I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:19:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Are there any grants or financial help on top of SSI???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are there any grants or financial help on top of SSI???  (Read 3151 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: August 23, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »

I get 790 a month. I just wanted to know if there are any programs  or loans or grants for someone on dialysis.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »

you may qualify for vocational rehab through social security- there is also a program that pays for almost 98% of medications of your income is low enough- maybe foodstamps for a few dollars too.... its rough- I see so many people (including my family) who have been finacally ruined by this disase.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:46:08 PM »

if you haven't already applied, apply for extra help, it will cover your medicare part b premiums, part d premiums, most of your rx co-pays. my meds are 1,074 per month, i pay 15 for about 4 months then they are free. the social security or Medicaid website will send you in the right direction. the kidney foundation will give you $100 for groceries, not a lot but every bit helps. i think it's every 6 month. center social worker will know and can get it for you. each state is different on food stamps and you should qualify. my daughter doesn't pay anything for hers. check with your state or county human services office to see what else you might qualify for. each state has centered boards that work with the disabled, they may have something.

your medicaid will pay for transportation to and from non-emergency medical appointments, ask center social worker about it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:10:29 PM by thegrammalady » Logged

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »

I get 790 a month. I just wanted to know if there are any programs  or loans or grants for someone on dialysis.

There has been some discussion among our members here about setting up a fund to help our members pay for certain hardship expenses like transportation to a transplant evaluation or other health related costs that might not otherwise be met.

Right now there is nothing definite happening but there are some discussions underway about how we might do this.
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 05:31:10 AM »

My family and friends have been doing fund raisers to help with my medical costs.  Bake sales are great... I have had 3 and raised $583, $763, $1112.  I am saving it all up at this point... we are also having a dinner in November.  Maybe you have someone who could help you in this way.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »

I think there are programs for traveling expenses. Contact your local office of the National Kidney Foundation. You can find the one closest you on thier website.  :)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:09:18 AM »

You can also apply for help from local organizations.  Lions Club, K of C, Rotary, etc., will often agree to dedicate their latest fund raiser dinner to someone with severe medical problems.  Lions Club has an sub-group dedicated to helping diabetics.  Before my disability checks started coming, the local Lions Club helped me by donating several boxes of blood testers and other diabetic supplies.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »

I take it Ft. Myers is Florida... check this link, hope it helps. http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/ess/services.shtml

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »

you may qualify for vocational rehab through social security- there is also a program that pays for almost 98% of medications of your income is low enough- maybe foodstamps for a few dollars too.... its rough- I see so many people (including my family) who have been finacally ruined by this disase.

Oh! I don't want to hear that! I just got out of financial ruin due to medical expenses by declaring bankruptcy. Now that I'm married, I don't want to ruin my husbands impeccable credit!!!   :'(

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 01:21:06 PM »

Thanks for your posts... they have been helpful
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »