I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Medication for sleep
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medication for sleep  (Read 11716 times)
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »

i guess you don't read very well. i mentioned at least 4 'medical' reasons why i use it, dear.
we are talking about aids to getting to sleep, I thought. for me, pot works best.
i do not consider the legalities of the matter because i know that the wide opinion
that condemns the use of cannabis is based on lies and propaganda and can only
be acceptable to those who are sucseptable to the brainwashing methods
of the industrial magnates that perpetrated the lies in the first place, in order to
meet their financial agenda.

if you believe everything your doctor tells you, without cross-reference and common sense,
you are a good robot, but not much of an individual.

'i'd rather sit alone on a pumpkin, than on a crowded, velvet cushion.'
-Thoroeau

love

~LL~
Like I said LL you are wacked "brainwashing methods" wow, pot has alot to do with that doesn't it??

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 07:06:57 AM »

The only 'pot' i use .. is a 'teapot'    :rofl;

I also have a pisspot 'cause I can't be bothered un-hooking in the middle of the night.

Ken
karen547

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »

LL- If you use marijuana without a doctors presciption, then give me a reason why you should be given a kidney versus a person who actually follows the law?? It pisses me off to think that you are getting away with that and are just so smug about it!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:33 AM »

my husband uses Trazadone 100mg- I am not sure what that is the generic for, and I am skeptical that it works. Between that, the phenergan (which is sedative based), the duragesic, and the ativan he does fade out pretty quick after pills at night, adding the sleep aid didn't make it any quicker .

As to smoking pot, keeping in mind that is ISN'T illegal in lots of countries, I smoked for over 25 years. I quit so my husband could quit too- there are risks to smoking with a compromised immune system. The mold aspergillious can be inhaled in smoke, and it can be fatal in post transplant peeps. Then there is the fact that Dr.'s in the USA have a stick up their ass when it comes to pot smoking and assume (wrongly) that people who smoke are hardcore 'drug addicts' and do not deserve a transplant, and I want him to have a transplant, and I want to donate him a kidney. It still annoys me when people who judge others for smoking pot, stand on the high horse of- 'its illegal'!!!  There are lots of things that people do that are illegal-and they do it anyway- riding down the road in the left lane for instance, its a PASSING lane- THOSE people should be shot! and their are plenty of people who do things I don't agree with, like dipping snuff and spitting in a cup-blech! (alright maybe they should be shot too!) I heard about the guy who got drunk and beat his wifes ass, I never heard about the guy who smoked a joint and giggled until the pizza was done...just my  :twocents;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 07:33:48 AM »

and as for who "desrves" a kidney- wow-if it was legal would they still "deserve" it less.?

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
AlasdairUK

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »

I don't have a problem sleeping, I wish I had more time to sleep during the week. I'm not sure if taking drugs (prescribed or otherwise) is the answer, I would suggest a more active life that makes you feel that you are in need of a good nights rest.

I'm sure my view would change if I could not sleep.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:01 AM »

AlasdairUK , sorry but it doesnt come down to exercise . I am on the go one way or another all the day ! Its not that you go to bed not feeling tired. You go to bed totally exhausted, cant keep eyes open and from out of no-where its like a light goes on in your head and you are awake. My sleep pattern is something like .. shattered .. go to bed .. not early about 11pm. Read till cant keep eyes open , put light off ..toss and turn for 2 hrs.Put light back on .. go downstairs .. sit for an hour .. try bed again. Fall asleep , yay .. one hour later awake again ..and pretty much the same till morning or till i've had enough sleep/wake/sleep/wake.  I dont sit in front of the tv all day doing nothing and i dont sleep in the daytime. I wont be convinced that this sleep pattern has nothing to do with renal failure .. i was an 8hr a night person before all this !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 08:43:02 AM »

This is from: National Institutes of Health - Kidney Failure: What to Expect - http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/expect/#sleep

Sleep Disorders

Patients on dialysis often have insomnia (trouble getting to sleep). Some people have a special problem called the sleep apnea syndrome. Episodes of apnea are breaks in breathing during sleep. Over time, these sleep disturbances can lead to "day-night reversal" (insomnia at night, sleepiness during the day). This can cause headaches, depression, and decreased alertness. The apnea may be related to the effects advanced kidney failure has on the control of breathing. Some treatments may work with people who have sleep apnea, whether they have kidney failure or not. These include losing weight, changing sleeping position, and wearing a mask that gently pumps air continuously into the nose (nasal continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP).

Many people on dialysis have trouble sleeping at night because of aching, uncomfortable, jittery, or "restless" legs. You may feel a strong impulse to kick or thrash your legs. Kicking may occur during sleep and disturb a bed partner throughout the night. Theories about the causes of this syndrome include nerve damage and chemical imbalances.

Moderate exercise during the day may help, but exercising a few hours before bedtime can make restless legs worse. People with restless leg syndrome should reduce or avoid caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco. Some people also find relief through massages or warm baths. A class of drugs called benzodiazepines may also help. They are often used to treat insomnia or anxiety. These prescription drugs include Klonopin, Librium, Valium, and Halcion. A newer and sometimes more effective therapy is levodopa (Sinemet). This drug is also used to treat Parkinson’s disease.

Sleep disorders may not seem important, but they can make your quality of life worse. Make sure to bring these problems up with your nurse, doctor, or social worker.

----------------

This is from American Society of Nephrology - Sleep Apnea in Renal Patients - http://jasn.asnjournals.org/cgi/content/full/12/12/2854

Sleep Apnea in End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)

Disturbed sleep is common in uremia. Up to 80% of chronic dialysis patients complain of sleep disturbances and reduced daytime alertness. Sleep disruption is a problem of paramount importance that is still inadequately appreciated by nephrologists. In healthy young subjects, restricting time in bed to 4 h per night for 6 d induces striking alterations in metabolic and endocrine function, including increased sympathetic tone and a state of insulin resistance (13). Both abnormalities are well known complications of chronic uremia. There are only a few valid studies, i.e. based on electrophysiologic recordings in the sleep laboratory, which documented the occurrence of sleep apnea in dialysis patients (14–23). (more)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 08:52:23 AM »

No amount of excersise, being busy, not napping can help the type of sleep problems people here are discribing.  My sleep pattern in exactly like Kickstart's.  It is pure bliss to get a good 8 hours sleep and if I have to take something to acheive that, thank goodness I can!   I use to be that person who didn't take any medications and was very smug about it.   Well, I have been put in my place by this disease and am grateful for those who discovered the drugs I need to keep going.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
LightLizard

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »

for the record, kiddies, i don't want to hijack this thread into a pot discussion. and, i have no intention of getting a kidney transplant, whether some think i 'deserve' it or not.
each of us does what we need to do in order to get by as best we can. you can judge me all you want. all that does is make you judge-able, too.
and boxman, if i'm not mistaken, your avatar is a pic of bob marley. he was a rastafarian and an extremely heavy user of pot, in case you didn't know.
;)
LightLizard

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 09:08:01 AM »

and thanks glitter. your words speak truth, at least.
there are sensible laws and their are questionable laws. the laws against pot are based on governmental and industrial (same thing) agendas. i am not for 'legalisation' at all. i am for 'de-criminalisation' of the substance. when governments can control the growth and distribution of cannabis, the quality of the product will suffer enormously. growing your own is best, but until that's a little safer, i'll stick to my trusted and reliable sources for getting my needs met.

love

~LL~
Roxy

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »

I don't smoke pot, I haven't for a few years...However, when I first got diagnosed with ESRD my first nephrologist told me it was ok to smoke in moderation if I wanted but I should just make sure I knew the grower and it wasn't laced. (She was telling me in the idea that knowledge and safety is better than me going off and doing it in an unsafe manner). With that same idea, post transplant I have been told by a different nephrologist that I can not smoke because of the fungus that can grow on my kidney, however if I at some point get the desire to (not likely) I should just bake it in brownies or something because it's a lot safer if I'm not smoking it. So, not all doctors in the U.S. have a stick up their ass. I think its just come to a point where it's such a widely debated issue that it's slowly becoming more accepted. Also, (and I might be wrong) but I don't think there is a whole lot of research saying that it is horribly bad for you. I'm not condoning it or condemning it, I'm just saying what my experience has been with my doctors in the U.S. So for everybody it's different.
Roxy

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 10:07:23 AM »

so back to the topic of actual medication for sleep...Kickstart when do you get to start the medication and how long until it's suppose to work?
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »

Im going to start it tonight , but ..its main use is to treat depression , so i have been told and a side effect of this tablet is it helps you sleep as well , hence the dual use. I have been told by some it will take up to 14 days to start being effective , but im not sure if thats as an anti depressant or not?  Anyway like i say .. if it makes me dopey at least i will be smiling !!! Not sure an anti depressant will be a bad thing either will all the housing problems i have !! I will post and let you know how it goes  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Roxy

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »

I know a lot of anti-depressants normally take about 14 days to start working, I'm not sure about the sleeping part of it though. I hope it works well for you, I know how frustrating it can be if you can't sleep through the night!
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007, 01:44:13 PM »

LL I could have used Jimi or Jim Morrison or Jerry or Janis or so on.. all where great musicians but all are dead from drugs. My choice is not because he did drugs it is a reminder of what drugs can ultimately do to you. Hope that straightens your curiosity out about my choice of avatars...Boxman

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007, 08:02:51 PM »

uhhh? didn't Bob Marley die from CANCER?

In July 1977, Marley was found to have malignant melanoma in a football wound on his right hallux (big toe). Marley refused amputation, citing worries that the operation would affect his dancing, as well as the Rastafari belief that the body must be "whole":

“ Rasta no abide amputation. I don't allow a man to be dismantled. ”
—From the biography Catch a Fire

Marley may have seen medical doctors as samfai (tricksters, deceivers). True to this belief Marley went against all surgical possibilities and sought out other means that would not break his religious beliefs. He also refused to register a will, based on the Rastafari belief that writing a will is acknowledging death as inevitable, thus disregarding the everlasting character of life.

Collapse and treatment
The cancer then metastasized to Marley's brain, lungs, liver, and stomach. After playing two shows at Madison Square Garden as part of his fall 1980 Uprising Tour, he collapsed while jogging in NYC's Central Park. The remainder of the tour was subsequently cancelled.

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2007, 08:09:52 PM »

ohh sorry so he is a hero now...My mistake

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »

i never said he was a hero, and I don't know what you mean by that. He WAS a great musician, and its a pity he died. Your facts were wrong.

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »

Why is he a hero boxman?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2007, 11:00:04 PM »

Did you see how he brought the 2 leaders of (i forget what nations or countries) together, it was a VERY BIG DEAL.  The man is a legend in every sense of the word... We Be Jammin' Mon...  O0

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 11:10:06 PM »

Nope, I didn't... What year was this?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 11:47:09 PM »

Why is he a hero boxman?

Whoa - this thread has gotten way off track!

Here's the info about Bob Marley -- but start a new thread if you want to continue:
Bob was awarded the famous Peace Medal of the Third World by the United Nations, a prestigious honor for his work in fighting for peace and justice in his native country of Jamaica and throughout Africa. In fact, the award was given to him by the Senegalese Youth Ambassador to the U.N., Mohmmadu Johnny Seka, on behalf of 500 million Africans.

Ok now back to SLEEEEEP!!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
LightLizard

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »

i love bob marley's music too. he died because he was too dedicated to his faith, which i consider stupid, not 'heroic.' its the same mentality that would deny a dying child a blood transfusion.

pot is not a 'drug' boxman, you're thinking is skewed by your rigid opinion, it seems. its not a refined substance, like a drug is, it is usually organic and would be more accurately referred to as an 'herb'-

morrison died from a heroin OD, same as janis and hendrix. those are drugs. your education may need upgrading, but i doubt you care about that and would rather rest in the happiness of your ignorance.

happy sleepin!

:)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »

Okarol is right--hopefullywe are done with pot, marley, and name calling. Except if you want your own thread about such subjects. O0 :boxing; :secret; ???

I had the first good nights sleep in a week!  Took my ambien, favorite pajamas and finally slept for 7 hours! :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »