I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:23:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Access problems.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Access problems.  (Read 7914 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: September 22, 2007, 04:17:06 PM »

The last few days I've been having a lot of excessive bleeding from my graft during cannulation, needle pulling, and now today, at the end of my treatment itself (blood was seeping out around the venous needle). The graft also feels a bit more "mushy" then it used to feel. My nurse said she thinks it might be more stenosis, but I also have the concern that it is weakening. I rotate my sticks the way I was trained to do, but I'm also using it twice as often as most grafts (six days/week vs. three). The earliest I can have someone look at it is Monday, and I have to dialyze tomorrow because I just took my day off. If my graft is weakening, I'm concerned that something bad could possibly happen the next time I stick it. I don't know what to do.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »

Wish I could help you Adam, hope it will get you through until It gets looked at. My thoughts are with you. Hopefully someone can help you out.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »

Dang Adam, I wish I could help you but I have no idea.....  Thoughts and prayers are with you!  Please let us know what you find out! :cuddle;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Roxy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »

Sorry you're having a hard time with the graft Adam. Did the nurse give you any suggestions? Can you go to the hospital and have someone on call look at it? I hope it gets figured out for you and everything is okay.  :grouphug;
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »

I did consider going to the ER, but more likely than not, the ER doc wouldn't really know what he's looking at.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »

Unless the graft stops working do NOT got to the ER. That would be useless, since they would just call a vascular surgeon consult in anyway and that would take hours. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 05:31:30 AM »

Can you skip dialysis until tommorrow? Is this even an Option? until you can speak to a Doctor? Just an idea.
angellady07

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »

I hope your graft situation improves. Take care.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »

Adam, what's going on?  How are you?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »

Adam, what's going on?  How are you?
:rant; Well, I'm more frustrated than ever now. I wasn't able to be seen by the "access experts" at the kidney centre, and the earliest I can be seen is Thursday morning. Since I take Wednesdays off, I only have one more treatment to get through until then, but if it's anything like today's treatment, it won't be good. I reluctantly started to do my treatment, and when I put my arterial needle in, I basically had a geyser of blood squirt me right in the face (I looked like I had just come from a murder scene). I was so startled by that I jerked the needle out and of coarse more blood sprayed. I got the bleeding stopped, got myself under control, realized I have no choice but to do my treatment, and stuck again. That time it went in ok, but there was still quite a bit of blood coming up around the needle. It was the same with the venous needle. Once I got on and settled down, I called my nurse and told her what happened. She suggested I go to the ER, but I know that if I go to the ER, there most likely won't be anyone there who can do anything other then tell me "yup, that's a dialysis access, alright". I'm really afraid to do my treatment tomorrow, and I'm frustrated that I'm not being taken seriously. I mean come on, I GOT SPRAYED IN THE FREAKING FACE WITH MY OWN BLOOD! The nurse that actually did my NxStage training was one of the best, but she moved on to a different centre. The two nurses right now that are in charge of the home program are both some of the nicest people you'd ever meet, but I just don't think they have the skills that the old nurse had. I literally don't think they realize how seriously this is developing. I've had the thought of walking into the ER, and telling them that I'm not leaving until they put a catheter in me so I can SAFELY dialyze. They are going to do another fistulagram on Thursday, and I'm not going to ask for any sedative because I want to be fully conscious and alert so I can see and know EXACTLY what they find.  If I survive, I'll post how things turn out.  :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

Adam

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »

Oh, Adam, I am so sorry.  :o  I hope you get through until your appointment okay.

I can't imagine going through any access procedure without any sedative but I greatly admire your resolve and courage.  Hang in there.  I know what it's like to be surrounded by very nice but incompetent medical professionals who are far more ignorant than they should be.  ;D  Sometimes we just have to insist on good care and answers. (Where's that icon of kat's big stick?)  Oh well, this will have to do.  :boxing; :boxing;

I have read that it is often possible to put in a natural A/V fistula in the vein above the graft, if the graft fails.  Have you read anything about that?  If I were you I'd ask the vascular surgeon about it and do some on-line research before, so you kind of know what to ask and if it is indeed likely to work.  Of course, I am assuming that your graft is in your lower arm.  Might be nice to get a break and use a cath while a new fistula heals.  :2thumbsup;

Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:49:06 PM by Black » Logged

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »

Oh, Adam, I am so sorry.  :o  I hope you get through until your appointment okay.

I can't imagine going through any access procedure without any sedative but I greatly admire your resolve and courage.  Hang in there.  I know what it's like to be surrounded by very nice but incompetent medical professionals who are far more ignorant than they should be.  ;D  Sometimes we just have to insist on good care and answers. (Where's that icon of kat's big stick?)  Oh well, this will have to do.  :boxing; :boxing;

I have read that it is often possible to put in a natural A/V fistula in the vein above the graft, if the graft fails.  Have you read anything about that?  If I were you I'd ask the vascular surgeon about it and do some on-line research before, so you kind of know what to ask and if it is indeed likely to work.  Of course, I am assuming that your graft is in your lower arm.  Might be nice to get a break and use a cath while a new fistula heals.  :2thumbsup;

Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing.

My graft is actually upper arm, so I don't think the "fistula-graft" (or would that be called a "graft-ula"  :)) would be an option. They have never done vein mapping on my right arm, so if I end up needing a new access, maybe the veins in my other arm will be big enough for a fistula. Then there's always the option of a leg access (even though I would hate that). As for your comment about an icon for Kitkatz's "big stick", we need something like that. No one messes with "The Kit"  :boxing;

Adam

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 04:49:42 AM »

That really sucks Adam, If they are not taking you serious then you need to do something drastic, like walk into the doctors office with a bomb strapped to yourself. Then they will take you serious. but then again what if they don't? mmm forget that Idea it just seems no matter how a person feels the medical profession these days has just gotten desensitized.  Good luck Adam, let us know how it works out.  ( leave the fertilizer home tho OK?)
AlasdairUK

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 05:00:49 AM »

Hi Adam,

I have a fistula rather than a graft, do you thin your blood to make sure that your graft does not clot? If so, is your blood too thin?

I know it is a very simplistic solution and we are not normally that lucky. I hope you come to the bottom of it.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 05:30:41 AM »

Have you talked to your Neph?  He/She should be able to set you up with a vascular doctor to check out your access.  If you can't dialyze today, don't do it.  I'm sure you can do 5 days this week if you have to.

Rob has had a year of issues with his fistula, so he had a new one put in his upper arm, however he hasn't used it yet.  He keeps getting clots in his lower arm one, he even had his dialysis nurse come out last night to put his venous needle in.  His nurse is off for a week, but next week she is going to start sticking one needle in his upper arm access.

Good Luck.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »

Adam, I'm so sorry about your fistula. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I vote for going in to the ER and giving 'em hell!   :grouphug;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

I just finished my treatment today, and even though I had another spray of blood, I survived it. I haven't pulled my needles yet, but I didn't have any trouble yesterday because I just held the gauze and my partner actually pulled the needles, enabling me to get pressure directly over the site immediately instead of twisting and turning my fingers around while pulling the needle. Tomorrow is my day off, and my appointment to get this fixed is early Thursday morning, so the next time I dialyze, hopefully this problem will be fixed. I'll let you all know what happens.

Adam

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 02:14:51 PM »

:popcorn;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 02:47:29 PM »

I just finished my treatment today, and even though I had another spray of blood, I survived it. I haven't pulled my needles yet, but I didn't have any trouble yesterday because I just held the gauze and my partner actually pulled the needles, enabling me to get pressure directly over the site immediately instead of twisting and turning my fingers around while pulling the needle. Tomorrow is my day off, and my appointment to get this fixed is early Thursday morning, so the next time I dialyze, hopefully this problem will be fixed. I'll let you all know what happens.

Adam

Hope it is an easy fix Adam.
Roxy

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 10:36:15 PM »

How's your graft? Was the doctor able to fix it? Hope everything's going well.  :cuddle;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 01:45:30 AM »

Hey Adam -
How are you doing?
Hope things have improved.
 :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »

Well, I thought everything was fine with my access, but now it's worse than ever. I went to get on the machine this morning, and I had to pull my venous needle and re stick because I got it in at a bad angle. When I pulled the needle, it just kept bleeding and bleeding and wouldn't stop. After holding it for over 40 minutes and it still not stopping, I had one of the friends I was with call 911 and I went to the ER. The ER doctors finally got the bleeding stopped, but now my graft is completely dead. I don't think it was from excess pressure, because I showed the EMTs and the ER doctors how much pressure to put on the graft, but I haven't felt a thrill since this started. I'm supposed to hear from the kidney institute tomorrow morning, and hopefully I'll be able to be seen right away. I didn't dialyze today, so I need to have some kind of access, even if it's a catheter, so I can dialyze tomorrow (my body is accustomed to 6 day/wk dialysis). What made things worse, I was visiting with friends in another town so I was completely unfamiliar with the hospital, and I was 100 miles away from my dialysis nurses and my vascular surgeon. Plus, it ruined the good time I was having with my friends. I'm kind of discouraged right now.

Adam

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 06:54:43 PM »

:grouphug; Adam.

Hope everything gets straightened out soon.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 07:36:25 AM »

Gees Adam sorry to hear your having such a a crappy time with your fistula. I hope it gets sorted out quickly. Keep us posted.  :cuddle;

Amanda
xxoo

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »

Geeze, i tell ya Adam, if its not one thing its another huh buddy?  You just hang in there and hopefully they are getting things working right again.  Sorry that had to mess up your visit with your friends though.  Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing ok,    :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »