I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Len coming on after 4 days
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Len coming on after 4 days  (Read 4188 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« on: September 10, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I'm a little stunned. I went to DC today to see Len. I took him on numerous walks and played step n' fetch it. The doctor came in and said they are going to send him home tomorrow. Day 4 after transplant. WTF? Is that normal. That seems awful quick to me considering everything that he had been through. They are weening him off IV medications to oral and the oxygen and taking Foley out. Am I crazy thinking this is too soon? All he has had to eat is jello, what they call chicken broth and cranberry juice and of course water. He has been able to pass a little gas (sorry), but hasn't had a bowel movement since surgery prep on Friday. Is this normal now? I guess because he spent 6 months straight in the hospital and then when they finally closed he's abdominal wound 4 1/2 years later he spent 10 days in the hospital that this just seems to be going to fast. I know that all the transplant patients here can hopefully answer my questions. I'm so worried that the transplant hospital is 2 hours away on a good traffic day. I'm sorry to keep bugging you guys but I'm starting to get emotional and today just sent my spinning. HELP.

Take Care
Kathy

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »

:yahoo;  WooHoo!!  :yahoo;
Roxy

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:12 PM »

I guess all hospitals may be different. They wanted me for 6 days, which ended up being 7 to be on the safe side. But to be honest, my last couple days in the hospital were just tedious and they felt unnecessary and I would've much rather been home. You just feel better once your home, so it might just be better this way. Just make sure you're comfortable with the levels and dosages of medications and what times you need to take them and track everything they want you to track like fluid intake and urine output.  :grouphug; I think you'll both feel more comfortable once you are at home together.  :cuddle;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 05:19:23 PM »

I went home after 4 days my first transplant, and 8 days my 2nd.. every hospital is different. They wouldn't send him home if they didn't think he was doing good.

Is he taking stool softners? Constipation is very common after any surgery, and especially a major one, and all the pain meds.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »

It does seem that transplant centers are moving patients out faster than they did in the past.  I agree that it would make sense to wait until he was eating normally and his GI tract was up and running before they let him go.  As to taking the Foley catheter out if they can do it then that is a major blessing.  I had more pain from that thing than from the surgical area itself.  I remember taking my first excursions and my first weekend trip home with that in place...not fun.  Best of luck to you and Len!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »

Hi Kathy,
Jenna was released after 3 days in the hospital. I was a bit concerned but the doctor said that the germ level (and the kinds of "bad bugs") meant a higher risk with each extra day in the hospital. He said a patient will sleep better at home and healing will be faster. Coming home with the big bag of meds, having to weigh her, check blood pressure, take her temperature, keep the fluids up, seemed overwhelming at first. But she did great, was eating and able to get herself to the restroom, so we got comfortable right away. We stayed near the hospital because of the numerous labs and follow up appointments the first few weeks. We actually had a friend who loaned us their house, but our hospital had apartments available for people who were in your situation. Ask to speak to the hospital social worker or patient representative. This may be an option for you. I hope things level out soon. Take care of yourself too Kathy! Get a friend to help you if you can!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »

It is not uncommon. I had my transplant on a Thursday morning and discharged on a Sunday. I did have to stay with in an hour drive from the hospital. I lived two hours away. I stayed at a house for patients and family members of hospitalized patients. I did much better away from the hospital. I rested better. You both will do just fine.  :cuddle;

The bowel problem is very common.  
You've got a great group of people here for moral support as well as your transplant team. Call them if you need them.  :grouphug;

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »

our hospital had apartments available for people who were in your situation

UCSD had that too, not apartments but a hotel like facility called the Bannister Family House.  It was basically private rooms with a large living room area, a shared kitchen, and an internet room with a computer for patients and their families.  This was back in 2001 and the computer used a dialup modem.  Thanks for making me remember that...not sure now which was worse...the catheter or dialup!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 06:36:10 PM »

Sounds to me like they think Len is just fine to go home, i hope they know what they are talking about, but reading what the others are saying, i think  he will be just fine.  Ohhh, i bet he cant wait to come home and sleep in his own bed and PEEEEEE in his own toilet  :yahoo;  I hope all turns out well and remember we are just a keyboard away if you come across any questions or just need a little support.   :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Jill D.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 09:29:53 PM »

I had surgery on a Tuesday and walked out Saturday night. I thought you had to have a BM before you could leave. That was the MOST painful part for me!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
st789

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »

I stayed for 4 days and drs wanted me to go home to avoid bugs in the hospital.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 10:19:37 AM »

Boy, that's reassuring when the hospital implies they aren't sanitary!   ;)

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 04:32:25 PM »

Here's related info paddbear: Hospital-acquired infections http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4949.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 11:37:48 AM »

Here's related info paddbear: Hospital-acquired infections http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4949.0

Well, that's not cool! Yah know, the number of times I've been in the hospital and/or had surgery, I've never gotten an infection or sick (except for what I went in with)! I already have an weakened immune system. I guess I've just been lucky.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 07:02:07 AM »

I went home at noon on the 5th day.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »