself.

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »

Kiri x

Not sure what you mean by "NEED it", but you do know how a pancreas transplant goes right? And how the waiting list works?
Not all diabetics qualify for a pancreas transplant and the ones who do, do need it due to what diabetes has done to their body and other complications such as hypoglycemia unawareness. I respect your opinion that you do not want one, but don't judge others who do want one without knowing their history of their illness and how it has affected them and how the transplant process works.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:04:05 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »

Get a grip.

Kiri x

Excuse me.  This is a dialysis support board.  We are here to provide support for one another and give each other space to breathe and live a life full of things besides dialysis.  Mainly we are here to remind each other that life goes on and things can fill it besides dialysis and being ill. Diabetes is often associated with dialysis. It is another disease some of our members have to cope with on top of having kidney failure.  It all sucks rocks in the end!

I hope you get what you need here.  Welcome the the IHateDialysis.com board.  :welcomesign;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »