I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:56:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Anti-depressants
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anti-depressants  (Read 5108 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: August 21, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »

I've been desperately trying to get one of my doctors to put me on anti-depressants recently and have been ignored by all of them. The first time I brought it up, my primary care doc told me "we'll talk about it some other time," my endocrinologist (I'm diabetic) pretty much said the same thing, and my nephro told me to go have blood work done (even though I just had it done the week before!) and to come back in a month, with no further discussion on the topic. Now, I just saw my gyno yesterday and she was going to put me on something (YAY!), until I reminded her of my kidney problems. I asked her why she couldn't now, and she told me that when you have greatly reduced kidney function, you can only go on very small doses of it and only take it every couple of days. Is this true? And if it is, why has nobody else told me this, and instead given me the run-around?! Why can you only take a reduced dose? How is this going to help my depression? I need something bad (and soon)! I'm not yet on dialysis, but my GFR is at 19. Will I not be able to take anything at all once i start on dialysis?

???   :banghead;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »

Jenna was prescribed a very low dose of Celexa 2 weeks before dialysis began. It was hard for doctors to distinguish the difference between depression and the fatigue and loss of energy associated with end stage renal disease, but they decided it would help either way, as the stress was huge. She continued on the Celexa for about 2 years until she decided she didn't need it anymore. It's been 2 years since then and no problems.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »

You know Paddbear,  my insurance doesnt cover anything in that field so i was pretty much left on my own in the world with all these "victims" around me, they just didnt know they were my victims, "yet" lol, i was moody beyond belief, didnt want to talk to anyone, go anywhere, do anything, but i do admit, being here in this website has done me wonders (and still does to this very day) i will come and bring up old posts and although some are sad cuz of the loss of some members, i just remember how fortunate i am to just be sitting here at all.  I love going to the pet thread and seeing the pics of all the pets and especially the joke thread.  This website has been the best source of support i have ever had and i hope you use it to work for you too, do not hesitate to join us in the chatroom, we have lots of laughs in there as well.  Yes, although my problems still remain with me after I leave the chatroom or log out of the site, the feeling i get from people who care is PRICELESS, not only cuz they care, cuz they are sincere, they know what i am going through cuz they are going through the same thing.  You are not alone, you have all of us, we are here with you, for you, every step of the way.    Hang in there girlfriend, and remember, your not alone  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »

Dear Paddbear, depression is a big part of dealing with kidney failure. My nephrologist put me on an anti-depressant when he realized that stress and anxiety were consumming me. I have talked to 2 transplant surgeons and they both said the drug was fine for me to take.  I am not sure why your doctors are so hesitent to help you. As long as you are monitored and have routine blood work, you should beable to take something. Also, I take it everyday and I will say it helps me deal with all that life keeps throwing at me. But, I still cry, get mad --- so I am not "zoned" out all the time!!  Keep talking to your doctors until someone listens to you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 07:36:13 PM »

Please keep trying to get someone to listen. I regret that during one of my hospital stays a nurse talked me out of getting help. I couldn't take any more poking, prodding or blood work. I ran away from her when she tried to give me an Arensp (don't think I spelled it right) shot. She said that I would have to have a grueling interview with someone from the Physch department. When I finally saw my family doctor about a 6 weeks later she gave me something. It really helped, not that I took it often, but it was there if I needed it.  My function was about the same as yours at the time.  :grouphug;
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »

I dont know about your insurance but I go to a psychiatrist that takes medicare so i only pay 20%..It has helped me a ton with anxiety and depression, and im on lexapro an anti depressant and it has been working quite well
st789

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:43:04 PM »

Sometimes I feel all alone in this battle but come here always help.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »

Sometimes I feel all alone in this battle but come here always help.

That's what we're here for my friend, i should know, i come here for the same thing myself  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Fox_nc

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 08:57:58 PM »

I wasn't looking for a script, but when I couldn't stop crying during office visits and in center hemo, they quickly talked to me about anti-depressants.  I've been on 50mg of Zoloft for about 9 months now.  When I had my transplant a couple of weeks ago they took me off for a couple of days, but then I got right back on.  Your neph should be your best bet for the script.  If they have a social worker, you might also try talking to them about it too.  If you feel you need something, then you probably do.  If all else fails have a breakdown during a visit ... cry, sob, ball ... and then when they ask what wrong, say it's all too much, you're too young to die, that kinda thing.  Good Luck!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 08:24:06 PM »

i have a cool doctor so i managed to get celexa and xanax for anxiety. the xanax dosent work too well so next time i see the doc im gonna suggest clonazepam.....best anxiety drug ever!!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 08:26:27 PM »

My husband is on Ativan (clonezepan) he takes it twice a day most of the time- it helps keep him calmer, he has been on it for the last year and a half- and I can't imagine him without it. He also has lexapro for every day- he has zero kidney function- sometimes you just need to really assert yourself and say HEY i NEED something!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:32:13 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 08:51:29 PM »

Ativan (clonezepan)

I was on that for like 6 months... but not for depression, for RLS. Wierd. I guess it has many purposes :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Roxy

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 09:08:12 PM »

Paddbear, I would research some specific anti-depressants that you might get reccommendations from friends ( like here on IHD) and see if you think they might work for you. If so, bring them up with your doctors and make them talk about it with you. Before I was on dialysis (but still had reduced kidney function), during dialysis, and now post-transplant I have been on Trileptal for being bipolar which is pretty much a mood stabilizer. This medication was just adjusted depending on how well my kidneys worked. I was at my lowest dose prior to the transplant and now I'm on a "regular" dosage. My point in explaining all this is to say that regardless of kidney function it is totally fine to have some type of anti-depressant as long as it is monitored. Also, most medications can be monitored by blood work. So, if a doctor is worried about too much of it in your system, all they have to do is do routine labs (which I'm sure you have done anyway..so really they just need to check another box on the lab slip  ;) ) and adjust it as needed. I hope this helps.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »

I've been suffering from depression since I was diagnosed diabetic 24 years ago, and have been on and off anti-depressants for about 10. It's in my past records (that my doc all have), so I don't understand why they all seem to give me the run-around! All I know is that the last one that I took was Paxil and you couldn't pay me to use that again! I was a zombie and cared less about anything after using it for a while than I do now. And I had NO sex drive whatsoever. I'd like to try Welbutrin just for that reason, but my gyno was going to put me on that one that they advertising as taking care of the "aches & pains" of depression as well (can't remember the name). The Paxil was great in preventing the rolling anxiety attacks that I started getting about 6 years ago from my job. That was the only good thing about it. I took valium for years before that, but I had to take 1/4 of the lowest dose pill, or it put me to sleep immediately. My first agenda at my nephro appt. on Sept. 10th is an anti-depressant--and he will NOT ignore me this time!!!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
tweetykiss

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 09:08:17 PM »

I am sorry you are going through this....I would recommend going to a psychiatrist since they normally can write the scripts.....I don't know if the other doctors can but they should at least give recommendations....now my husband has been on Zoloft for three weeks now and on dialysis for a month and his kidneys starting failing back in January, without his Zoloft (I hate to say this but it is the truth), he acts up so I made him go to the psychiatrist and she told him "Because of your kidney failure, you are stressed and you cannot keep acting like this way".  Now he is back to his wonderful self that I married and not the stranger I didn't know and could not figure out.

We are all here for you. :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 05:59:18 AM »

he acts up so I made him go to the psychiatrist and she told him "Because of your kidney failure, you are stressed and you cannot keep acting like this way".  Now he is back to his wonderful self that I married and not the stranger I didn't know and could not figure out.

How was he acting?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »

I don't think there is enough medicine in the whole world to make me feel like I did before kidney failure!!  My husband probably misses the woman he married--but an anti-depressent does help with the stress and anxiety. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »

I'm on lexapro. I've had bouts of depression so severe all i did was lie in bed. It was bad enough I would not even talk to my fiancee. He finally figured out what was going on and threatened me. AND called my nurse. That's when they put me on lexapro. It helps. I still get depressed, but not as badly, thank goodness!! I now have a network that I HAVE to contact every day or else. Which is good, since I live alone. I just hate not having a day to myself with no one to answer to though. I'd like to have that sometime. Just say, okay guys, I don't wanna talk to anyone. Leave me alone for 24 hours!
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 11:14:03 PM »

I've been taking Lexapro as well, since I found out that my kidneys have failed. It has worked great and the people at my post-transplant clinic encourage me to even stay on it.  I take it more for anxiety than for depression but it works for both.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »