I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 04:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Gil is my real name
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gil is my real name  (Read 3107 times)
Gil

« on: April 30, 2006, 06:30:03 PM »

Hi to all,
Got this link from Kevin, and I am glad to see that he has got many friends here.

My story in short:
1962, I am 21. Kidney stones, PKD is suspected.
1984-Jan, Shunt surgery. Still working in 2006!
1984-May, 1st tx, 6 weeks, CMV, the kidney or your life, bye bye kidney.
1984 Jun-29, First hemo.
1986 2nd tx, never worked, severe infection.
1986 Moved to the US, got antibiotic for 3 years until infection was over.
1987 Bi-nephrectomy.
2000 A month of PD adventure, didn't work for me. Back on hemo.
2001 3rd tx. Almost 5 years on parole, every day is a precious gift out of a borrowed time.

I did okay on dialysis, worked all these years, did the needles myself and set the machine myself.
I don't hate dialysis but occasionally I have nightmares about going back there……

Since 1999 I've been active on a few message boards but now I've less time as I am busy with a home based business I've started.
And if you couldn't do the math I am 65, but I don't feel a day older than 56……

And I wouldn't be here to tell my story without the love and support of my wife.

My full story and lots of tips can be found in my website, which I started in late 1999.
So far about 26,000 visitors and counting.
http://gil1.home.pipeline.com/esrd/

I'll soon add a link to this website in my Links page.

Best wishes to all!
Gil

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 06:33:38 PM by Gil » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:12:03 PM »

Hi Gil,  I'm glad to know Kevno has one "friend."   ;D

Thank you for telling me your age.  I'm bad at math!  Welcome to the site and thank you for posting a link from your page.

From what I could tell you have your transplant and it is still going strong.  Yes, each day with a transplant is a gift.  You get up to 12 hours a week back to do with what you wish. 

Please go to the Transplant Stories thread and tell us some of your experiences.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 10:25:21 PM »

Hey Gil,

Welcome I remember reading you site years ago. And I have seen you and your site on other message boards. You are a very popular guy. Welcome to my site and thank you for the link you placed on your site, I will be linking you on my site once I finish creating the Official ihatedialysis.com Home page. Also if you ever need a web host or would like me to help you get your own domain name I would be glad to help. I can even host the site for you for free through epohosting.com which is also one of my sites.

"And I wouldn't be here to tell my story without the love and support of my wife."
Tell me about it, I too have a great wife who is unbelievably supportive. I am blessed.

Well again welcome to the site and I hope I see many of your posts, we have a great bunch of people here.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:27:25 PM by Epoman » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 02:49:10 AM »

Hold on Gil just have to type something first.

Very Funny, NOT Rerun  ;D

Welcome to the site Gil

We are all in the same boat here, Hope you post here. I am sure you will be able to advise some patients if they have any problem. Plus if you have any question too. We all know we are not Doctors but we have a lot of experiences and knowledge of renal problems.

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Gil

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »

Hi again friends,

I must say that I know that I have been lucky.
If you are "entitled" to kidney failure then PKD is your best bet (if they let you choose).
PKD comes with higher rate of aneurysm and mitral valve failure – not me.
I have nothing extra- no diabetes, heart or whatever.

And I was lucky to meet to most wonderful woman in the www. (After divorcing the… err… let's say, the opposite :-X).
On the first time we met I knew that it was it. We talked for about 8 hours, and of course I told her that dialysis would be in my future. That was 28 years ago and we still continue to talk a lot.

And while I am the optimistic type I had quite a few rough moments when the first and second transplants failed, accompanied by severe sickness and numerous surgeries, and she was there, waiting outside the OR for hours, helpful and cheerful (and crying when I couldn't see).  Btw, coming to the US saved my life, as at that time there was no effective antibiotic against my bug. I was 3 years on Cipro, which back then was experimental, until a new drug cured me once and for all.

And I have been lucky being treated in one of the best hospitals and dialysis units in the US (Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit MI).
And lucky enough to be an expert in my field (software for machine tools) so I could make a decent living and support my family.

The third transplant wasn't smooth, the kidney didn't deliver, the surgeon said 50-50 and I watched the twin towers collapsing while in the hospitals.
But that was almost 5 years ago and counting.
Prednisone was stopped after 18 months and now I take 3x500 mg cellcept and 2x1mg rapamune. No moon-face, no weight gain, no hair loss.

The name Epoman reminds that in 1987 I was the first volunteer to test EPO in my unit. My Hgb was 6 and I received 2 units of blood every other week. With such a low blood count you have no desire to do anything. The Epo study was doubly blind, but after 3 weeks I had no doubt that I was on the right stuff ;D

Lately I was lucky again – 7 weeks ago I tripped and twisted my ankle. But fortunately I found myself sitting on the floor, no broken hips, no ribs, no nothing. After 6 weeks with a boot I can now put on the shoe, at home for now.

And if this post is a little long - you ain't heard nothing yet.
Altogether I put about 700 K of text on my website.

I try to focus on my blessings, but probably anyone has to get his/her share of troubles to appreciate their blessings.

Gil

kevno

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:31:09 PM »

Gil,
I remember the trail for EPO in the UK 1988, it was well painful to have. Like a Bee sting going down your arm.
It worked to good for me a Hb of 7.5 to 14. So the Epo had to be stopped, because I was on the lowest dose that I could have had. Plus my BP was very high

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:28:46 AM »

Sadly I just came across this message on Gil's homepage:

The Ultimate Battle
The battle is over, and at 3:00pm on May 20, 2007 we lost a dear husband, a father, and a friend. We promise to share the full story, but for now we still need time to grieve. --Penny and Ron, wife and son

His story is there at http://gil1.home.pipeline.com/esrd/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »

Love to his family at this late date.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 08:20:57 PM »

Prayers for the loved ones.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Jill D.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »

What a fighter...his life is an inspiration. Love and hugs to his family  :grouphug;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »