I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:59:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Humor, Pictures, Stories and Poems
| | |-+  "The Lighter Side of Dialysis" The Book!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Lighter Side of Dialysis" The Book!  (Read 19746 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: April 25, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »

http://www.lightersideofdialysis.com/- Check it out

I spoke with the Vice President of Operations for Jazz Communications Ltd Jonathan Zweig about posting the pictures from the book here for our members to enjoy and he kindly gave me permission to do so. I will be posting some pictures from the book (Volume 1)

However I encourage you to purchase the book at this link: LINK REMOVED NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE
Or Call 1-866-239-3279 to order from anywhere in North America.
Or International callers dial (+1) 905-482-2165 When you order online be sure to choose this site when it asks you where you heard about the book. Or if you call let them know.  :)

The book is only $9.95 :o and has over 3 Dozen cartoons. You can take it and pass it around at your center to help cheer up some fellow patients, or give it to family members as a present and "say here want to read my biography?"  ;D

The book is fabulous and it is written by a dailysis patient. Here's an excerpt from his site, about the book:

When Peter Quaife began drawing dialysis cartoons as a way to pass time at the clinic, he had no idea he was creating a sensation. But then again, creating sensations is nothing new to Peter Quaife, as he and three of his friends had created a musical smash some thirty-five years earlier. “It was really just something to do because I got bored with doing crossword puzzles and watching TV all the time,” said Peter. So he began to draw cartoons purely for his own amusement, depicting the trials and tribulations to which all dialysis patients and staff can relate. However, when one of Peter’s regular nurses saw what he was doing, she was simply knocked out.

LINKS REMOVED, NOT WORKING.

Artist's Message:

Hello fellow dialysis patients,

For the last 10 years, I have been a dialysis patient. During those long, boring, sessions, I found that drawing cartoons was an amusing outlet for all of my frustrations with the condition, the hospital and even at times, the professionals that were treating me. I hope you can enjoy the humour in these cartoons - I know I certainly enjoyed creating them! I have tried to make light of the various situations that I know we have all had to endure at one time or another. I hope these cartoons will make your situation a little better, wherever you may be. Remember, there is always humour - even in the deepest despair.

Many Regards,

Peter Quaife

So for your enjoyment here are two pictures from the book and every month I will one couple more, check out our "Cartoon" section on our home page. But seriously the book is a MUST have if you are a dialysis patients. I endorse this book 100%.  8)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:18:02 PM by kitkatz » Logged

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
hyperlite

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:04:50 PM »

The guy in cartoon #2 must have just finished exams....kind of looks like me   ;D
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:27:53 PM »

Those are great! LOL

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 05:39:37 PM »

I want that book!!  ;D  You wouldn't happen to have a PROMO CODE to give us would you? :P

oooh IHD is on there!!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 05:47:27 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sandman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 05:45:24 PM »

Cool.  I'm getting this one for Angie.  I can't wait to read it myself.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 05:52:48 PM »

Cool.  I'm getting this one for Angie.  I can't wait to read it myself.
Aww that is so nice of you Jeff :) But even though the site does NOT say ... it WILL work with PayPal. Since I have PayPal I can pay for it myself even without a credit card :) If you want, you can just pay me back later ha ha  :P

I have my PayPal set up to work through my bank account ;)

So it is $15.79 USD total. (incl tax & delivery)

only thing is .. because I am paying in Canadian dollars I must pay: $18.28 CAD

PayPal's Exchange Rate as of Aug. 5, 2006:
  1 Canadian Dollar = 0.864055 U.S. Dollars

You can see some more of the comics here :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 06:00:53 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 05:59:08 PM »

Sure, not a problem.  I will reimburse you for it.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:10:23 PM »

Oh Geez, you guys!   Buy the book already!   Move on with your lives! ;D :D ;D >:D

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 06:07:05 PM »

Oh Geez, you guys!   Buy the book already!   Move on with your lives! ;D :D ;D >:D
I just wanted to share that you can get it with PayPal :P

I just hope it actually shows up because I have ordered things before on the net that never came to my apartment.  :-\ :'(

added: I got the book in my hands already!! It is a small book but I love it! 14 days and I got it in my hands :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 07:52:57 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 12:23:21 AM »

I just hope it actually shows up because I have ordered things before on the net that never came to my apartment.  :-\ :'(

added: I got the book in my hands already!! It is a small book but I love it! 14 days and I got it in my hands :)

Awesome, glad you like it. Shhhh don't tell anyone but I have Volume 2. In fact vol 3 is coming out soon, sorry but volume 2 is not for sale yet. When you ordered did you make sure to choose this site as where you heard about it?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

sandman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 12:58:46 AM »

Awesome, glad you like it. Shhhh don't tell anyone but I have Volume 2. In fact vol 3 is coming out soon, sorry but volume 2 is not for sale yet. When you ordered did you make sure to choose this site as where you heard about it?

I do believe she did sir.  Have you seen this?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=484.msg10792#msg10792
thom

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 02:48:12 AM »

I had a book published last year of my journals. paintings, drawings ect. i'm studying fine art and it was part of my final first year project.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 12:41:02 PM »

I had a book published last year of my journals. paintings, drawings ect. i'm studying fine art and it was part of my final first year project.

Cool, how about make a thread in off topic: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0  and post some of your drawings? What do you think of the dialysis cartoon book?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

thom

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »

Cool, how about make a thread in off topic: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0  and post some of your drawings? What do you think of the dialysis cartoon book?

Ok :)

Yeah they are kind of funny, wasn't in stitches but it lightens the mood.
ohhmygolly

patient care tech 4 yrs.equp. tech past 16 yrs

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 11:41:48 PM »

epoman: i have vol 1
now i want vol 2 --where, how and when can i get it ?
vol 1 was a big hit at my unit- yes a big hit!!!
thanks orville
p.s. thanks for 1 very good site
iKAZ3D

06/08/2013

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »

Anyone else notice that you can't find this book anymore?! It makes me sad, I want it!!!

August 16th, 1996 - Born in Sacramento, CA; Born with Posterior Urethral Valves
September 2008 - Large Reconstruction, bladder augmented, stoma placed and ureters fixed
September 2010 - Needed emergency hip surgery for Slipped Capital Femoral Epithysis
September 2010 - Started Dialysis without refusal (Big mistake)
Summer/Fall 2011 - "Inactivated" on the Inactive Transplant List
October 2012 - Activated on the transplant list
November 30th, 2012 - Surgeons threatening to not to a transplant based on weight
April 25th, 2013 - Lost 25 pounds (97kg), however developed highly resistant bladder bacteria, Inactivated from list until eradicated
May 15th, 2013 - Finally cleared of the bacteria, reactivating on list imminent.
May 24th, 2013 - Reactivated on the list!
June 8th, 2013 - Transplant!
June 19th, 2013 - Dialysis Catheter officially removed and returned home from the hospital!
June 21st, 2016 - Sleeve Gastrectomy
March 11th, 2019 - Revision to Gastric Bypass
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 10:20:57 PM »

New site for his cartoons.

http://petequaifefoundation.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/PeteQFoundation/the-lighter-side-of-dialysis-cartoons-by-pete-quai/

Quaife passed away in 2010.  His cartoons are linked on the site above.  Donations are accepted through his foundation now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:25:39 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »