I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone else just freakin' tired all the time?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else just freakin' tired all the time?  (Read 44415 times)
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »

I know this is selfish, but oh well ..... I am sick and tired of being on the list and never getting THE call.  I am sick and tired of having potential donaors not match.  Oik there... :rant;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Bryce

Me running on 8th April 2008 (life goes on)

« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »

Yes I feel tired all the time (sleepy tired that is), no matter how much I sleep and usually get between 6 to 8 hours a night and I usually sleep more at the weekends. It might sound daft but the only time I don't feel sleepy tired is when I'm doing my running training, although I would be lying if said it didn't make me phisically tired, but for me all the effort is worth it and keeps feeling alive, I've always loved running and will take more than organ failure to stop me doing it, even though I'm a good bit slower at the moment. Probably sounds like I'm a bit mad, but it stops me from feeling sorry for myself.
Gramapat

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2008, 11:45:59 AM »

The first few months after I started dialysis, I felt a lot better.  I noticed I had more energy.  I've been on dialysis for over 5 months now and I am back to being tired.  :'(  When I get home from dialysis I am soooooooo tired!  For most of the next day I am still tired and then usually around 5 or so I get a little energy.  The next day I am usually "Okay".  Not full of energy but not bone tired either.

So - Sometimes I end up missing dialysis because I have abdominal problems.  I try to make it up if I feel okay the next day.  One time I ended up having dialysis 2 days in a row.  The next day, I felt so good!  I was able to do more in that one day than I have been able to do for ages.  I thought it was just a fluke but now after reading more, I am thinking it was probably because I had the 2 days in a row of dailysis cleaning the toxins out of me.  If that's the case, I may ask about home hemo even though the thought of the needles scares the beejeebers out of me!  :o
Russ

« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »

By no means am I turning cart wheels but my energy is much better on daily home hemo versus in-center 3x /week.  After 3 years of being out of work, I recently started working part time from home. I don't feel like getting out of the house much but at least I'm not sleeping all day any more.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »

Tired of tired of being tired!  I have notice that on the check sheet the social worker gives me to fill out on my life on dialysis, I am no longer on the far right of the answers. That meant everything was hunky dory great.  Now I fall in the middle of the grid with my answers.  I talked long with the dietician today and she says she is going to find a doc that will hear my complaint and get my BP meds changed.  I am now not taking them at all MWF so I walk around all day with a BP headache three days a week. Sucks rocks! 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2008, 07:03:39 AM »

I hear ya KK - sometimes I wonder if part of the feeling bad is just being a victim of the MD getting the right mix of meds to control effects of dialysis.  I do agree with Russ too, I feel much better doing dialysis at home than only the three times a week in center.  Hands down.  And the fear of needles is easily overcome once you actually do it.  I felt so empowered by learning all that you do in the classes and then doing it on my own.  I haven't met anyone who has done (Nxstage) it say they wanted to go back.  If so, maybe they will chime in here. 

11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »

Then let me be the first person you've heard of you did home hemodialysis and gave it up!  I did not have a NxStage machine, since they were not available in Canada, but I did have an ordinary model, but I found having to perform my own treatment too burdensome and stressful for the advantages gained.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2008, 06:19:40 PM »

Lately, I've been tired so often, that I sleep a good 11 hours a day, yet still feel tired. Well, all weekend I've been working every waking hour on a website I'm doing for a client. By 6:00 this evening, I still had not done 3 designs I needed to do for an ad for class, that's due tomorrow. I made the mistake of mentioning to my husband that I can't fall back to sleep after he leaves in the morning because I have to get my homework done. He then tells me that there are ways to stay awake and I should work on them so I don't sleep so much and get more work done! WTF?!! Excuse me? I got angry and told him that I should find ways to have normal functioning kidneys! He didn't appreciate that comment. But then again, I didn't appreciate his.  :Kit n Stik;  :banghead; :banghead;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »

Lately, I've been tired so often, that I sleep a good 11 hours a day, yet still feel tired. Well, all weekend I've been working every waking hour on a website I'm doing for a client. By 6:00 this evening, I still had not done 3 designs I needed to do for an ad for class, that's due tomorrow. I made the mistake of mentioning to my husband that I can't fall back to sleep after he leaves in the morning because I have to get my homework done. He then tells me that there are ways to stay awake and I should work on them so I don't sleep so much and get more work done! WTF?!! Excuse me? I got angry and told him that I should find ways to have normal functioning kidneys! He didn't appreciate that comment. But then again, I didn't appreciate his.  :Kit n Stik;  :banghead; :banghead;

I think he needs a reality check!  :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Russ

« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2008, 05:11:51 AM »

Then let me be the first person you've heard of you did home hemodialysis and gave it up!  I did not have a NxStage machine, since they were not available in Canada, but I did have an ordinary model, but I found having to perform my own treatment too burdensome and stressful for the advantages gained.

I couldn't do home hemo without my wife's help.  She is a saint. :bow;
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2008, 02:36:59 AM »

so sorry Paddlebear
my husband said he never let sickness get him down------ what, the flu?
I am so tired of being tired, even sleeping does not help.
sometimes I am in bed not asleep and not awake either, like in between
I am going to have that parathyroid operation soon and am worried because when I'm gone by cat, Slugger, disappears.
So, I think I will board her at the vet's. She only weights about 9 lbs, she is about 14 years old. That's another argument.
I know how tired you feel and it sucks.
I would love to get up and feel full of energy........ain't going to happen today...
It is 4:30 am and I need to get ready for by MWF "beauty treatments".
I DO NOT WANT TO GO....sorry about the out cry...... :'(
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2008, 05:37:23 AM »

Ah stauffenberg I remember you saying you did not like it.  However, I still think the majority would rule in this situation.  Home hemo wins over clinic.

11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »

It seems there is more and more evidence that daily dialysis makes people feel better.
I wonder how long it will take before it is routine.  ???
Or maybe something better is coming - something that hasn't even been discovered yet.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2008, 07:22:24 AM »

I hear ya KK - sometimes I wonder if part of the feeling bad is just being a victim of the MD getting the right mix of meds to control effects of dialysis. I do agree with Russ too, I feel much better doing dialysis at home than only the three times a week in center. Hands down. And the fear of needles is easily overcome once you actually do it. I felt so empowered by learning all that you do in the classes and then doing it on my own. I haven't met anyone who has done (Nxstage) it say they wanted to go back. If so, maybe they will chime in here.

Marvin has been doing home hemo for 14 months (NxStage) -- before that he was on in-center hemo (12 1/2 years).  We both would fight tooth and nail to stay on home hemo as opposed to going back in-center.  With all of the time, space, effort, and responsibility that is needed for home hemo, we have found that -- FOR US --  there is no comparison for the "better" health he has on home hemo (6 x week).  Additionally, his "tiredness" greatly, greatly diminished once he started home hemo.  He's a busy, active, on-the-go man, and sometimes I have trouble keeping up with him (and I'm the "healthy" one!!).
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2008, 12:36:16 AM »

When you're chronically ill, you may be having difficulty sleeping not from the illness, but from depression and obsessing over your illness.  If you're like me, you lie awake in bed thinking about it and thinking about it and thinking about it.

At one point, my physician prescribed a medication called Seroquel (quetiapine).  In small doses, that med is real magic:  Cures depression.  Cures obsessions.  And oh yes, if you take it at bedtime, it works like a sleeping pill too.  In a few months, you'll actually stop obsessing over the problems in your life.

It also treats post-traumatic stress disorder, restless legs syndrome, autism, alcoholism, schizophrenia, etc.  Good for what ails ya.
TeenHatesDialysis

« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2009, 11:50:40 PM »

:thx;  This thread really put things in perspective for me.  My 14 year old (dialysis 14 months) has been having sleep problems for the past several years.  I took her to a sleep study, a sleep doctor, nothing worked.  The sleep doctor said, "do not let her sleep during dialysis"....poor baby, that was killing her.  I would do whatever I could to keep her awake during dialysis and then she would just fall asleep in the car on the hour drive home. We would get home at 7:30pm and she would continue to sleep until 10pm and then up until 3am (UGH!).  I changed her school schedule so she doesn't have to be there until 9am, which is much easier than the 7:15am we were shooting for previously.  I know that the dialysis wipes her out 3 times per week so it is very difficult to have a "normal" schedule.  I think that it would be perfect if Jaclyn could do dialysis from 7pm-11pm then she would be exhausted and sleep through the night.  She can't do PD, because no one tosses and turns more than she does during the night. Does anyone know if your sleep schedule usually  returns to normal after a kidney transplant???  :thx; Any input is greatly appreciated.

Susan, mom of Jaclyn, Deziree and Valerie

www.cotaforjaclynp.com
Jaclyn and Deziree diagnosed CKD 2/07; NPHP (type 1) 9/07
Jaclyn started dialysis 1/2/08
Successful Transplant 7/4/2009 at Lucile Packard Childrens Hospital @ Stanford, Palo Alto, CA
Deziree in denial
Jaclyn listed 5/08
Deziree listed 1/09 ("Inactive")
Jaclyn Cadaver kidney transplant 7/4/09 (Independence from dialysis day!)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2009, 04:11:16 AM »

My husband had a huge problem with insomnia for about 5-6 months after his transplant. He is now 9 months with the new kidney and sleeps just fine.  I wonder if it is associated with the prendnisone.  He has been tapering off and is now down to 7.5 mg/day. Insomnia seems to be a fairly common problem judging by the comments of others here at IHD (lots of night birds).  I also have the impression that the transplant centers write a lot of scrips for Ambien.   

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »

I am so tired --- I feel like it is my attitude --- my neph doc -- says it is my kidneys
I look forward to going to bed ---- unfortunately - to sleep
I know this is not for children to read but when my husband wants to do it --- the pay off is --- ok, tonight - but for the next two nights I get to sleep
I am a horrible wife -
kidney failure makes you a different person - it just happens -- slowly
no, I do not want to go to the zoo when we have spring break --- all the people and walking -- NO -- but he can go with the family---
please go..... I want him to ....
I may change my name to Tired Twirler -- then people know what they are getting
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »

I know """exactly"""how you feel....I think we all do unfortunately.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »

I told my General Practitioner yesterday how tired I was all the time now that my kidney function is down to 15% function. She says,"Are you sure you're not just depressed?" Yeah, I'm depressed, I have kidney failure! That's depressing alright. But trying to explain to her that depression feels different from just plain exhaustion and tiredness is very difficult. It's not the same feeling at all. Twirl, I know what you mean about the husband. I let him know that if he expects "Action" then maybe he should make dinner so I have the energy.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »

I am so tired --- I feel like it is my attitude --- my neph doc -- says it is my kidneys
I look forward to going to bed ---- unfortunately - to sleep
I know this is not for children to read but when my husband wants to do it --- the pay off is --- ok, tonight - but for the next two nights I get to sleep
I am a horrible wife -
kidney failure makes you a different person - it just happens -- slowly
no, I do not want to go to the zoo when we have spring break --- all the people and walking -- NO -- but he can go with the family---
please go..... I want him to ....
I may change my name to Tired Twirler -- then people know what they are getting

Baby i know how you feel.  Even on nocturnal I have my "No i am not going anywhere" days. I let hubby do whatever he wants to do.  Sometimes I go sometimes I just lay in bed.  Stress at work is going to kill us all soon.

lifenotonthelist.com

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »

Don't feel too bad ladies. My husband hasn't had the privilege in several months!   :(

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »

I don't know if anyone but kidney patients understand the incredible fatigue.  When I am making my bed, all I can think of is "when can I go back to bed?"  I have helped my daughter with her move to her new house this week.  Just helping set up the kitchen, kids rooms, etc but I am now so tired, I can't focus.  I am taking the day "off" but with her wedding next week, there is still more to do.  I could sleep around the clock and still be exhausted.  I feel like I am walking in quick sand. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »

Before I started dialysis, it was the exhaustion that got me. The worse my kidneys got, the worse it got. Now it's not so much exhaustion, but I'm just tired a lot. I sleep for hours after dialysis. The worst thing about it is that my sleep schedule is all messed up. I may sleep all day after dialysis, but I have trouble sleeping at night, so I end up sleeping for a while the next day too. And the vicious cycle repeats itself.

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »

i have to agree with you guys about everything. I am tired all the time at work, there are days i just want to put my head down on my desk and fall asleep. I go to my truck sometimes for lunch and take a nap. i know that not eating is not the right thing to do but, it just seems that sleeping is much more important.  Everything takes so much more time to do.  I feel like I am in slow motion most of the time...  I uesd to be great even after 4-5 hour of sleep a night now I need atleast 8 or more it drives me crazy.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »