I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Constant nausea
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Constant nausea  (Read 4674 times)
LightLizard

« on: September 12, 2007, 04:05:45 PM »

how does one deal with persistant nausea? it started for me when i began taking a new phosphorus binder- 'Renagel.' ('new' for me, that is...)
its quite ironic, really, because its supposed to help metabolise phosphorus, but for me, it takes my appetite away because of the constant nausea it causes, so i can only manage to eat two meals a day.
 ???
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »

ask the doc for some phenergan- my husband takes it with his pills- he can barely eat sometimes too, but the phenergan really really helps.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
LightLizard

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »

thanks glitter! i'll definitely look into that. we have to give up so much because of our condition. i don't want to lose my passion for food, too! its pretty much all i have left. :-\

love

~LL~
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »

With all of the dietary restrictions, you should expect to enjoy what you are allowed to eat.  Be sure to let your doc know you are not eating well and ask about cutting the Renagel dosage in half and adding Extra Strength Tums at meal time.  If your labs are okay you don't need a high dose of Renagel.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
LightLizard

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »

thanks black. i was on two tums with every meal, for phosphorus binding, but my bloodwork showed that my calcium levels were rising too much, so now i've been reduced to one tum per meal and the renegel. next bloodwork on the 20th, or there-abouts, but i have to do something before that or i'll starve to death, i think.

love

~LL~
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 06:41:01 AM »

smoke more it will bring your appetite back Right?...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
LightLizard

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

smoke more it will bring your appetite back Right?...Boxman

i have said that i am an occassional user, not a habitual one, and it is not always possible to secure a supply of it in the first place. too much pot will make one lethargic, not enough will make you
subject to stupidity and judgemental attitutes.

;)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 10:35:08 AM »

Is it possible the nausea is being caused by something else ? I get it in general , nothing triggers it , but i spend lots of time looking into the bottom of the loo ! :rofl;  then as suddenly as it came , it passes. I take a tablet called Lansaprazole for my stomach , as another reason for being sick was all the medication we have to take. It was upsetting my stomach ,reflux , hiatus hernia all caused by medications. Now since i have been on those tablets it seems to be settling down. Maybe you need another tablet to counteract the first one ? (its a never ending chain!)

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »

ask the doc for some phenergan- my husband takes it with his pills- he can barely eat sometimes too, but the phenergan really really helps.

Wait, phengran?! A drug rep for the drug once told me that people with kidney problems should never take it because it causes further immediate damage to the kidneys!

On another note, is anyone else sick of hearing about marijuana besides me?  :banghead;
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:11:37 AM by paddbear0000 » Logged

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »

Wait, phengran?! A drug rep for the drug once told me that people with kidney problems should never take it because it causes further immediate damage to the kidneys!

On another note, is anyone else sick of hearing about marijuana besides me?  :banghead;

Phenergan is given to people on dialysis everyday.. what do you care about further damage done if your already on dialysis? The poster is already on dialysis.

Yes, I am tired of hearing the retarded subject marijuana.  :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:35:02 AM »

Phenergan is given to people on dialysis everyday.. what do you care about further damage done if your already on dialysis? The poster is already on dialysis.

I'm not on dialysis yet. Not everyone here is and if this is true, then people not yet on dialysis should not follow the advice to take phenegran.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
LightLizard

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 11:36:31 AM »

yes, i think phenergen might be worth a try for me.

as for being tired of the pot issue, i'm not the one that brought it up in this thread.

(if 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' - where is 'retarded'?)

;)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »

as for being tired of the pot issue, i'm not the one that brought it up in this thread.

;)

I don't recall saying you brought it up.

LightLizard

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 11:50:40 AM »

;)

I don't recall saying you brought it up.

you didn't, and i didn't say that you said that i brought it up, either.
so wat?.
;)
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 12:03:21 PM »

well my husband has no kidneys in his body- so for him phenergan is fine....and since you cannot buy it over the counter, you would have to ask your doctor for a prescription, and I would assume he would know your kidney status and if it was right for you.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
LightLizard

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »

i called the P/D clinic and spoke to a nurse there. she told me to stop taking the renagel, for now, and said she would talk to my neph to get any additional advice.

love

~LL~
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »

I'm not on dialysis yet. Not everyone here is and if this is true, then people not yet on dialysis should not follow the advice to take phenegran.

Correct... that's why I included the "This poster is already on dialysis." Because that sentence "what do you care about further damage done if your already on dialysis?" was directed to him I should of made it more clear, I apologize. :)

LL ~ The end... we agree.... to disagree.... :D

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »