I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:33:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Techs who flirt with patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Techs who flirt with patients  (Read 5567 times)
karen547

« on: September 09, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »

I had a problem with one tech a while back who constantly flirted with me and stared at me all the time! He was also very lazy and coincidentally got fired, but my point here is it creeps me out and I feel vulnerable enough without having some ugly tech act inappropriate with me! 
 >:(
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:43:59 AM »

So report him?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Roxy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:55:21 AM »

Would it have made a difference if he was cute??  :) I only say this because when I was on dialysis, the first place I dialyzed at had A LOT of male techs and a few of them were really cute. I enjoyed the flirting, because it made me feel better. It was fun to pass the time with something and dialysis made me feel less desirable i guess; so it was a good boost in my self esteem when I had someone flirting with me while I was hooked up to my machine.
karen547

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 10:01:57 AM »

I like flirting too but this was different somehow, it was creepy, i just didnt like his vibe, u know?
Roxy

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »

Yeah I know what you mean. I like to turn those situations into "funny time" for me. In other words I find a way to make myself laugh by making that person feel uncomfortable right back. A taste of their own medicine normally does the trick, you just have to find the right way of  going about it.  ;) Plus you can always just tell creepy techs to leave you the hell alone and ask for another one.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

I wish someone would flirt with me!!! :-*

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 11:23:44 AM »

:-*

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »

There was a nurse at my dialysis unit, an 'old' spinster (age 40), who used to flirt with me, once even to the point of siting in my lap while I was on dialysis!  The other nurses used to crowd around her and find some excuse to get her away from me when she started to go too far.  All of this happened despite the fact that she knew I was married, since my wife would come to pick me up at the end of my treatment sessions.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 02:54:14 PM »

WTF??  sit on YOUR lap during treatment?  didn't YOU tell her to get the f*ck off?  and what do you mean "old spinster" AT AGE 40?? Dont you realize i am going to be 40 (but i prefer to say 30/10) and i do not consider myself OLD thank you very much  8)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
karen547

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »

When the guy I had issues with worked, I sometimes pretended to be sleeping lol
George Jung

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 08:56:51 PM »

There has been this Blondie (hottie) at the center for the past few weeks who I WISH would flirt with me.  I don't care that she is probably dating a doctor or whatever else she does outside of that place, it sure would make my time there a bit better.  :banghead;
Roxy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »

The most fun I had with flirting during dialysis is when the EMT guys would bring in, or come to pick up a patient that was going to/ coming from the hospital, they were cute and they looked damn good in that uniform...they were SO fun to flirt with.  ;)  :angel;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 11:46:07 PM »

Karen I can understand you being creeped out if you felt his actions were inappropriate and you don't have much choice when you're confined to THAT chair.. It's not like you can move away from him or something so I guess it's good he got fired (but not good if he was lazy and could have made all kinds of mistakes affecting patient care). I have a young female friend who enjoyes coming into the unit for the hot 22 y.o. male nurse she can perve on (she just sent me a text message earlier at her glee! LOL). Alas no hotties (female) in my unit for me to perve on, but there was a fellow patient who I flirted with quite a bit... she still visits me from time to time.. so I guess it kind of worked?!! (although she has a boyfriend damnit!). In fact one of the nurses tried to set us up on a dialysis cruise... how funny!

Seriously though while flirting can usually be fun when you (as a patient) are stuck in the chair and are reliant on the staff for care it can really cause problems specially if the attention is not apprieciated. I guess you need to let the person know it's inappropriate/unwanted and if they continue approach the management.

And KS you know I flirted with you!!!!! Geez! I may not be a hottie but I've got heart!! *sniff sniff*

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 11:52:59 PM »

Flirtation is a two-way thing. It can be fun and humorous, if the other person is receptive. It doesn't have to be sexual, or lead to anything, it can just be playful. But there's a difference between flirtation and sexual harassment. Harassment is something a person knows very well is intimidating, but carries on anyway.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 12:04:06 AM »

its funny, im more or less invisible once i sit down in that chair, unless the machine goes off that is. its kind of a blessing in disguise, i wouldnt want my girlfriend to go and hunt down any techs who tried to flirt with me :P
keefer51

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 02:35:27 AM »

Flirting! Bring it on. Even if they are old spinsters. I flirt. They flirt. But this guy sounds creepy. When you have to sit in a chair for four hours you don't need some a-hole watching your every move. They have too much power over us for that time and they know it. Speaking with a administrater might help. A baseball bat is even better!

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 03:18:06 AM »

There was a nurse at my dialysis unit, an 'old' spinster (age 40), who used to flirt with me, once even to the point of siting in my lap while I was on dialysis!  The other nurses used to crowd around her and find some excuse to get her away from me when she started to go too far.  All of this happened despite the fact that she knew I was married, since my wife would come to pick me up at the end of my treatment sessions.

OLD SPINSTER??? 40??? Ahem me thinks you are heading for a whole lot of trouble !! Goofynina might have a big stick ..but im the one going to be holding you down !!! :boxing; :boxing; :boxing;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 10:16:07 AM »

Most of the female nurses & techs would flirt with Rob when he was in-center.  He loved it!  He used to flirt all the time with them too.  He was one of the youngest patients there and the most alert, so they loved him.  Thankfully I am not a jealous person.  I was happy to see him flirt, it made the time go fast for him and made him feel like he was still his old self.   :2thumbsup;

But I know what you mean when a creepy person flirts with you....ugh!!!!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
st789

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »

I think flirting is good for the self-esteem but not creepy stuffs.
cabarle

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »

I've never had a tech try to flirt with me. My wife thinks I flirt, but in all honesty I've been married for so long, I've forgotten how to flirt. Besides, who wants to flirt with a bald guy?

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »

Besides, who wants to flirt with a bald guy?

Don't count your chickens..you'd be surprised!  :yahoo;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »

This may be off topic but the other night we went to IHOP and i flirted with the waiter (in front of Sam)  :o  lol,  led to a very interesting evening ;) ;)  ::)   I think it is cool if you do it while you are with your partner and it definetly adds a little spice in our lives  :2thumbsup;

i should add that the waiter was very nice and went along with it but in all actuality i think i probably scared the crap out of him, lol,  :oops;   
but then again, he did keep coming back to our table more than the others, lol,  ::)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:07:40 AM by goofynina » Logged

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »

WTF??  sit on YOUR lap during treatment?  didn't YOU tell her to get the f*ck off?  and what do you mean "old spinster" AT AGE 40?? Don't you realize i am going to be 40 (but i prefer to say 30/10) and i do not consider myself OLD thank you very much  8)

30/10 i like that one. there was an actor from the 50's jack benny who used to get this strange look on his face whenever he was asked how old he was, and say "i'm 39. i used to say "jack benny and i are going to be 39, FOREVER" that worked quite well until some smart mouthed little twerp whined at me "who's jack benny"  i don't care i'm still going to be 39 FOREVER!

karol is right, when someone's flirting makes you uncomfortable it's harassment and needs to be reported. maybe that's part of the reason he was dismissed.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »

Bald is beautiful!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 09:33:21 PM »

Bald is beautiful!

Oh Kit, remind me to buy you another lunch!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »