I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Amanda got the call.. The day before my wedding
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Amanda got the call.. The day before my wedding  (Read 77371 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2007, 05:36:53 AM »

I'm sorry I missed this thread (been in hospital most of this week, but that seems soooo insignificant as to not require mentioning).

Amanda, I admire your strength, particularly in standing up to demand those doctors should face you. That may not make you feel much better, but I really do admire you.

I can't add anything else that hasn't already been said, except to say that you will not leave my thoughts any time soon. Keep fighting hun.

(Rose, I hope your holiday goes as well as possible, look forward to your return).
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2007, 10:07:33 AM »

I got "the call" last night, but they told me that the person had Hep B as well as a history of high blood pressure.  I had been told to not accept a marginal donation at this time, as I am healthy otherwise, and do not need someone elses health problems.  Thanks to reading this thread, it made it easier to turn down.  At least I was warned, I am so sorry Amanda was not.  Pray she is doing better. 

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2007, 11:05:21 AM »

Oh, Amanda, I am so very sorry and I cannot imagine what you are feeling.  Thank you so much for posting and letting us know what is going on.  I hope "it" wakes up soon - at least if you get a well working kidney out of the deal it wouldn't be as horrible.

I would love to have seen the looks on the faces when that vase went flying.

Hang in there - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

BTW, give another thought to the one doc that had the integrity and guts to face you.   Is it possible that he may eventually become a good force in your life trying to make up for his mistake?  He ought to do everything in his power to make this work out in the best way possible.  Can he petition to get you moved to the top of the list and get a new kidney?  Could he get you the latest treatment for Hep C?  Maybe make him pay for the publishing of your book on dialysis and transplant and your miraculous recovery from this horrible mistake?

Please post when you can.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Jill D.

« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2007, 06:12:08 PM »

Amanda - this sucks in the hugest way possible. I think about you constantly, and you know how much we all love you.  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2007, 07:26:30 PM »

Amanda, so sorry my God it sounds so surreal but I know it is a real nightmare. My prayers are with you...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »

BTW, give another thought to the one doc that had the integrity and guts to face you.   Is it possible that he may eventually become a good force in your life trying to make up for his mistake?  He ought to do everything in his power to make this work out in the best way possible.  Can he petition to get you moved to the top of the list and get a new kidney?  Could he get you the latest treatment for Hep C?  Maybe make him pay for the publishing of your book on dialysis and transplant and your miraculous recovery from this horrible mistake?

Black has made some good points here, which hadn't occurred to me. When you feel up to it, Amanda, perhaps consider some of these things, or any other advantages this doctor may be able to bring.
MiSSis

« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2007, 07:41:34 PM »

My heart hurts for Amanda.  I had seen the post last week where she'd received the call but I hadn't had a chance to offer my congratulations.  Then I see today how all has gone to hell in a handbasket.  Reading through the various posts, I had a first thought maybe I'd get to offer encouragement because my 2nd transplant was also a "sleeper".  I too had to dialyze after receiving my transplant (which had been soooo discouraging at the time) but I was lucky and the doctors were able to give me some sort of medication that "jump-started" my transplant.  It came to life and I enjoyed 16 wonderful years before losing it to complications from parathyroid surgery in 2003.  But I was never faced with the monumental problems before Amanda today.  I can only offer my prayers and good wishes that all will come out well in the future.  Amanda,  you are a strong and lovely person with a wonderful support system of family and friends around you.  All are praying for the best for you and I hope you continue to have faith that all will work out for the best for you.  I will  continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2007, 10:54:03 PM »

I got "the call" last night, but they told me that the person had Hep B as well as a history of high blood pressure.  I had been told to not accept a marginal donation at this time, as I am healthy otherwise, and do not need someone elses health problems.  Thanks to reading this thread, it made it easier to turn down.  At least I was warned, I am so sorry Amanda was not.  Pray she is doing better. 

ARE THEY SERIOUS!!! Am I  just totally paranoid about this whole transplant deal.....is anyone else appalled at the type of kidney that would even be offered to someone? Is this, and the trash that was put into Amanda, what the medical community means by "expanded criteria"? Why on earth would you offer a marginal kidney to someone, whether thay are doing well on dialysis or not? If they're doing well, the reasons why not are obvious. If they're doing poorly, why would you compromise them further with a new disease process or a kidney that has has been damaged by HBP? How could benefit outweight risk in either case? Is this a money scam......surgery being performed with a less than optimum outcome likely. What the hell is happening?

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2007, 07:53:21 AM »

ARE THEY SERIOUS!!! Am I  just totally paranoid about this whole transplant deal.....is anyone else appalled at the type of kidney that would even be offered to someone? Is this, and the trash that was put into Amanda, what the medical community means by "expanded criteria"? Why on earth would you offer a marginal kidney to someone, whether they are doing well on dialysis or not? If they're doing well, the reasons why not are obvious. If they're doing poorly, why would you compromise them further with a new disease process or a kidney that has has been damaged by HBP? How could benefit outweight risk in either case? Is this a money scam......surgery being performed with a less than optimum outcome likely. What the hell is happening?

It's offered because there is people out there who are older (and/or have other health probs and could use any type of kidney for awhile.) and don't have many years left and a kidney like that would do them some good with the years they have left just so they could be off dialysis. These types of kidneys are not offered to people unless they are accepting the "extended criteria/protocol" type of kidneys....which in her case, since she is being offered them, that means she has signed a paper saying she is willing to accept offers for them..  not sure why she is even accepting offers of those types.. her transplant coordinator is responsible for turning those down when UNOS calls them, unless she has signed the paper saying she is accepting them. You have to sign a paper saying you will accept offers of them to be offered them.. so don't go blaming the medical community... there offered for people who could use them. :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »

A older friend at church accepted an extended protocol kidney 2 years ago. He was in his early 70's, already had a liver transplant and was more than happy to get any kind of kidney.  He has had a marvelous time since surgery. Went on an Alaskan cruise a few months ago and is just very happy to beable to enjoy life. He knew it wasn't a perfect kidney, but it gave him a new lease on life.  Everyone must make their own choice. No one can force one to take an extended protocol organ.  I want the best kidney I can get. Maybe when I have been on the list for 10 years or so, I may change my mind and take anything!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2007, 03:15:54 PM »

Everyone must make their own choice. No one can force one to take an extended protocol organ.  I want the best kidney I can get. Maybe when I have been on the list for 10 years or so, I may change my mind and take anything!

Very correct :) I was just saying, she must of signed a paper saying she would like to be offered them, otherwise they wouldn't of offered it..

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2007, 04:05:56 PM »

We don't sign any kind of papers here.   :ausflag;

So I now have my list of questions ready. Maybe that way I can make an informed choice.

The problem I have with Traci getting offered a Hep B kidney is;
1. She is only 40
2. Has three young children
3.Is doing well on dialysis.

So why would they put her in the position of even thinking of accepting a less than perfect transplant. It is hard enough waiting for that call to come ,I don't want them ringing me with the offer of a dodgy organ. The team should realise it is not a good choice for that patient.

:rant;   :boxing;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »

I agree, it was a wasted phone call to offer Traci the kidney, especially when time is so crucial when it comes to the cold ischemic period allowed. But I don't think there is any standard procedure, and it just depends on who is making the call. I guess maybe if it wasn't offered, and Traci HAD wanted it, the team may have let her down. Not sure it makes sense anyway. In Amandas case, the kidney was questionable, in my opinion, and should not have been offered to someone so young.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:37:05 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »

Angela, you are absolutely right.  He did have to sign ahead of time to agree to accept a less than perfect kidney.  I really thought all centers talked to their patients about this, but maybe only to older, less healthy patients.   With Amanda, it is so hard to understand how this has happened.  The system failed her. It shouldn't have happened. I think we are all still stunned and quite emotional about her situation.   We are all here for you Amanda and send you much love. :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »

I agree paris... I am so angry as to how this could of happened to Amanda... it seems like there were so interested in giving this kidney to her just because of the perfect match bs, they didn't take all the necessary steps in testing.  >:(

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »

I am stunned and angry too. Can't stop thinking about it.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2007, 11:38:28 PM »

We are all behind you Amanda with all the love and strength we can muster. You have been in my thoughts since I found out. I told my fave dialysis nurse about your sistuation and she was lost for words and angry as well. We are all angry. We all want "it" to get going BUT to keep it's nasty surprises to itself!!!

Sending many vibes up Sydney way.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
frankieb

Carpe Diem

« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2007, 01:18:24 AM »

I'm so sorry Amanda that all this has happened and I wish I
knew the words to say.  Will keep praying for you and family.

My sentiments exactly.

Amanda... Hang in there, we're all pulling for you and "IT" excuse my French but WAKE THE F*** UP already!!!!! Get to work!

oh, and I'm PRAYING(feel the earth shake?) that if you do have hep c that it will stay dormant.  I have had hep c for 22 years so if you need to know something let me know.      Sending virtual FEEL BETTER HUGS your way.   :grouphug;

FrankieB

ESRD DIAGNOSED 10/20/82                                                                                         
Dialysis- 12/20/83-5/18/91
Kidney transplant  5/18/91-7/18/07
Dialysis- 7/18/07- 9/24/07
Kidney transplant date 9/25/07 from my Hero, Donna
Thank You God for my SISTER,  Love you Don
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2007, 12:10:52 PM »

We don't sign any kind of papers here.   :ausflag;

So I now have my list of questions ready. Maybe that way I can make an informed choice.

The problem I have with Traci getting offered a Hep B kidney is;
1. She is only 40
2. Has three young children
3.Is doing well on dialysis.

So why would they put her in the position of even thinking of accepting a less than perfect transplant. It is hard enough waiting for that call to come ,I don't want them ringing me with the offer of a dodgy organ. The team should realise it is not a good choice for that patient.

:rant;   :boxing;

It is offered (at least in the USA) to ANYONE who is excepting them as offers... like I said.. you have to sign a paper saying you do not want to be considered for it... However, her doctor plays a role in this also... if he thinks she should not be getting anything but a very healthy kidney... he should communicate that to the transplant coordinator... however again... the doctor is the one who also says ok call this person and offer it.. so if he didn't want her to have it.. why didn't he stop them from calling to begin with?

So if they don't ask you to sign papers about it Wattle... I would communicate that to your doctor and your coordinator that your not even wanting to be offered extended protocol kidneys.... at least they will know...

paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

I just got back from my nephro's office. He talked to me about visiting a few of the local transplant centers (a whole 2) that do both kidney and pancreas. All that kept running through my head was Amanda and Traci's ordeals. I am now second guessing myself as to whether or not a transplant is a better option for me. I'm actually having nightmares!

Amanda--My prayers are still with you (and my dreams!).    :grouphug;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »

Sorry your having so many bad thoughts/dreams... why don't ya go read all the good outcome story's? Maybe it'll help :) :cuddle;

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »

However, her doctor plays a role in this also... if he thinks she should not be getting anything but a very healthy kidney... he should communicate that to the transplant coordinator... however again... the doctor is the one who also says ok call this person and offer it.. so if he didn't want her to have it.. why didn't he stop them from calling to begin with?

There should have been more consideration on the suitability of Amanda's donor. That goes without saying. The 6/6 match became the focus.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »

Amanda's situation isn't even close to this one... her kidney that was offered wasn't even considered extended protocol... even though it should of been... and your right, the focus was on the fact of the perfect match... and that's where they f'd up... they did not follow procedures it sounds like to me... and should be sued.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »

I just got back from my nephro's office. He talked to me about visiting a few of the local transplant centers (a whole 2) that do both kidney and pancreas. All that kept running through my head was Amanda and Traci's ordeals. I am now second guessing myself as to whether or not a transplant is a better option for me. I'm actually having nightmares!

Amanda--My prayers are still with you (and my dreams!). :grouphug;
Please don't let this scare you. I let horror stories scare me too. The only people I knew before my transplant were on their 2nd transplants. But even they were positive and encouraging. There are new advances all the time. Visit the centers. Ask tons of questions. If you get called and it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Visit both centers get listed for both. Ask to talk with patients that are willing to share their stories. At times I felt like I was being pushed by everyone to do it. One doctor really pressured me. I felt like he was selling me a car. The time table he gave me was shorter and shorter each time I went. But now I know he had my best interest at heart. He's not there anymore, but I owe him a big thank you. After you visit the centers, make your decision.  :cuddle;

Love ya Amanda. Hang in there! :grouphug;
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:57 PM »

Praying for you Amanda!

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »