I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 03:20:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Update on Joe, and bruising question.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update on Joe, and bruising question.  (Read 3661 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: May 02, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

So, a little update.  Joe's chest tube got pulled (was really infected) and they're using his fistula now.  One thing, he is getting major bruising every time he goes.  It's probably an area bigger than my hand all around where they poked him.  Is this normal, or just because this has been the first few times?

Also to update about his legs, he's starting some treatments next week.  One is some sort of electrical stimulation of his muscles to try to pump the excess fluid out of his legs, and there's also another boot treatment he's going to be doing.  I just hope the Dr. isn't trying to screw us on this.  Medicare pays for one of these, but the other one we have to pay for, and it's going to be 800.00 per month -OUCH- for a minimum of 3 months, then they'll re-assess.  The doctor was just going on and on about how good it is for circulation and how it could possibly prevent amputations and other problems, so of course we're willing to do whatever to scrape up that money, but it's a lot of money.   :-[

He's also started his phosphate blockers rather than the good ol' Tums.  Hopefully that will make whoever monitors his bloodwork happy. 

That's about it. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 09:08:24 PM »

So, a little update.  Joe's chest tube got pulled (was really infected) and they're using his fistula now.  One thing, he is getting major bruising every time he goes.  It's probably an area bigger than my hand all around where they poked him.  Is this normal, or just because this has been the first few times?

Also to update about his legs, he's starting some treatments next week.  One is some sort of electrical stimulation of his muscles to try to pump the excess fluid out of his legs, and there's also another boot treatment he's going to be doing.  I just hope the Dr. isn't trying to screw us on this.  Medicare pays for one of these, but the other one we have to pay for, and it's going to be 800.00 per month -OUCH- for a minimum of 3 months, then they'll re-assess.  The doctor was just going on and on about how good it is for circulation and how it could possibly prevent amputations and other problems, so of course we're willing to do whatever to scrape up that money, but it's a lot of money.   :-[

He's also started his phosphate blockers rather than the good ol' Tums.  Hopefully that will make whoever monitors his bloodwork happy. 

That's about it. 

WHAT???? Oh Jesus, save the $800 a month and have Joe lie on his back at night and put 5 pillows under his feet and I promise by morning the swelling will be gone. I smell SCAM. Please research this more before you pay any money out of pocket. PLEASE.

As for the bruising, no that's not normal, they are infiltrating his fistula and they may screw it up if they keep bruising him. Have someone else stick him. ONLY the best "sticker" in the unit should be sticking new fistulas.

Also is he still squeezing that ball? He better be squeezing it until his hand is numb. TRUST ME. He needs to get that fistula nice and FAT, don't stop until that vein looks like a snake under his skin.

As for the binders, what ever they told him to take add 2 more. That of course is just my opinion. The more he takes the little more freedom with his diet he can have. But "they" won't tell you that.

- Epoman

P.S. Your posting habits have slowed down. How come?  :( You used to post so much more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 09:10:23 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 09:11:54 PM »

So if there's any bruising or swelling at all, does that automatically mean they are infiltrating the fistula?  I just need to know so I can bitch correctly at the unit.   >:D  And can he overdose on the phosphate blockers?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:00:07 PM »

So if there's any bruising or swelling at all, does that automatically mean they are infiltrating the fistula?  I just need to know so I can bitch correctly at the unit.   >:D  And can he overdose on the phosphate blockers?

Yes of course what do you think a bruise is? it's blood. It takes a lot of talent to stick a new fistula. Every time they infiltrate it, they are doing harm to the fistula. As for the binders well the more he takes the more difficult it will be to go to the bathroom, if you know what I mean. I don't think you can overdose, well I guess you could. what kind is he taking. Let me know and I will tell you how much I have taken at once.

So how is Joe dealing with this emotionally now-a-days?

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »