I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can't hear fistula
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't hear fistula  (Read 15235 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 09:18:34 PM »

I went to the hospital and they send me to radiology.  That is the first bad sign.  Radiology is where they split my vein and had a hard time getting my last catheter in.  The next bad sign is when I saw the guy who was going to perform this "routine" little activity.  YES!  It was the same guy that split my vein.  He remembered me!  So, at least he didn't take what I had to say for granted when I said my veins are crap and very delicate.  He inserted a wire at both ends and got some clots out but could not get though the connection of the Atery and Vein.  So they sent me upstairs to room 312 to wait until my vascular surgeon could surgically revise my fistula.  He was a little shocked when I said "no catheter".  Either this one will work or it won't period!  I wouldn't mind if this fistula had lasted a few years, but 8 months does not impress me. 

I got back to my room about 9PM last night and got released today.  My dialysis at 2:30 went pretty rough.  The fistula worked fine, but the toxin build up was hard coming off.  My skin itches really bad and I'm so tired.

Thanks for all your prayers.

What I learned:  a clotted fistula doesn't have to be fixed the same day (so they told me).  DO NOT wear even the slightest snug shirts around your fistula or graft.  Even if it doesn't look too tight it will be or can be when you bend your arm.

My arm is pretty sore and I have no idea when to take the bandage off.  I'll call on Monday.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:28:09 AM by Rerun » Logged

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 09:20:56 PM »

So glad your home and they got it working hang in there Rerun :2thumbsup;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 09:26:58 PM »

:grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 09:30:57 PM »

Hi Rerun, i am glad they were able to get it working again and i hope your feeling better soon.  When i read that it was the same surgeon that split your vein i thought to myself, uh oh, Rerun isnt going to let this guy touch her,  glad to see that you did.   :2thumbsup;    Am i getting this right?  The access i have in my upper arm (dont know if its a graft or a fistula) :P   But i have not felt the thrill for months now, do you think it would be possible for them to go in and try and unclog this one or do you think i will be having to get a new one?  :banghead;   I have always been curious about that and when i asked my neph, all he said was that we didnt need to worry about that at this time  :-\    I hope your able to get a good nights rest, glad you are home.  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 10:40:33 PM »

Well, Goofy if they could fix it right now I wouldn't do it.  You are on PD so just wait until you have to cross that bridge.  Why fix it now if you are not going to use it.  Now, if they ever tell you that your PD doesn't seem to be working then you need to look at this arm as a possible back-up.  I hope that never happens.  I hope you are on PD until they find a wearable kidney! 

:cuddle;

It did cross my mind that I need to get through this so I can meet all of you in Las Vegas!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:30:25 AM by Rerun » Logged

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 11:47:08 PM »

Good news Rerun, I hope it keeps working and the soreness is gone soon!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 12:27:20 AM »

:cuddle;  Hang in there Rerun. I hope you are feeling better soon.

How can they call it a "little routine activity". grrrrrrrr   :boxing; 

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 06:25:23 AM »

:) Stay with us Rerun you got a ride coming when we get to Vegas. Glad you had the fix done.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »

Whew!  That's a relief knowing you're back home.  Glad it was not any worse than it was.  I would LOVE to have see that look  :o when you said "No catheter."  ;D

I know you must be just wiped out and it will take a few days for the toxin build-up to get back down to a bearable level.  Hope they can do something for the itch in the meantime.  Get some rest and keep us posted.  :grouphug;

And thanks for the tip about the sleeves.  Mike is a big guy and some of his shirts, which he used to wear, may no longer be big enough in the sleeve.  With cold weather ahead I'm going to insist that he get out his winter shirts and try them all on.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »

Yeah Black make sure they are loose. 

Today our court is having a Hawaiian Luau and I have this beautiful dress form Cancun but it has an elastic front that goes under my arms.  I gave it to the 15 year old neighbor girl to wear.  She looks beautiful in it and at least I get to see it even if I can't wear it.  I have on a MAN's big Hawaiian shirt.  The Big Kahuna!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »

Glad you are home and hope each day you feel better.  Also hope the Luau is alot of fun--you deserve to relax and have fun.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »

Men's hawaiian shirts are the best things to wear on the arm. They are made to cover and yet be loose on the arms. I buy mine at the local thrift store that way when they wear out they were cheap to begin with!

I am sooo glad you are home. I was beginning to think a Northern California run was in order!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kelliOR

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »

hi Rerun,

Happy to hear you are doing well  :).  AND that you've still got your humor,    you Big Kahuna.............!

Hugs, Kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »

Dialysis went okay today.  I got a chance to BLAST my Nephrologist for not calling me back or checking on me.  Probably wasn't all her fault, but I get so mad when this stuff happens to me that sooner or later I take it out on someone.  Anyone heard from Kevino lately? 

poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »

Ugh, what a nightmare! Glad to hear youre feeling better. Good for you - speak up and speak your mind to your neph - it keeps them in check!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »

Dialysis went okay today.  I got a chance to BLAST my Nephrologist for not calling me back or checking on me.  Probably wasn't all her fault, but I get so mad when this stuff happens to me that sooner or later I take it out on someone.  Anyone heard from Kevino lately? 

I am glad you are getting back on track Rerun. And good for you giving your Neph a  :boxing; . She should have checked up on you.

I hope you had fun at the Luau!   ;D   :bandance;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »

My unsolicited advice on a clotted dialysis access.......

Call your surgeon's office immediately, tell them your access is clotted and you need to be scheduled to have it fixed. Don't take "no" or lack of a call back for an answer. Call again if they haven't returned your call within a couple of hours.
The only reason to call your dialysis unit is if it looks like you'll need to reschedule your treatment. There will only be a delay if you try to let them handle the access fix for you.
The sooner a clotted access is fixed, the better.....aside from the obvious reason to have it fixed sooner rather than later........can anyone say toxin/potassium overload?

I have found that no one is going to handle your situation better than you. The more insistent you are, the better results you will get. If your surgeon is not handling your access issues in the way that you feel they should be handled, find a new surgeon. If you have friends in the medical field, ask who they've heard about, ask the nurses or techs at your unit whose work have they seen as successful. A lot of times, the doctors refer each other based not on skill or expertise but on personal business relationships which may or may not be the best for YOU. You don't HAVE to use the one they recommend.

Clot prevention:
Be aware of how you sleep and try to alter your sleep position so that arm is not slept on or bent......sounds hard, but I've done it.
Don't let your blood pressure or pulse get too low....monitor your BP.

Taping after dialysis:
DON'T LET ANYONE WRAP TAPE ALL THE WAY AROUND YOUR ARM.
Don't use the clamps.
If you must be taped tightly to prevent bleeding after you leave, wait an hour and then modify or change the dressing so that it is not tight on your arm before you go to bed.

Sometimes, despite all your best efforts, your access will clot due to narrowing in the vessels above the graft/fistula.

I'm sure someone else has posted all this stuff somewhere else; I just didn't have time to look for it.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »

Great advice, mrhecht.   :thx;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:32 AM »

I was in class all day and so I didn't notice until I got home but I can't feel or hear my fistula.  It is placed in my upper left arm and I feel a slight pluse down on the inside of my elbow where it is connected.  I called Davita and they said it can wait until tomorrow to be looked at.  I called my surgeon and am waiting for a call back.  The thing is if I go to ER I'll wait 5 or 6 hours and just see the idiots from hell. 

What should I do??
Here is an oldie that supplied information, regards what action needs to takes place 'if one looses the fistula sound(thrill?).

Had often wondered about that fistula sound, and what to do if one does not hear it.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:56 AM »

I was in class all day and so I didn't notice until I got home but I can't feel or hear my fistula.  It is placed in my upper left arm and I feel a slight pluse down on the inside of my elbow where it is connected.  I called Davita and they said it can wait until tomorrow to be looked at.  I called my surgeon and am waiting for a call back.  The thing is if I go to ER I'll wait 5 or 6 hours and just see the idiots from hell. 

What should I do??
Here is an oldie that supplied information, regards what action needs to takes place 'if one looses the fistula sound(thrill?).

Had often wondered about that fistula sound, and what to do if one does not hear it.

On Wednesday they could not feel/hear someone's fistula in my center.  They made a early AM vascular center appointment the next day for the person and said they could not do dialysis on the person and sent them home.  Our vascular center is owned/operated by the nephrologist group so that probably helps them get highly responsive scheduling. 

On a side note I don't think that my nephrologist group operates the center makes the center do unnecessary work, I went in this month because my KT/v is poor and he listened to my fistula and ran the dye and sent me home saying it was fine.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »

What should I do??

On Wednesday they could not feel/hear someone's fistula in my center.  They made a early AM vascular center appointment the next day for the person and said they could not do dialysis on the person and sent them home.  Our vascular center is owned/operated by the nephrologist group so that probably helps them get highly responsive scheduling. 

On a side note I don't think that my nephrologist group operates the center makes the center do unnecessary work, I went in this month because my KT/v is poor and he listened to my fistula and ran the dye and sent me home saying it was fine.

iolaire, was there any reaction from the dye used? My understanding is that the contrast dye's used, are very hard on those with kidney problems!
This is supposedly due to requiring ones kidneys to rapidly excrete/urinate the dye as soon as the bodies willingness to do so, does it.
How hard on the body is it if that urinating process does not happen? Will have to recheck with my Neph.

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 08:54:31 AM »

iolaire, was there any reaction from the dye used? My understanding is that the contrast dye's used, are very hard on those with kidney problems!
This is supposedly due to requiring ones kidneys to rapidly excrete/urinate the dye as soon as the bodies willingness to do so, does it.
How hard on the body is it if that urinating process does not happen? Will have to recheck with my Neph.
They always say they only use a very small amount so it doesn't affect the kidneys, being nephrologists they are sensitive to it. But when they do the angioplasty, my arm absorbs the dye and it looks very bad for a week or so, looking all bruised.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »

The term is contrast induced nephropathy, and there is a nice risk calculator at: http://www.renalguard.com/educational/contrast-induced-nephropathy-risk-calculator
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »