I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I'm not a leper ..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm not a leper ..  (Read 3597 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: September 14, 2007, 04:39:42 AM »

But i might as well be ! . Because i'm stuck in , i am a member of a few different forums in the uk. After a while when people get to know you , they sometimes go to msn ..so you can chat away from the forum. Well a couple of times i have done this , been happily chatting, things in common .. like bikes! Then it comes down to .. So what do you do for a living ? As soon as i say i don't work , i have kidney failure and i'm on dialysis .. thats it .. gone , well not straight away. Firstly you get the show of interest and ..that must be tough etc etc , then you never here from them again ! I'm not looking for a husband or a carer , i have managed very well thankyou, but it makes me feel i'm not even 'friend' material anymore. So should i lie ? Should i invent a job ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:48:13 AM »

To hell with them! You are a good person and it's not your fault if you are not working. Who are they to judge?

Just tell them you are a Multi millionaire and you spend your time helping others. See how many fake friends you'll have then.. :)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:06:52 AM »

Sluff is right--give them a good story!  Then come here because we all love you! :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:23:53 AM »

Kickstart
They were obviously not worth knowing in the first place. In my experience of chat rooms,they need to be some kind of forum for a shared main topic such as IHD. In general public domain chatrooms apart from a few I would consider as genuine people there  seem to be many who appear to be very shallow and only seem to have any interest when they get the whiff of money. None of us need those kind of people. I don't use public chatrooms anymore because I got sick of talking to people with whom I had nothing in common and  talked bollocks most of the time.   :grouphug;

Ken
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:37:01 AM »

Kickstart
They were obviously not worth knowing in the first place. In my experience of chat rooms,they need to be some kind of forum for a shared main topic such as IHD. In general public domain chatrooms apart from a few I would consider as genuine people there  seem to be many who appear to be very shallow and only seem to have any interest when they get the whiff of money. None of us need those kind of people. I don't use public chatrooms anymore because I got sick of talking to people with whom I had nothing in common and  talked bollocks most of the time.   :grouphug;

Sorry Ken  its NOT chatrooms .. its forums , not IDH but nice ones all the same .. then we have gone to MSN.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »

Tell them it is very secretive and if you tell them you would have to kill them. Let them think you are with the KGB, CIA, Scotland Yard, FBI, IHD.   8)

Yea, you are operative with IHD. ;D
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:50:08 PM »

F... them why waste your time...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Roxy

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:45:51 PM »

Kickstart, I'm sorry they react that way. But everyone's right, they're not worth your time. Even if you invented a job, someone who isn't going to accept that part of you in any type of friendship, isn't worth knowing. If you enjoy those forums though, keep posting on them. You never know, someone might surprise you one day and be willing to continue to get to know all of who you truly are.  :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 12:46:08 AM »

Kickstart, they're probably married (men) or thought you were a man (women) or they are afraid you will want to meet in person (teenager) or you're not doing anything that would be worth pursuing (police.)

Don't worry, if someone is worth talking to, they'll hang in there.  :)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 05:13:53 AM »

Kickstart
They were obviously not worth knowing in the first place. In my experience of chat rooms,they need to be some kind of forum for a shared main topic such as IHD. In general public domain chatrooms apart from a few I would consider as genuine people there  seem to be many who appear to be very shallow and only seem to have any interest when they get the whiff of money. None of us need those kind of people. I don't use public chatrooms anymore because I got sick of talking to people with whom I had nothing in common and  talked bollocks most of the time.   :grouphug;

Sorry Ken  its NOT chatrooms .. its forums , not IDH but nice ones all the same .. then we have gone to MSN.

Sorry Kickstart you did say forums I just misread it. But you're certainly not a leper here or anywhere, it's their loss not yours. :grouphug;

Ken
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 01:19:01 PM »

I agree.  Tell them you're independently wealthy.  Or tell them your job is "top secret"  and that you really shouldn't be talking with them.  Could be dangerous!  ssshhhhh!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 01:57:41 PM »

you  know  what  i  do  with  life  in  general,  not  just  esrd,this  is  me  in  all  my  glory,good  points,  bad  points,if  they  don't  like  me, i  tell  them  in  a  not  so  polite  way,GO  AWAY :boxing;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 03:02:50 AM »

Hi KICKSTART,

I am working and on benefits but sometimes I really wish I wasn't working.  It annoys me when ppl go off sick from work with a cold or something stupid like that.  I haven't had a day off work in the last year.  I wish I wasn't working and the only reason I am is coz I don't qualify for all the benefits that are available.

I have a similar problem to you with ppl online but mine is more dating based.  I get to know a girl online and decide to be honest and tell her about my kidney failure.  Usually they don't want to know.  That's how it is and it sucks.  I thought about lying about it too for a while but couldn't lie about being out every Mon, Weds and Fri evening every week of the year for dialysis.

It does get to you but you just have to pick yourself up and move on.  :thumbup;

SCOTLAND NO.1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »