I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  Tribute to IHD.com
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tribute to IHD.com  (Read 8161 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: September 20, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »

I am writing a tribute to IHD.com for a speech in Vegas.
Does anyone have anything good to say about the site? (Hehehhe.) 
Any stories how IHD.com has changed your life? 

(I have a feeling I am going to be overwhelmed)

Thanks.

Kitkatz, moderator

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:31:29 AM »

IHD has empowered me to be a caregiver who is informed, not a blind sheep, thinking because the health care people have degrees they are somehow better then me. They DO have an education I respect, but they are also fallible human beings. That is something I never really considered before IHD. Twice there have been mistakes- twice I questioned until I got answers, I don't think I could/would have stood up to them without IHD and the knowledge base here behind me.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:39:58 AM »

IHD has given me confidence in myself again. For some time I was bewildered, and confused. What to take. What not to take. What to eat. What not to eat. When to worry, you get the picture. Coming here and finding out answers to questions (sometimes questions I didn't even know I had!), and getting support and, most importantly, understanding, has really made me more confident and assertive. Now I think about
what the medical staff say to me. Is it valid? Is it applicable?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 06:59:34 PM »

IHD gave me knowledge... and I don't know how much longer I could of survived emotionally on hemodialysis, and IHD informed of other options, and made the rest of my time on dialysis until transplant much more enjoyable and comfortable.. (I switched to PD b/c of IHD.)

IHD has made me not feel alone in the world and able to meet people who are in the same situation as myself, and has brought happiness to my life by allowing me to make so many friends I consider close as family.

Support... this is the best support system I could imagine... you all are so wonderful.  :grouphug;

BTW, Can someone video this speech for all of us not attending? Thanks ;)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »

IHD has given me information....support.... friendship....and a feeling of belonging.  Now I know.... I am not the only one going through this hell.

I am sooo  jealous!  I wish I could be in Vegas with yall :'(

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 05:20:25 AM »

I am sooo  jealous!  I wish I could be in Vegas with yall :'(

*you will*
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »

:bow; :grouphug; :bow;

I hope y'all bring back lots of pictures!!!

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 11:18:07 PM »

IHD was a very calming influence for me.  When I was diagnosed with ESRD and was wondering how I would cope, I came upon IHD (Thank you so much, Epoman) and I was able to approach my upcoming dialysis with confidence.  I was prepared and encouraged by IHD.  They even told me questions I should ask my nephro, and things I should be aware of.  It really was a weapon and a tool for me. I am so grateful that there was such a site available.  I have said this many times, and dare anyone contradict me - I feel that IHD was developed especially for me.  Otherwise, why did it start just the month before I was diagnosed??

No picts from Vegas, and those of us not able to attend will strike, and strike :boxing;!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 03:00:49 PM »

Kitkatz, I have been thinking about this since you first posted the question.   I am not sure I can put how I feel into words.  When there was no place to go with my anger; there was IHD.  When I was scared and didn't want to worry my family; there was IHD.  When disappointment followed disappointment and I didn't know where to turn; there was IHD.  When I needed someone to hold my hand and tell me I can do this; there was IHD.  With every question, every concern there was always IHD and the fabulous family I found there.  So, now, in times of trial or jubilation, I go to IHD--my steadfast companion who truly understands this journey I am on.  Thank you Epoman, for giving the renal community an honest, safe place to gather. Thanks, also, to the administration for carrying the torch that has been passed to you.  Knowledge is power and you are empowering all of us and helping us take control of our lives.   I am a better person because of this site.  And thanks for all the laughs-- I needed that, too!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 06:25:33 PM »

No pics from Vegas, and those of us not able to attend will strike, and strike :boxing;!!

WOW  a violent streak from Bajanne  :o something tells me we better post Pics from Vegas.

Back on topic:
 I just want to say that when I first found out about my FSGS, I had no clue what I was dealing with. I found IHD from another site and was immediately accepted into the family. I realized what a long road I would have to travel yet. Most people would have sugar coated my future but the members here at IHD told me the honest truth, to my questions which gave me ammunition for the doctor visits. I feel like everyone of the members are like family to me, in fact they understand better than my regular family. The honesty is what has brought me so close to IHD.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 06:59:43 PM »

I found this site when I should have been so happy. I was a year post transplant and feeling lost. I had no idea that I would be dealing with some pretty strange emotions. I guess it was kind of like post traumatic stress. I spent alot of time reading all the posts from everyone and realized that I am "normal" in a way. I wish I would have found this site sooner. Most of the things I read about my kidney disease (FSGS), was from educational websites. The stuff I learned about transplants were from drug companies and hospitals. I wish I would have found all of you before hand. But I am so glad I found you all now.  :grouphug;

I wish I could have gotten to "talk" to Epoman. I enjoy reading about him. He continues to touch so many lives.  :angel;

And to all of you that work hard to keep his dream of a place were people could talk honestly about kidney disease and dialysis "thank you".
Finding people facing the same things you are is like finding a lost friend. They already know you and you don't have to be anyone other than yourself. You can be scared, frustrated, angry, and depressed no one judges you. They celebrate the good things with you and cry with you through the bad.
The people here actually do really understand. And when the offer encouragement and support it is genuine. Love all of you!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »

My family now knows you people mean a lot to me.  I called you all: "My People." the  other day. Does this tell you IHD.com has become important to me?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:40:20 PM »

That is great kitkatz! I feel the same... and my family knows also... I am looking forward to hearing your tribute :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 10:38:14 AM »

I was a total emotional mess before finding IHD! I didn't know anything, I was terrified of all of the stuff that NO ONE was telling me and I was crying A LOT! Then I found IHD!  :bandance; Everyone here has been so supportive, kind and helpful. I have found a whole new group of great friends. People listen to what you have to say, answer your questions, they don't judge you or demean you--they truly are friends!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 03:48:19 AM »

:bump;

Not sure if it's anywhere else but the Tribute speech, has anyone still got a copy from Vegas for the non attendees to have a read?

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 09:32:12 PM »

I have a copy. I wrote it.

lifenotonthelist.com

tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »

wasn't sure if you kept a copy Kit, so can we take a look ? pretty please lol

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 10:18:18 PM »

Okay, okay. Give me a few days to get it out of computer storage and spellcheck it.

lifenotonthelist.com

tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »

Thanks Kit
 :cuddle;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 12:24:06 AM »

Well damn it, my computer ate the damned speech.  I will try to hunt a hard copy up and retype it.  But God knows when that will be.  I am sorry.  Okarol may have a copy.  We were working on it together.

kitkatz

lifenotonthelist.com

tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 01:41:03 AM »

Nah that's cool you get that!  ;)

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 05:19:55 AM »

If for some reason Kit can not find it, I wished we would have recorded it. It was an outstanding speech and kitkatz did a wonderful job.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »

See the post under Las Vegas tribute speech on the board. I found the speech! I had it hidden in a folder on the desktop.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=6055.0

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »