I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:02:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medical Breakthroughs
| | |-+  Has anyone heard of lifesite for Hemo and Pd
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone heard of lifesite for Hemo and Pd  (Read 18261 times)
hephziba

« on: May 06, 2006, 06:47:41 AM »

The Hospital that organizes my dialysis, has a renal research institute and they are trying them out, sounds excellent, americans may allready have them so it may be old news to you guys. I found it on a google search engine, Id be interested to hear if anyones using it yet, it means for capd folk no stupid tube hanging out of your stomach, and for hemo guys I think it just guarantees better access for longer...

??? ;D

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 08:21:15 AM »

The Hospital that organizes my dialysis, has a renal research institute and they are trying them out, sounds excellent, Americans may allready have them so it may be old news to you guys. I found it on a google search engine, Id be interested to hear if anyones using it yet, it means for capd folk no stupid tube hanging out of your stomach, and for hemo guys I think it just guarantees better access for longer...

??? ;D

Thanks for the heads up on this device; I had not heard of this.  The links I found indicate it is a hemo access only, (some people do better on PD) for temporary use while a fistula matures, or as a much improved version of the currently used grafts/caths.  Since it uses "buttonholes", it should last much longer than the current grafts/caths.

There is no better access than a natural A/V fistula w/ buttonholes, but this gadget may be a wonderful solution for patients unable to have a natural A/V fistula.

The only two negative things I saw were

1) recommending alternative use of the subclavian vein, which may cause scarring and interfere w/ getting good flow later on from that arm

2) low flow rates, though they are not that much lower than some are already getting w/ their current graft/cath

http://www.vasca.com/healthcare_professionals/nephrologist/neph_10.asp

http://www.vasca.com/pdf_folder/LifeSite_Hemodialysis_Access_System_Instructions_for_Implantation_and_Use.PDF

Anyone here already have one?  Thoughts from anyone else?

Lorelle

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
hephziba

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:32 AM »

Here is the link for peritoneal lifesite http://www.lifesite.com/products/prod_2.asp it seems they are both the same thing, or very similar , if anyones got one please let me know, Im really interested, there was a detailed analisis by the research people at my hospital ill try to link to that, it seems to imply that pd people can swim and bath and everything as the hole seal between dialysis, or is much easyer to dress.

Blessings

8)

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 09:25:38 AM »

Here is the link for peritoneal lifesite http://www.lifesite.com/products/prod_2.asp it seems they are both the same thing, or very similar , if anyones got one please let me know, I'm really interested, there was a detailed analysis by the research people at my hospital ill try to link to that, it seems to imply that pd people can swim and bath and everything as the hole seal between dialysis, or is much easier to dress.

Blessings

8)

WOW!!  If that's true, there will be many happy PD people clamoring to get one!

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
hyperlite

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 07:17:49 PM »

Wow that "lifesite" would be pretty sweet to get! It would be the best of both worlds; the freedom of PD, and the simplicity and lack of tube with HD...but it says on the site: "not available in USA and Canada". Well hurry up and make it available in Canada, I'd take one of those and do PD over haemo, any day! (plus its only 1 needle...not 2  ;D)
hephziba

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:07:28 PM »

im surprised, usually all the cool stuff seems to be in the US first like the nxstage thingy we dont have that in the uk an if we do its not widespread, also presternal peritoneal catheters, I asked my consultant and He said they dont do them, He hadnt even heard of it He said He had to look it up on google. ???

ginger cookie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »

I've used these in pt's, but in January the company stopped making the HD access. click on :
http://www.vasca.com/
and read the "customer letter" in pdf.

....no man was ever shot while doing dishes.......
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:01:47 PM »

I've used these in pt's, but in January the company stopped making the HD access. click on :
http://www.vasca.com/
and read the "customer letter" in pdf.

Looks like someone built a better mousetrap and not enough medical professionals bought it.  It has crossed my mind that that could have happened to the NxStage System One machine, and I suppose it still could if they don't put the needs of the patients first.

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »

"This is a business decision based on Financial Realities."  There ya go!  The mighty dollar.  Medicare probably wouldn't pay for it.

hephziba

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:06:39 AM »

well thats a pile of stinking turd if ever I smelt one. >:( >:( :'(

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »

Yeah that's too bad. That device looked like a viable alternative for people who have no usable veins left. I remember watching this company years ago when the device first came out.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
jdat

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 09:46:55 AM »

im surprised, usually all the cool stuff seems to be in the US first like the nxstage thingy we dont have that in the uk an if we do its not widespread, also presternal peritoneal catheters, I asked my consultant and He said they dont do them, He hadnt even heard of it He said He had to look it up on google. ???

Most if not all ESRD advances are made in the US but many of these advances take a while if ever to get used in the US.

I found this very interesting article on the subject as to why things are usually better outside the Us (Why is State-of-the-Art ESRD Technology Better Outside of the U.S.?):
http://www.aami.org/publications/HH/ESRD.Leypoldt.pdf

The main issues pointed out in the article preventing advances in the US are:
Regulatory Constraints, Educational Constraints and Economic Constraints ( for profit companies are the main issue preventing progress State side) on on Advanced Technology

Me personally I much prefer getting care in France for dialysis than in the US despite this medical situation has completely turned my life crashing to the ground. But that is a whole different subject matter.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:19:56 AM »

I found this very interesting article on the subject as to why things are usually better outside the Us (Why is State-of-the-Art ESRD Technology Better Outside of the U.S.?):

I posted this same link about a week or 2 ago in a different post, but your right it does explain quite a bit.  The AAMI website is a great place to go to find out about not only dialysis technology but any medical device out there.  Follow the link from jadt for some dialysis news or goto http://www.aami.org/ for the full medical website.

It's not easy being green.
jdat

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 10:45:46 AM »

I posted this same link about a week or 2 ago in a different post, but your right it does explain quite a bit.  The AAMI website is a great place to go to find out about not only dialysis technology but any medical device out there.  Follow the link from jadt for some dialysis news or goto http://www.aami.org/ for the full medical website.

Something just occured to me that I had forgotten to mention before just to compare with the US.

Here in France the main supplier of dialysis supplies to centers ( hospitals ), as well as home dialysis ( hd and pd ) is a non profit organisation. They also operate their own centers which are for auto dialysis ( do they use that term in the US? ) where the patient does the setup himself and plugs himself in, but there is still assistance if needed.

They are also the nicest people. I was often late puting my supply orders in and they always took care of me.

They were so great taking care of me I sent them a christmas card !  :)

I wonder if Epoman ever sent a christmas card to Davita????  >:D
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »

Something just occured to me that I had forgotten to mention before just to compare with the US.

Here in France the main supplier of dialysis supplies to centers ( hospitals ), as well as home dialysis ( hd and pd ) is a non profit organisation. They also operate their own centers which are for auto dialysis ( do they use that term in the US? ) where the patient does the setup himself and plugs himself in, but there is still assistance if needed.

They are also the nicest people. I was often late puting my supply orders in and they always took care of me.

They were so great taking care of me I sent them a christmas card !  :)

I wonder if Epoman ever sent a christmas card to Davita????  >:D

I would not give Davita the sweat off my.......  Nevermind  :-[

>:D ;D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

hyperlite

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 09:12:59 PM »

I'm really surprised that this idea hasn't been developed further, for PD applications. By making some sort of "access-port" just below the skin, a PD tube could be accessed with a needle. This would get rid of the external tube, which is a main deterant for people thinking about doing PD. Really it would be just like a fistula, except for PD. I guess the main problem would be making a port that could withstand being "poked" continuously...And I guess infection could be a problem, but you wouldn't think that it would be much more of a problem compared to normal PD, or even hemo (for people with grafts).

-Maybe we should put our heads together and invent something, start selling it, and make millions!  ;D
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 02:03:08 PM »

I'm really surprised that this idea hasn't been developed further, for PD applications. By making some sort of "access-port" just below the skin, a PD tube could be accessed with a needle. This would get rid of the external tube, which is a main deterant for people thinking about doing PD. Really it would be just like a fistula, except for PD. I guess the main problem would be making a port that could withstand being "poked" continuously...And I guess infection could be a problem, but you wouldn't think that it would be much more of a problem compared to normal PD, or even hemo (for people with grafts).

-Maybe we should put our heads together and invent something, start selling it, and make millions!  ;D

Sticking the same hole continuously is not an issue, due to the fact that the "Button Hole" technique is well established as being the best choice for a fistula. With the button hole method you stick the needle in the EXACT same spot.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

hyperlite

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 06:41:40 PM »

no...because you would have to have a tube going in right? so there would have to be something on the end of that tube that you would be "sticking into"...thats what I'm talking about. Not the skin part...the internal tubing...if you kept sticking something like plastic, it would eventually deteriorate...so you would need some sort of metal mechanism or something that would open when the needle comes in, but then close after... see what i mean?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:44:04 PM by hyperlite » Logged
jdat

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

what you're describing hyperlite sounds like the Matrix  :D

You like that movie by any chance  ??? >:D >:D >:D
hyperlite

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 08:17:48 PM »

haha the matrix...yeah i guess that movie(s) was ok. I liked the idea behind it, but Im not a big Keanu fan.

But I've got a pretty good plan for how this thing could work, when I get home I'll scan my "design" it put it up. See what you guys think.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »

haha the matrix...yeah i guess that movie(s) was ok. I liked the idea behind it, but Im not a big Keanu fan.

But I've got a pretty good plan for how this thing could work, when I get home I'll scan my "design" it put it up. See what you guys think.

Now this is going to get interesting.  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

hephziba

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »

Hyperlite the whole point of this post was that there is allready a pd internal system called lifesite, I was simply asking if anyone had it or had heard of it. they are doing testing on it at my renal hospital. and Im slightly jelous. cos you dont have to have a capd tube sticking out of your belly, its just as you said though, they have a metal titanium part under the skin and the needle goes into that, takes a lot of sterilising though....

below link to peritoneal lifesite. I want it, baths, swimming, no tuby thing to tape out the way.......ahhhhh :-X

http://www.lifesite.com/products/prod_2.asp

hyperlite

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 01:54:50 PM »

Yeah I understand that they already have a system...but it didn't really work. And they stopped making it...that's why we need to "invent" a new system...  ;D
hephziba

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 01:25:37 AM »

really, that sucks >:(,thanks for letting me know.....

grumpygramp

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 05:27:31 PM »

In the clinic i go to the Dr. used lifesites in all the patients and they all got infections and had to have them removed.I nearly died from blood   sepsis----they asked the family about life support--so i would not personnally reccomend them to anyone---but if you do decide do all the research. The device is implanted under thr skin(2 of them) and a tube goes to the heart--mine did --so if you get an infection you know where it goes .But if you do go for it--good luck.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »