I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:22:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Not again!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not again!!!!  (Read 2637 times)
keefer51

« on: September 20, 2007, 04:45:31 AM »

I have wrote about this before but it has been awhile. This past Monday i went to dialysis and when the tech stuck me with the second needle she missed the spot. Tried again and missed again. I don't know what happens my friends but the pain is unbearable. The second needle is put under my arm. The only way to explain the pain is this, It feels like a hot poker is being inserted. Then it feels like a paper cut. Then it burns and aches like hell. I held both sites and tried to catch my breath. A nurse came over and stuck me up further. I didn't have any emula cream up that far. The stick wasn't too bad but the needle was in a bad place. The pain had turned my face ashen. For the whole four hours i sat in pain. No one came over to help. The charge nurse did come over and asked if i wanted any Tylenol. Tylenol does nothing for me at all. I am not told what they hit to bring on such pain. They look at me as if i am crazy and get the feeling they think i am faking. Just once i would like for them to feel what i feel. On Wednesday i was stuck with no problem. My arm however is so sore it hurts just to drop it by my side. My fistula runs from the crease of my arm all the way under my arm pit. I will always wonder what they hit to bring on such pain. There lack of commpassion is so frustrating.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 04:54:41 AM »

I'm so sorry your arm is in pain.  I have seen Rob gasp in pain from a poorly placed needle (since he does home hemo, he's the one who messed himself up).  Any time that happens, we always take it out and use a new spot.

Have you talked to your Neph about the issues?  Have you requested that certain tech not touch you?  Hope you feel better soon!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:22:10 AM »

Sounds like a nerve might have been hit.

Might learn to stick yourself then you wont have to rely on others to do it.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:54:32 AM »

Hitting bone can hurt like hell too!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

Mine is in my upper arm also and i know the feeling, i am sure it was a nerve they hit, at least that is what they told me when they did it, it also felt like an electric shock through all that pain.   I do hope those tests come back quick so you can get your transplant and get the hell out of dodge (well, out of the center that is) ;)  Take care for now and just look forward to that gorgeous weekend you have planned for your birthday  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »

The first two years I was on Dialysis I had terrible burning issues just like you mention.  I tried the Emla cream too, but it didn't really work.  That's when I started my overuse of Vicodin.  I was in a pretty bad stupor every Monday, Wednesday and Friday but it was the only way I could cope with the burning in my arm.  I was up to 3000-3500mg every treatment which, as anyone will tell you, has adverse side effects.

I have learned over the last three and a half years who I want to stick me and who I don't.  Every once and a while they'll try to shove a newbie on me and more often they not they infiltrate me, so I explain that I'm a hard stick and I need someone else.  My graft just turned 12 so I need veteran's to stick me.

It will take time but you'll learn who should stick you and who shouldn't.  Sometimes they'll protest and try to shove someone on you just for their own convenience.  Don't put up with that, you're not there for them to go home early.

Good luck and here's to more pain free days.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
keefer51

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »

I have mentioned the button hole techniche to a new nurse. She has called to get the supplies needed. So i hope to start that soon. :bandance; :2thumbsup;

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 01:18:05 PM »

Good Luck. I hope you can be free of pain.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:32:30 PM »

just goes  to  show  you  that  nurses  all  over  the  world  are  the  same,majority  really  good,small majority,totally  useless.
when  things  don't  go  right,yell  and  scream  if  you  have  to,  make  yourself  heard  or  they'll  presume  all  is  good. :boxing;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »