I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Haemo Costs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Haemo Costs  (Read 7847 times)
Bear

« on: April 11, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »

I remember seeing somewhere on here recently, young ReRun mentioned some astronomical figures for cost of dialysis. :o
Friday, I was looking @ the Geelong Hospital (Vic., Aus.) cost analysis figs for IN-center-versus-Home/Home Nocturnal dx. ;)
IT seems to work out @ around $33K (Aus.dollars - about 60cU.S) for In-center; $30K for Home (5-6nights. 3-4 nights that I do, obviously cheaper). So about $600p.w. ($400U.S.)....somewhat lower than I expected, but nowhere near the $1500 for 3 x 5 you have to pay if you go
elsewhere for treatment (i.e. travelling o/s) ::)
This seems to confirm what I've thought before - about hospitals charging more when recovering from insurance cos./ medical benefit funds, which then causes on-going cost increases... :-\
....I'll have to find the URL, so I'll follow this up with it in a mo.
    ...and here it is  :-

http://www.nocturnaldialysis.org/geelong_experience.htm
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:55:19 PM by Bear » Logged

waves...Bear
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »

Bear please tell me what 600p.w. means and is that per month?  So, $400 US dollars per month?

That is what it SHOULD be.  What the hell is this game they are playing with figures here in the US?  To see who can charge the most? 

What is funny is for February, The "submitted charges" were $40,246.15.  Now that includes everything for dialysis plus epoigen. 

My insurance plan allows for payment $4,648.32.  My co-pay is $516.48 which Medicare will pick up.  My question to my insurance company and DaVita is "who the hell is going to pay the other $35,000?"  They may as well just submit 2 billion dollars because my insurance is only going to pay $4,648.32! 

There answer was it is "contracting or something, I don't really understand."   WTF  Find me someone who "DOES" understand!
No one understands because it is a crock of BS.   :P

Bear

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 10:11:47 PM »

I thought those abbrevs. were common use....oh well ;)
p.w. =  per week ;  p.m. = per month ; p.a. = per annum (year)
so it ws $600 per week in Australian = about $400 per week in Uncle Sam's Greenbacks
Did you look @ the Geelong site. btw???  IT has amounts for pharmacology. plus "bricks & mortar"
(i.e. clinics), nurse costs etc.

waves...Bear
ahamner

My Tibetan Spaniel "Bud"

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 08:54:49 AM »

My insurance plan allows for payment $4,648.32.  My co-pay is $516.48 which Medicare will pick up.  My question to my insurance company and DaVita is "who the hell is going to pay the other $35,000?"  They may as well just submit 2 billion dollars because my insurance is only going to pay $4,648.32! 

There answer was it is "contracting or something, I don't really understand."

As I understand it the term is "contractual adjustment".  That is the amount of the difference between the submitted charge and the eligible charge with the contacted providers.  In this case your insurance carrier and Medicare.  Health care providers agree to accept the eligible charges in full payment for the services provided and write off any difference rather than charge the patient.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out - Art Linkletter
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »

There answer was it is "contracting or something, I don't really understand."

As I understand it the term is "contractual adjustment".  That is the amount of the difference between the submitted charge and the eligible charge with the contacted providers.  In this case your insurance carrier and Medicare.  Health care providers agree to accept the eligible charges in full payment for the services provided and write off any difference rather than charge the patient.

::)

Please see this thread to learn how to "quote" someone.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=463.0

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »

So, the providers are escalating, animating, exaggerating, whatever term you want to use (lying) so they can write off HUGE amounts for tax breaks?  That is FRAUD!

ahamner

My Tibetan Spaniel "Bud"

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »

- Epoman

Thanks, I'm new here and learning! Hope this works right.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out - Art Linkletter
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »

- Epoman

Thanks, I'm new here and learning! Hope this works right.

Nice Try!   ;D

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »

Now back to Hemo Costs........ I have decided that I am worth more alive than I am dead.  So, CHARGE whatever you want!   :D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 10:31:41 PM »

Me too. At least now I can make part of the house payment and the medicare copay.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »

So, the providers are escalating, animating, exaggerating, whatever term you want to use (lying) so they can write off HUGE amounts for tax breaks?  That is FRAUD!

I just figured that out myself a few years ago when my parents reached 65 and became eligible for Medicare.  I was stunned that it is legal.  Similar thing w/ the credit card companies.  They spread their credit cards around to everyone who will accept one -- use the no pay and late pay as an excuse to raise interest rates (and also to justify the high interest when Congress gets involved) -- and then the icing on the cake, they write them off as a loss on their taxes!  I guess Medicare has been taking lessons. :D

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 07:30:47 PM »

Well, it has finally happened.  I told you in another post dealing with the cost of dialysis, that it is free here, but the hospital had been recently given to a statutory board to run, and that would mean that eventually we would have to pay.
During Wednesday's dialysis, a lady with an official looking clipboard woke me (yes!!) and asked me if I still have insurance.  She said I had to come into the office because my insurance would now have to pay for my dialysis.
I spoke with my supervisor and she said that a session in our hospital costs US$500 (our legal tender here is the US dollar) for visitors and that would be what the insurance would have to pay.  I can't imagine that dialysis is now costing about $6000 per month!!!
I am only hoping that the insurance pays the full cost. If not, I will be in the soup!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »

I spoke with my supervisor and she said that a session in our hospital costs US$500 (our legal tender here is the US dollar) for visitors and that would be what the insurance would have to pay.  I can't imagine that dialysis is now costing about $6000 per month!!!
I am only hoping that the insurance pays the full cost. If not, I will be in the soup!

In my neck of the woods, clinics get roughly $300 U.S. per treatment.  That then has to be split up between employee wages, machine repair costs, dialysis supplies (everything used during the treatment), rent or mortgage, and facility maintenance.  That's not a lot to go around.  It makes it very difficult to provide extra amenities to the patients.  We currently have satelite TV for the patients (all chairs have their own TV w/headphones) with 26 channels to choose from and a DVD player hooked to the TV system as well.  Beyond that we have little contests that we run every few months for best KT/V or fewest missed treatments.  The prizes are nothing huge ($25 Amercian Express gift certificates), but the patients seem to like it.  The thing is that it all cost money.  There have been several times when we have been in the hole at the end of the month, and the company has to eat those extra costs.  But that's just what has to be done to care for the patients in a proper manner, and give them some extras so they don't completely dread coming every other day.  What is paid out by the patient treatments goes back into the patients care, not padding pockets.  At least in my clinics case, I can't speak for any other entity that also gets paid from the insurance companies for your care.

It's not easy being green.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 10:34:48 AM »

In my neck of the woods, clinics get roughly $300 U.S. per treatment.  That then has to be split up between employee wages, machine repair costs, dialysis supplies (everything used during the treatment), rent or mortgage, and facility maintenance.  That's not a lot to go around.  It makes it very difficult to provide extra amenities to the patients.  We currently have satelite TV for the patients (all chairs have their own TV w/headphones) with 26 channels to choose from and a DVD player hooked to the TV system as well.  Beyond that we have little contests that we run every few months for best KT/V or fewest missed treatments.  The prizes are nothing huge ($25 Amercian Express gift certificates), but the patients seem to like it.  The thing is that it all cost money.  There have been several times when we have been in the hole at the end of the month, and the company has to eat those extra costs.  But that's just what has to be done to care for the patients in a proper manner, and give them some extras so they don't completely dread coming every other day.  What is paid out by the patient treatments goes back into the patients care, not padding pockets.  At least in my clinics case, I can't speak for any other entity that also gets paid from the insurance companies for your care.

Is your center trying to get more patients out of the clinic and doing dialysis at home to lower their overhead?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »

Is your center trying to get more patients out of the clinic and doing dialysis at home to lower their overhead?

We do have a Home Hemo and a PD program in full effect, but they are budgeted separately.

It's not easy being green.
Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 11:45:40 PM »

I'm surprised that anyone could even afford to pay for dialysis. If I had to pay Id be dead  :-\
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 08:31:20 AM »

I'm surprised that anyone could even afford to pay for dialysis. If I had to pay Id be dead :-\
me too lol! I am glad that in my country I don't have to worry about the cost to just frickan live :P

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 10:19:48 AM »

You're not safe even if you have private insurance.  Many of them have fine print somewhere that gives a lifetime total for benefits paid out.  It's a huge number, and most people will never get close.  But those of us with transplant surgery and ever increasing dialysis costs may get there a lot sooner than we realize.  My mother was warned when her liver failed - her life time total on the insurance she had was something like 2 million.  Sounds like plenty, but when you start taking it out in chunks for things like emergency helicopter transport, or even ambulance rides around here where most of the ambulance lines no longer accept BCBS, it disappears fast.  My husband had to have an emergency transport to a downstate hospital a few years ago when he cut off his fingers with a buzz saw.  BCBS paid about $6000 - we had to come up with the other $5000.  They were supposed to send us by helicopter, but there wasn't one available at the time.  I don't even want to think about how much that would have cost.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »