I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anymore Brits out there on Dialysis?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anymore Brits out there on Dialysis?  (Read 170739 times)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« on: August 24, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »

Dear All from the USA, Canada and Oz on IHD.

Please don't be offended by this cause I love ya'all :grouphug; but Iv'e noticed recently that there's only me and Kickstart from the UK who post regularly anymore.

I know there are a few more who no longer post but there must be other UK people who watch the site but have never introduced themselves. I say to those people, please introduce yourselves lets hear from you. We all have dialysis in common no matter what our nationality happens to be.

It would also be nice for me for example to discuss things  off topic which concerns whats happening in Britain paticularly English Soccer. Whenever I post about a British topic other than dialysis I don't get much of a response (except from you Goofinina, God bless you you're a Gem) and I don't expect one just as I am unable to respond to American football and baseball because I know very little about those sports. So come on all you Brits on Dialysis take the plunge, we don't bite, you'll be most welcome. I'd like it even better if any of you are Manchester United supporters...boooo........ hissssssss then we can have a right 'ole ding dong.  :ukflag;
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:09:41 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
muddled

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 01:31:02 PM »

Another brit here :) i read daily but dont post  ;)
LightLizard

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

here's a site that is based in Great Britain and has many Brits, as well as other nationalities. nice folk, too.
http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/newBB/index.php

love

~LL~
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

:clap;  Good for you Muddled, thank you for stepping up  :2thumbsup;  I hope to see more posts from you, would love to get to know more about you  :popcorn;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »

:thumbup; C'mon Muddled talk to us. Do you like football by any chance?

Ken
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »

here's a site that is based in Great Britain and has many Brits, as well as other nationalities. nice folk, too.
http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/newBB/index.php

love

~LL~

:thumbup; Thanks Lightlizard I'll try that.

Ken
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 05:56:34 AM »

City ..City..City   :rofl;  Sorry just joking i HATE  footy !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »

I have spent about one fourth of my life living in the U.S., one fourth in Canada, one fourth in Germany, and one fourth in Britain, so I am not sure what nationality I am.  Perhaps you could grant my the title of honorary Brit, although I carry an American passport just because customs officials at the U.S. border are the most fascist in the world and it helps if you at least have their passport.  I was living in Britain when I started dialysis, and of the four countries in which I have experience of dialysis, I can say that it was by far the worst in Britain.

I was at the Hammersmith Hospital dialysis center, where we had one television bolted to the ceiling for 20 dialysis stations, and although the sound was constantly blaring, no one was watching it, because it was impossible to change the channel.  The staff made us wait from 20 to 40 minutes in the waiting room before calling us in for treatment.  The machines were so old that I was always severely nauseated after each dialysis session, which never happened in any other country because of the more sophisticated machines used.  Also, while in North America dialysis is scheduled around the clock for the convenience of patients who work, at the Hammersmith the last dialysis was scheduled to begin within normal working hours, destroying the capacity of the patients for work and rehabilitation just for the conveninece of the staff who did not want to work late.
muddled

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »

only ever watch the world cup ;D
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »

I have spent about one fourth of my life living in the U.S., one fourth in Canada, one fourth in Germany, and one fourth in Britain, so I am not sure what nationality I am.  Perhaps you could grant my the title of honorary Brit, although I carry an American passport just because customs officials at the U.S. border are the most fascist in the world and it helps if you at least have their passport.  I was living in Britain when I started dialysis, and of the four countries in which I have experience of dialysis, I can say that it was by far the worst in Britain.

I was at the Hammersmith Hospital dialysis center, where we had one television bolted to the ceiling for 20 dialysis stations, and although the sound was constantly blaring, no one was watching it, because it was impossible to change the channel.  The staff made us wait from 20 to 40 minutes in the waiting room before calling us in for treatment.  The machines were so old that I was always severely nauseated after each dialysis session, which never happened in any other country because of the more sophisticated machines used.  Also, while in North America dialysis is scheduled around the clock for the convenience of patients who work, at the Hammersmith the last dialysis was scheduled to begin within normal working hours, destroying the capacity of the patients for work and rehabilitation just for the conveninece of the staff who did not want to work late.
Hi Stauffenberg, I've given this much thought and even  consulted the Home Office and I am pleased to announce that form today you are an Honorary Citizen of The United Kindom!

ARISE MR STAUFFENBURG! :clap; ;)

Sorry to hear about your dialysis problems at Hammersmith. How long ago was that because in the last few years most parts of the NHS has improved beyond recognition?

My clinic is at Manchester Royal Infirmary and I do PD so I've no experience of in-center haemo or otherwise but I have met a few people who do and they say the haemo dialysis facilities at the three Manchester Hospitals are excellent. As far as my experience goes, the support and care I've had from pre-dialysis to post has been fantastic. I've never experienced any of the kind of bossy and insensitive nurses that you read about on this site at any  time.

There is also a Patients' Charter now in British Hospitals which has to be upheld at all times. Not everything though is perfect with the NHS and I am aware that  certain hospitals are still below standard in patient care and it sounds like Hammersmith may be one of them.   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:12:06 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:17 AM »

City ..City..City   :rofl;  Sorry just joking i HATE  footy !

:(Shame, not everyone loves the Beautiful Game. ;)

Ken
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »

only ever watch the world cup ;D

Yo Muddled
Well we've got Sven now as manager. The very same Sven who ballsed up the England Team in the last world cup. I'm just hoping and praying that he does a better job with City. He's made I good start I'll give him that.

Ken
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 03:39:04 PM »

Thanks Ken for the honorary status.  I wonder if I can get an O.B.E. and a 'Sir' in front of my name as well?

I was last on regular dialysis in England in 1997, though I was briefly treated there during a visit in 1998.  I understand that many public services are better now that they have introduced the Patients' Charter.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 03:51:53 AM »

Ken, does the British Virgin Islands count in your Brit roll call?   Also I was born in Barbados which is said to be 'more British than Britain'.  How's that?
Am I in?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 04:33:01 AM »

Ken, does the British Virgin Islands count in your Brit roll call?   Also I was born in Barbados which is said to be 'more British than Britain'.  How's that?
Am I in?

Yes Bajanne the British Virgin Islands are part of the British Commonwealth so I can say even without checking with the Home Office that YES you're in.

ARISE COUNTESS BAJANNE :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

I've just read another of your posts saying you don't feel too good. I do hope you soon start to feel better. You've been in the wars just recently with your problems getting a job. It seems so unfair the way they treated you in your last job. Try and be positive. Hope the new title I've bestowed on you cheers you up a bit. ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:59:14 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »

Can I have an honorary title?? My kids play soccer and one is a ref.  :2thumbsup;
Isn't that similiar???
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »

:lol;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 06:24:39 PM »

I have been to London several times----that doesn't count does it?  Near Victoria Station, is a walk up fish and chips place called Flames with the best chips I have ever had--hot chips in a newspaper cone with vinegar---yummy! An afternoon in Covent Garden searching for a bargain or a treasure and then going to a theater that was built 2 or 3 hundred years ago--what a perfect day!  My favorite show we saw about 3 or 4 years ago was "Beautiful Game" an Andrew Lloyd Weber play that never made it to the U.S.  Heart wrenching story!   And I quickly learned to love breakfast-eggs, a type of ham and BAKED BEANS!  It was good and started our days off full of protein!  I am rambling--sorry!       :usaflag; :ukflag; :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 06:03:27 AM »

Thanks Ken for the honorary status.  I wonder if I can get an O.B.E. and a 'Sir' in front of my name as well?

I was last on regular dialysis in England in 1997, though I was briefly treated there during a visit in 1998.  I understand that many public services are better now that they have introduced the Patients' Charter.

Mmmm...... Can't go handing out titles willy nilly you know. Well all right then but I'll have to consult Her Majesty The Queen .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................After much dicussion with Her Majesty in which I informed her of your honourary British Status and your sterling posts as a member of IHD I can now bestow on you a Knighthood of the realm. So.........

ARISE SIR STAUFFENBURG OF HAMMERSMITH! :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

May I remind you that as a Knight of the Realm you must from this day behave with the utmost dignity and a stiff upper lip as befits a man of your status. :ukflag;

Ken
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 07:46:48 AM »

Can I have an honorary title?? My kids play soccer and one is a ref.  :2thumbsup;
Isn't that similiar???

Hi Romona
Ask your kids to explain to you the soccer off-side rule. There's a joke in the UK and I know it's a bit sexist but it says that women can't understand the off-side rule. If you understand it when your kids explain it to you then I'll bestow a title on you. You'll be unique!

Ken
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »

I have been to London several times----that doesn't count does it?  Near Victoria Station, is a walk up fish and chips place called Flames with the best chips I have ever had--hot chips in a newspaper cone with vinegar---yummy! An afternoon in Covent Garden searching for a bargain or a treasure and then going to a theater that was built 2 or 3 hundred years ago--what a perfect day!  My favorite show we saw about 3 or 4 years ago was "Beautiful Game" an Andrew Lloyd Weber play that never made it to the U.S.  Heart wrenching story!   And I quickly learned to love breakfast-eggs, a type of ham and BAKED BEANS!  It was good and started our days off full of protein!  I am rambling--sorry!       :usaflag; :ukflag; :2thumbsup;

Oh....alright then.

ARISE DAME PARIS OF NEAR VICTORIA STATION! :yahoo; :yahoo;

The type of ham you mentioned is probably British bacon. It's leaner than I've had in the US and other countries and it looks like small slices of ham which in fact I suppose it is. Glad you liked our fish and chips. The best fish from fish and chip shops can be found in the north of England. They bone the fish perfectly whereas in the south you tend to get bones in them. Never seen the play you mentioned but I will if it comes to Manchester.

Ken
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »

Ken, you are so much fun!  I was destined for royalty---I dated a guy named "King" and then married a "Barron" and my name is Elizabeth --- so why am I living a commoners life?    "Beautiful Game" was, of course about soccer.   You have a wonderful country and I hope to come back one day.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »

*ahem* Ken?  ::)  I eat English Muffins, can i have a royal title tooooo?  :bow;  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »

If Goofynina gets an English title I want one, too. :lol;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 02:53:47 PM »

Does a "Royal Pain" count  :rofl;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Go Up Print 
« previous next »