I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Why I Love My Dialysis Centre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I Love My Dialysis Centre.  (Read 22334 times)
draven

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »

What i like about my center

1. staff are friendly and most staff do really care for their patients.
2. we get a decent cooked meal with dessert.
3. a few nurses are real pros at sticking needles. so no fear of needles.

What i dont like about my center.

1. the unit runs late sometimes by 2 hours on a regular basis.
2. the tv's in my unit require binoculars to see whats on. you also need to be able to lipread to "hear" the tv.
3. No ice machine ???
LadyStardust89

Best darnest bowie fan dialysis patient ever...

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 08:25:02 AM »

I like this topic... because I love my unit.

But yea... I dont usually have a problem with my nurses... unless they want to go into a new spot.. then I'll argue. But other than that, They are the coolest staff around! (plus they wear spiffy scrubs)  i think no one likes dialysis.. but you make the best of what you have. But.. yes we do have a great ice machine.. but its hard since the nurses watch you like a hawk..

also.. no offense to anyone.. but I dont understand how they can just let you decided how much fluid to get off... at our unit they take off as much as they can as much as you gained. because too much fluid can really hurt you... I would probably get slapped if i gained 4kilos and told them to only take off 2..  But I think it's important to have trust with your staff.. like with anyone. But you should trust them with your body and life. So unless theres no trust.. then obviously you will hate your unit.

Bowie fan,llama fanatic... dialysis patient. Wicked.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »

But I think it's important to have trust with your staff.. like with anyone. But you should trust them with your body and life. So unless theres no trust.. then obviously you will hate your unit.

Yes, trust is really important, and without it dialysis is scary.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Gramapat

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:36 AM »

Hi LadyStardust,

It's good to hear that you like your unit.

I wanted to explain why I am the one to decide how much fluid comes off my body.  Mainly because it's my body and I know it better than anyone else.  My actual weight fluctuates within a 5 pound range.  I still pee a lot and like I said I can tell by looking at my hands whether I have gained fluid or not.  I have abdominal problems and if I have been vomiting between treatments, I won't even be up to my dry weight.  If I have not been vomiting and have been able to eat and not had any BM's, my weight will be well over my dry weight even though I have not gained much fluid. 

When I first started dialysis last year and didn't know much, I just let them take whatever they said needed to be taken.  I was constantly having my BP drop too low and getting sick.  They would use that machine thing and things would be okay.  Next time, no machine and I'd get sick again.  Once I had read a lot here at IHD and understood more about it, I started telling them how much to take off.  Since then, I've only been sick a few times.  You just can't go by the book, or by the numbers, on every person.  Real life doesn't work that way - and I'm proof of that.

I don't believe that you have to trust the people in your unit with your life.  I only trust myself.  I make sure that everything is set right, etc, because they are human and humans make mistakes.

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 06:56:09 AM »

But I think it's important to have trust with your staff.. like with anyone. But you should trust them with your body and life.

While I do agree that trust between the patient and the staff is extremely important, I definitely do not believe anyone should blindly "trust them with your body and life".  The patient and the staff should ideally be partners in the process, but the ultimate decision-making ability should always remain in the hands of the patient. 

Anyone can make a mistake.  The patient can help to reduce the odds of doing so, however, if he or she remains vigilant and closely monitors the care they are receiving.  Question anything you do not understand or do not think is in your best interests.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:02:20 AM by David13 » Logged

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »

What I like about my clinic:
The staff and techs are all nice and friendly
They all like to cut up & have a good time (I like that they carry on with us & treat us "human")
They will come around with a tray of cups of ice and the ice is shaved ice  MMMMMM
The dietician is really nice and she seems to be interested in your life outside of "D"
They have functions/get togethers outside of "D"
For the most part, all the patients are nice and friendly

Things I don't like about my clinic:
The doctor is not always around when you need him
There is a "new" tech there and she is nice and all but boy is she DINGY, slow & acts like she does not know what she is doing half the time (I have told them that I do not want her touching me)
The clinic could be a little cleaner
They don't call you if they KNOW they are running late (why don't they do that?)
I don't like that they do not always give you a return phone call the same day

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »

My center was the best around until Davita bought them out. Now it's the pits.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:46 AM »

FlipBob
I was afraid that would happen to you
so sorry
but then, today we got 4 ounces of diet sprite and a rice krispie treat,
can you beat that
and we are only allowed to watch pg movies
we got to see  Mrs Doubtfire
like I haven't seen that a million times
so I watched tv
I really am sorry about your center, I know you used to like it
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »

The have a new wi-fi but all the sites like youtube and itunes are blocked. They also say in their disclaimer that they monitor patient internet usage.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »

The have a new wi-fi but all the sites like youtube and itunes are blocked. They also say in their disclaimer that they monitor patient internet usage.

well, what can they do if you are on a site they do not approve
they make sure our movies, that we want to place where everyone can see them or not R rated
so, you have a beautiful home to go to
so screw them
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

My next project is to weigh in naked so there will be no dispute on how much I gained.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »

My next project is to weigh in naked so there will be no dispute on how much I gained.

I'd like to see that!
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »

FlipBob
I was afraid that would happen to you
so sorry
but then, today we got 4 ounces of diet sprite and a rice krispie treat,
can you beat that
and we are only allowed to watch pg movies
we got to see  Mrs Doubtfire
like I haven't seen that a million times
so I watched tv
I really am sorry about your center, I know you used to like it

Yeah, we're only allowed to watch PG movies too. And for awhile, they had the music video channels blocked out because they said David (this one mentally challenged guy there) might see something like W.A.S.P., Children Of Bodom or Slayer and try to act it out. But thing is, one time I asked him if he liked musc videos and he said Hannah Montana and The Cheetah Girls were his favorite groups and that he liked country and basically those were the only videos he's ever seen, so I don't think W.A.S.P. and Slayer were too much of an influence on him and apparently neither did the staff because now we have MTV, Vh1, MTV2 and VH1 Classic. Beats the stuffing out of PBS Kids, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon if you ask me. That stuff reduces your I.Q. by about 1,000 points. And it's even worse when they have SpongeBob SquarePants and Jimmy Neutron marathons, those shows are just ignorant drivel, even for kids.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 04:22:45 AM »

I love Spongebob SquarePants - yesterday at D I watched him for 4 hours
but do not touch my MTV and MTV2
last night my son and I watched a marathon of True Life - it is real reality tv
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

Are you ready kids?    I love Spongebob!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:56 AM »

Nurse at my unit the other day gave me a renal nursing journal and asked me to read an article on things nurses should know about renal transplantation.. she wanted to know if she should read it! LOL That was interesting. Actually I enjoyed the whole journal a few interesting articles in it.. specially one about needling - retrograde or antegrade needling and which is better. Oh yeah what reading material for a day on the machine!!! :)

Speaking about watching videos I take my laptop in and they don't tell me what I should or shouldn't watch but I did decide to cut out watching Californication there...in case one of the elderly patients happened to see something they might not apprieciate (or which might drive their BP too high!!! hehehe). Luckily I mostly watch sci-fi and other stuff like that that's hardly going to upset anyone.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

Thank you Lord, they are fast putting me on and taking me off. Once they get started they get me on quick!

In Wisconsin where i visited recently FMC people were slow getting patients on and off of the machines.  It sure adds time to your stay in the center! One night I got there at 8 o'clock and was not on the machine until 9:30 and they only have six to eight nocturnal patients there to deal with at that time. Sigh!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 03:41:32 AM »

I'm having 6 weeks of haemo following a hernia repair. I normally do PD. My nearest dialysis unit is 400km away but luckily I have a daughter there and am staying with her. The dialysis unit in Dubbo NSW Australia gets my vote for friendliness, support and help. I'm glad that the unit has been available to me during this time.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
GraphicBass

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:32 AM »

Why I like my dialysis center (FMS in suburban Atlanta, GA):

1. It's a reasonable distance to drive - less than a 15 minutes. (There are a couple that are closer, but I like this center a lot!)
2. All of the techs and nurses are great, once you used to the slight differences in techniques. There's only one who's a little rough, so I asked that he not be assigned to me.
3. I get hooked up on time about 9 out of 10 times. If they're running late, it's because people on the first shift arrived late.
4. They call and ask me if I want to come in early if a chair is available; usually I can come in earlier than my normal 10:30 time.
5. They're also flexible if I need to change days, like this past week, when my normal Thursday was pre-empted by some day surgery.
6. They're aggressive about taking fluid off, but will abide by my preferences. Some days, I just don't want to handle that "washed-out" feeling because I need to work after the treatment. Other days, I feel up to challenging my dry weight a little more than usual. I never take off less than I have gained, so they're usually happy with that amount. 
7. They reserve one of a couple of preferred chairs for me to bring out my laptop, iPhone and notes so I can keep up with work (close to an outlet, no direct sun in the window, left-side dialyzer). And they're happy to plug things in for my if I forget before getting hooked up.
8. The nurse manager, unit secretary and other staff are excellent and very responsive.
9. The unit doctor checks in on me even though I am not his patient, which I appreciate.
10. All the techs and nurses are taking great care with my new fistula to avoid damaging it. And they compare notes about the fistula is located and how it runs. I REALLY appreciate that attitude.

What I don't like about my dialysis center:

1. No ice chips, although they will fetch a cup or water or a very tasty protein bar (handy when I forget my snacks!).
2. Although we only get snow/ice rarely, they don't de-ice or plow the parking lot very well.
3. Early shift (6:30 am) patients who come in late make everything run late for the rest of the day, but the clinic managers can't seem to come up with an effective way to deal with it. Not sure I know what the solution is, either, but it is irritating.

Dialysis is inconvenient, to be sure, but I can't say I hate it. I hate that my kidneys have failed, but I really like the way I feel now, which is better than I have in years.

gary
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

Sounds good Gary... pleases me to know your going to be 'ok' with it all. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »

Why I love my dialysis centre????

No comment :rofl;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »

Love ya, Des!

Galvo
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:39 AM »

I love my dialysis center. The nurses and techs are great and I am very friendly with many of them. The group of patients I have d with are also a great group. We do twilight M-W-F. Our starting time is 5:30 and we often get on early. We have a snack around 7pm - sandwich, cookies and tea. (they take 5 off for the tea! LOL).  I read from my kindle or use my computer or talk to my neighbors. It is very quiet and some can sleep although I cannot not.

WMoriarty
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »

I envy the sleepers - I've had one nap in 5 weeks. Too scared I'll move my arm. Would love to sleep the time away. It's great to read that some D units are pleasant places. Shame that they all aren't.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Hazmat35

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »

I must say, that I have heard the horror stores of some centers. 

Now, my center in Winter Garden, FL, I can't imagine me being at another.  The Nurses are great, the Techs are great, and the Facility Administrator is fantastic.  :cheer:  They are so swamped with new patients, they can hire enough people quick enough.  But, they do get help from the other centers in the area.  The Dietitian and Social Worker, too, they are all top notch.  If I have  a question, all i have to do is ask, or email them, and they respond quickly and with TONS more info than what I asked for. 

When I 1st started, I was having anxiety attacks, one after the other! :puke;  It was horrible.  Before they even poked me with a needle, my BP would bottom out from nerves.  I've since overcome this fear (thank you XANAX), and now we all laugh about it.   :rofl;

My Nurses and Technicians are the best!  That is all I can say!  They make my miserable Dialysis experience the best possible experience they can.  They laugh and cut-up all day long.  It is very light hearted, I don't know if it is because they are exhausted from working the crazy hours they put in, or because they are all just plain crazy, but whatever it is, I love it!   But, if someone needs help or special attention (as I did when I first started) or if they are in need of something, they are right on top of it! 

As far as time, I am always within my appointment time unless they have had some issues on the first two shifts with someone coming in late or having troubles.  But I am always with 10-minutes of my scheduled time of being hooked up to my machine.  Some days, they call me and ask if I can come in early, and on some days I ask them they same thing, so we try to accommodate each other.  Some days, I admit I do have to wait, but it is to be expected.  NOTHING runs 100%. 

I think if you are not happy or comfortable with your center, then it is time to move along and find another.  I know that I visited several centers in my area before I started, for just that reason.  And let me tell you, I left some of the centers "RUNNING" because they are so nasty!!!! 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »