I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:20:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can you sue for stupidity?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you sue for stupidity?  (Read 10900 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: April 24, 2006, 09:06:27 PM »

Tonight I came home from dialysis pissed off.  I know it was an accident and I know it is stupid to get worked up over it, but.....
I was sitting in my chair at dialysis, and a tech lost control of a chair pillow and hit me pretty hard on the head with it.  I did not hear the apology.  I hollered watch it, ow and be careful.  No personal apology.  When  another tech took me off I told him I was still pissed about it.  He just laughed at me and tried to jolly me along.  He should have gotten the other tech and said you need to apologize. Our patient is really upset.
     I told the shift nurse that I had not made up my mind whether to report it or not.  The tech then apologized to me saying I said I was sorry before.  Well okay.

But....
I bet she did not hit anyone else today.
I bet she would have apologized to anyone else but me. They all figure I can take it.
I can't move from the chair and and am stuck there.
Coming from the back means I did not see it coming.
I cannot get up and get away from a pillow coming at me.
Then when I told the tech who was taking me off I was upset about it, he just tried to jolly me out of it.  Ahhh come on ..It was an accident.

Well..duh...I know it was an accident, but my feelings were hurt anyway as well as my head. It is not like I can go anywhere when I am stuck there for four hours.
How about some simple old fashioned courtesy for the patients.
I usually figure what the hell and let it all go.  It boiled up tonight.
RESPECT! Simple courtesy and manners.

Katherine

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 09:26:51 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 10:36:42 PM »

OMG!  I would have been falling all over myself apologizing to you.  I would have asked if you were okay and then probably sat with you the whole time to make sure!  You should be upset.  What is with people these days!   :(

kevno

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »

Some people have no manners at all, I always hold doors open, let patients take my seat in the waiting room. Not even a thank you for it >:( As for apologizing, that is a lost art >:(

Just one question. What is a chair pillow, how heavy is it?

We could set off a tread of grumpy old renal patients! Of course I would be to young to post in it ;D But not a bad idea for you Rerun and kittatz  >:D

Kevno 8)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:51:29 PM »

Hey, who you calling old round here???? Them's fighin' words. 
Let me get my cane and beat you with it! LOL

Yep, I would be part of it.  At 43, see only 43, I am beginning to qualify as a grumpy old woman.  Although I see myself as my own patient advocate. Things should be done right. Why bother doing them, if you aren't going to do them right. Especially where my health and welfare is a concern!

So Rerun, you ready to get out your old lady beating sticks and take them on with me???

Katherine

P.S. A pillow is an arm pillow. Weighs around 2 to three pounds. Sits in the chair beside you, if you are skinny and gives your arm support. Alas me and the arm pillow do not fit butts together in the chair.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 07:48:27 PM »

I know what you mean.  Usually it's the patients at my clinic that are ridiculously rude.  Banging into my chair with their wheelchair without apologizing, blaring their TV's, smelling like old cigarettes...we've got them all at my clinic.

My favorite when they would seat me way in the back next to this really old gentleman who, upon being hooked up, would fall asleep and start snoring and farting...loudly.

And I thought Dialysis itself was unbearable...

Stacy Without an E
http://stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
susie q

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:49:01 AM »

That made me laugh Stacy.... I am next to a snorer and farter too...  Gaawwd... don't I suffer enough???   Lol    ;)
kevno

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 12:24:19 PM »

HELP :o Going to get attacked by another old timer >:D(kitkatz) The other day I gave a Nurse a Birthday Card, GOT a load of Hassle, just because it said Happy 40th, she is only 35.Did say that she looked older than that. OOPS! wrong thing to do >:D She said next time she puts a needle in me, She is going to fire it from the door. I said she would probably miss anyway. ;D

Kevno

fireguy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 05:41:15 PM »

No guy in his right mind gives a 35 year old nurse a card wishing her a happy 40th, especially if she needles you. All women want to hear that they look ten years younger.Its a mans job to smile make it sound true.keeps them happy and nothing more important than your nurse being happy.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 07:59:18 PM »

Hey Kitkatz..... Let's leave Kevno's leg alone and cut something else off!   >:D 

I am probably the snorer and farter and don't know it!!  Or maybe I just pretend I'm asleep!   ;D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

And then....Wednesday night....one nurse gave me my meds, did not chart it, so another nurse asks me if I have had my meds.  Well I had been asleep and could not remember getting meds. That is what I told her.  She gave me a second dose of meds.  Luckily it was only epogen and iron, so I did not die.  I asked that an incident report be written up and given to me on Friday.  I will also carry in an incident report of my own.

Geez.

Katherine
Still Bitchin"and Moaning in the BAck
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:12:11 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

kevno

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 08:29:54 AM »

OUCH!! Rerun did no know you were like that  :o  The nurses might have not found the card funny, but all the others did ;D

Can't help it! Have to get my own back some how >:D

Still here I think!

Kevno

Naggy6

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 11:36:49 AM »

And then....Wednesday night....one nurse gave me my meds, did not chart it, so another nurse asks me if I have had my meds.  Well I had been asleep and could not remember getting meds. That is what I told her.  She gave me a second dose of meds.  Luckily it was only epogen and iron, so I did not die.  I asked that an incident report be written up and given to me on Friday.  I will also carry in and incident report of my own.

Geez.

One night a nurse gave me epo while I was sleeping and my BP that was already sky high went even higher 230/160. When I woke up they told me they were very concerned about it. They wanted me to go to the ER after dialysis. I asked if they were so concerned then why didn't they wake me up and make sure I wasn't in a coma or some thing. God knows they wake you up for all kinds of other stupid things, why not that.

I made such a stink that they never give me any thing without checking with me first any more.

When ever my BP is high I don't let them give me epo because it makes it go way high. It's even written on my run sheet now DO NOT GIVE ANY MEDS WITH OUT CHECKING WITH PATIENT FIRST.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:20 PM »

I have asked nicely that they check with me before giving me anything. That way I know for sure what it is.  They do not do it, of course so I keep an eye on things anyway. I guess I will have to demand again!

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

Naggy6

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »

I have to say, I feel pretty lucky good about my center after hearing all the things people here have to put up with in there centers. I almost feel like I shouldn't be here at all.

Over all I guess it's like I often tell my kids, no matter how bad things seem to there is always some one worse off than you are.

It's been said many times that the squeeky wheel gets the oil so make a fuss, make them afraid not to do things your way.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
kevno

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »

I know this is over 18 months since this happened. Plus the person who did it has now retired.  I was given a sickness drug in my fistula instead of the local  >:( It itched like mad :o  I never let her anywhere near me with a needle again. I had lost all trust in her.

Then something at the time was not funny, but thinking about it. It is now.  We got some new blue chairs on the unit. I was at the front of the chair just looking at it. A nurse was seeing how the chair worked. She found how the leg rest worked OK. I was in front of the chair at the time. The leg rest came up at speed, smack right into both shins. I did shout Ouch! That hurt a little bit, are something like that >:D ::) Two matching bruises on each shin :'( :'(

Kevno

Rip1

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 01:40:54 PM »

I have to respond to this one. Over the years I have more than once:

Not received ANY of my blood back.
God knows how many times I have been infiltrated (I have a very large fistula.)
Have had the entire litre bag dumped through "accidentally."
Have not been given the initial bolus of heparin and clotted the filter and lines making it impossible to complete dialysis.
So many others I won't bore you.

The one time I filed a complaint, you would have thought I had charged the tech with murder, and the others were going to make me pay for it.

Just venting, rip1
kevno

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 04:34:23 AM »

Well this is the right place to have a rant.

Been back on dialysis now for over 18years, the things I have done to me are unbelievable. So many :o

I have wrote a few of them down somewhere on this site.

Kevno

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 04:40:52 PM »

Have not been given the initial bolus of heparin and clotted the filter and lines making it impossible to complete dialysis.
So many others I won't bore you.

The one time I filed a complaint, you would have thought I had charged the tech with murder, and the others were going to make me pay for it.

Just venting, rip1

That's what this site is all about Rant on!  :)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Panda_9

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 08:17:38 PM »

I think we, to a certain extent, need to accept that people do make mistakes. I have done a nursing degree and we are taught all the things we need to do to make sure we don't make mistakes, but it still happens. I have noticed when Ive been in hospital hardly anyone administers an s8 drug how you are supposed to. I know they are flat out for time, but if you make a mistake and someone is hurt, you are up sh*t creek.
I check anything and everything that comes near me, I always ask "what is that and what is it for". I used to be more of a wuss, but since doing my training I usually ask about things, unless I am out of it of course I cant.
Thats terrible about the mistake with the local, we get our local packed in with the dressing pack, and assuming it is packed right, you would hope there would be no mistakes. 
I think learning to do HD at home gives you a bit of relief. You at least know what is happening, and that you have checked everything yourself. I have made little mistakes, usually if I was rushing myself, or distracted. But if you take your time, double check everything, its much better. Over time I have developed a very set routine, I do it exactly the same every time. I even set up my dressing pack/syringes etc all in the same position each time. I probably sound like a fuss pot, but it makes it easier for me.
I strongly believe that renal patients should educate themselves as much as they can about the illness, and its treatment. Ask questions, read books etc. Enough so that you have an understanding of it.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 11:41:15 PM »

I agree with you Amber.   We need to be educated about our disease and know what we need to do to help ourselves keep well. I am the old eagle eye patient at dialysis.  I let the big shots know what I see and why I think it needs to be changed.  The techs know they need to do things right around me.  I will report them to the RN or even higher.  I want good care. I have told my husband if I ever become really disabled and cannot communicate to move me from this dialysis center to another one. I am not comfortable with the way the treat the people who cannot communicate.  It HAS gotten better over the last few months, thank goodness.

Katherine

lifenotonthelist.com

girlfriend

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 11:36:49 PM »

I realize this topic is over a month and a half old, (i got some catchin up to do i see) but I wanted to reply to the comments about knowing what is happening to you..
 I to feel that the patients should know as much about dialysis as they can.. I always asked and demanded answers. but the thing is.. what happens if you can't ask? your out of it? When i first started dialysis I had not idea what was happening.. but when your sick and cannot even get out of bed let alone read how are you gonna find out anything? but again that was way back when...we did not have the internet or self help books or manuals or instruction books to help us out.. it was in the early learning stage..
I was introduced to it by being shown a large room with two rows of bed.s. (about 20 to 25) it was hot and stuffy  in there, it smelled like well not blood but like a hospital (go figure) .. it was strange with tubes all over the place.. nurses running around with BIG needles and all i could see was red tubes and people laying on beds and looking sick... I nearly fainted.. and to top it all off... The nurse who was showing me all this horror, was over weight and it was an effort for her to even speak to tell me about it. taking deep breaths between sentences.  Making me more horrified in the process.. ok ok off topic here sorry.. lol
But once i got better i did find things out.. I actually demanded they tell me, as i have said before it was back when they would not even tell you your blood pressure numbers. needless to say I became very outspoken and did watch like a hawk.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff........
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »

Have not been given the initial bolus of heparin and clotted the filter and lines making it impossible to complete dialysis..

Hi--about clotting the filter....a few tines they cut short my time when I have less than a half hour to go on the machine.  But other times they redid the whole machine and put me back on again.  Now I always make sure the heparin is there.  But is it laziness (they don't want to re do the tubing and build the machine again) or is it harmful to me if I don't get the whole treatment?  The last time I had like 45 minutes left and the nurse told me she would return my blood and I can go home.  I told her I didn't mind staying but she said to go home.  It depends on the hurse who's on duty at the time

EDITED: Quote error FIXED - Rerun / Moderator

« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 06:53:02 AM by Rerun » Logged

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Panda_9

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »

If you only miss a few minutes of treatment then its no big deal. Missing half an hour or more as a one off could be dangerous, but it is different for everyone.  I suggest that if your treatment is cut short, that you be extra careful with your food intake until the next treatment. And remember, if you come off the machine with extra fluid on, you need to factor that into your allowance, as you will be trying to take that off next time. It is better to be safe than sorry. Also learn what the symptoms of high potassium are, so you can get immediate help if you are worried. If you are concerned, ask them to take post Dx bloods so at least you have some peace of mind. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 09:32:13 PM »

It has gotten better at our center since Renal Advantage Inc took over.  The chairs still suck, but the care is there now.  I feel the big wigs will listen to things and respond.  I am still thinking about changing centers.

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 02:53:23 AM »

Even though I am in a "self care" facility I feel as if I am on a "need to know" basis. When I was switched from my catheter to my fistula no one told me to put my heparin for 2 1/2 hrs instead of the whole 3 1/2 hrs! So I bled a lot! And last time the nurse didn't put in one of my numbers (I don't know what it is called but it is based off my dry weight and it changes if my goal (target weight) does. I am still learning). She said she would have caught it eventually but I am glad I pointed it out to her. I still don't understand what most of the numbers even mean and am amazed how much everyone knows when I am in a "Self Care" unit and should have learned more than I have in the year almost that I have been at this unit.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »