I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:37:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Yeast Infection (Girly questions)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yeast Infection (Girly questions)  (Read 4982 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: August 18, 2007, 06:06:05 PM »

**Sorry if this is in wrong topic area...**

Any other females had a yeast infection after transplant? I'm 7 months post-transplant now and starting 2 weeks ago I started having itching and burning in my vaginal area, but no discharge. I figured I'll just buy some over the counter girl medicine for these type of symptoms and get it cleared up. Didn't work.. continued to get worse. Finally, yesterday I woke up and I could not even wipe without crying I was in so much pain, so I headed to the Dr. Did a exam and took a swab, said yeast infection. He said the symptoms showed up a Lil different for me due to my immune system being suppressed. OK, so he writes a prescription for "Diflucan" and you take the pill one time and then 4 days later you take one last pill. I was pleasantly surprised, finally a pill and not a cream for yest infections, YAY.

So, he says by Monday, if nothing is better, call him, the medicine ain't working then. So far, I DREAD going to the bathroom it hurts SOOOO bad.. I literally have to put Desitin on and take pain killers and just sit and try to think about something else until the pain is gone (about 20-30 mins). So, so far not getting better, but it's only been 24 hours... We shall see what tomorrow brings, if no relief still, I will start to get nervous even though he said it could take up until Monday... The pain is awful... I cry everytime I go to the bathroom... wiping SUCKS.... *sigh*

Could the fact i'm on immunosupressives make it take longer to go away?
Angela

(Sorry if any guys read this.. )

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 08:14:42 PM »

:waving;
Hello Angela, I took Diflucan twice. But I wasn't in as much pain as you are in. I think used a wipe from Vagisil that soothed it a little. I bought a store brand that wasn't as helpful.
Wish I knew something else you could try.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:40:20 AM »

Ohhh girlfriend, i feel your pain, i know exactly what your going through,  i hope that pill kicks in and quick,  i usually get it when my sugar gets too high,  keep us posted on how that pill works so we can ask for it if it works ;)  Godspeed  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Fox_nc

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:39:41 AM »

Hate to hear that it got so bad.  Aside from anything else, you might try sleeping without undies.  Sounds silly, but the fresh air can help get things back in balance.  When I got discharged after my transplant they gave me a script to make sure I don't get yeast in my mouth (thrush) but no one said anything about a good ol' fashioned yeast infection.  I wonder if the Nystatin helps with it?  Do you take it or Mycelex?

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »

I might call my transplant team tomorrow and ask about the Nystatin Fox.. I am not on it now, but like you I was on it after transplant.

I know for a fact I am not drinking my 2L a day of fluid, just for the simple fact, I CRY WHEN I PEE, STILL.. if it's like this still tomorrow morning, I am calling the doctor who gave me the antibiotic and let him know that hey man, it's just as bad as the day I came in.. and I will call my transplant team and find out if they suggest anything.

The pain is AWFUL. :(

Ginger

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »

Angela,
The less you drink, the more concentrated your urine and the more it will burn. Try drinking more to dulute the urine more.  Hope you are better soon.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »

Wow, Angela, I feel for you.
All the pain you're having with the ankles and knees and now this.
I sure hope things get better for you real soon.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »

Oh Angela. I don't have any words of advice, just sympathy. Man, that has got to hurt.  :grouphug;
Fox_nc

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:08:43 PM »

For sure call your transplant team, either way.  They need to know that you have something going on.  Good luck honey!

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:28:10 AM »

1) Diflucan is a big NO-NO for transplant patients. It makes your drug levels go through the roof and then your kidney rejects from toxicity from the drugs. It just happened to someone at my clinic last week apparently. So, they ordered drug levels and a creatnine today. I'm waiting for the results.

2) I AM STILL IN AGONIZING PAIN. The skin down there is all RAW, I asked my mom to look because obviously I cannot do it myself and I wanted to know what was causing all this burning pain. So, what do I do for RAW skin???  I don't know..

3) The transplant team told me to go buy Monistat 7 and put the medicine in everyday for 7 days as directed. Well, how is that going to help the RAW skin??? That's where all my pain is.... when I go to the bathroom... the pain isn't from the "act" of peeing, it's from the pee hitting the RAW skin.. UGHHH... I do know this... I will give it a day or 2 more of dealing with this, and then I'm going to the ER... I don't know what they can do for me, if anything... but I cannot go on in pain like this. I wish I had a freaking cath in right now so I wouldn't have to deal with going to the bathroom.. I cry everytime. :(

4) Anyone know what promotes healing with raw skin? Should I call my transplant team and ask them, would they know that info? Will I heal slower from the meds I am on? If I could, I would sit in the hospital with a cath in just to not deal with this pain. Geez....

Alright... I am done for now.

Please pass the facts about Diflucan on to any other females having a transplant... bad bad bad.

Laurie

May 13, 2008

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:37:19 AM »

Have you thought about trying Desitin?

I hope things get better for you  :grouphug;

March 7, 2001 - Complications after C-section caused kidney failure
March 2001 - December 2001 - Hemo Dialysis
December 2001 - Kidney function improved dialysis no longer necessary
October 2006 - Kidney function started to decline
May 9, 2007 - Listed at Baylor Dallas and Fort Worth
October 12, 2007 - Started PD
May 13, 2008 - Kidney Transplant from a deceased donor
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »

:( :(
I am surprised with the Diflucan. That is what my transplant team gave me. I hopefully won't need to ask for something again. But I am going to not take it if they give it to me.

Wonder if Triple paste for diaper rash would work? Keep us posted on what your team tells you.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »

My creatnine has gone up from 0.8-1.3 since taking the medicine, still waiting for the drug levels.

They have advised me to use Desitin until I see them, they moved my appt from next Wed to tomorrow.. So i'll hopefully know more ltomorrow. 

When I went to the bathroom 20 mins ago, it again, hurt so bad I cried, this time however, I ran a bath water of lukewarm water and sat in it right after going to the bathroom, and I felt some relief. After I got out I put on some petroleum based medicine (Kind of like Bacitracin), and i'm not feeling the burning AS much so maybe this is more of a comforte to my skin than the desitin. Well it works for right now, so stick with what is working until it no longer works...

Angela

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »

This is gonna sound icky Angela. But could you pee in the bath water? Run the water then sit in it and pee in it? Would that help the pain? Perhaps someone else could chime in, let me/us know if this is workable.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »

More info -- http://www.4woman.gov/faq/yeastinfect.htm - "A weakened immune system is the most common cause of yeast infections."

Can you use a numbing creme or spray? It worked with my episiotomy - but not sure if it would work on a rash.

Hope you improve soon. The warm water idea sounds good to me, maybe in the shower. DO NOT CUT BACK ON YOUR WATER INTAKE!!! (Please, it's important!)

:cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 04:39:03 PM »

Sorry to hear angela you are in so much pain. Sounds Crappy.  :banghead;

Hope you feel better soon.

Amanda
xxoo

:cuddle;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 08:22:14 PM »

Ok, I could no longer deal with the pain and was crying for 2 hours straight, I went to the ER. They put on Lidocain Jelly, which numbed me up pretty good and right away... bye bye pain. So, when I was discharged, they discharged me with 3 Prescription

1) Some kind of sepository thats supposed to be stronger than over the counter meds like Monistat, however my insurance did not cover that and I don't have 116.00 to pay for it. So I will take the monistat tonight and let the drs know in the morning at clinic and see what they wanna do if anything.

2) Lodocain Jelly - NUMBING MEDICINE YAY... This is great.. I don't have to deal with the pain.. numbs me right up.. doesn't hurt AS much to pee, but still hurts.

3) A steroid ointment to help heal the area faster.

If i'm not doing better in 3 days, I need to go back to the ER.

If it's all not healed ina week I need to go back to the ER.

Im just relived right now that im not in pain due to being numbed... im off to bed. Thanks everyone for your support.  :grouphug;

charee
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 08:27:22 PM »

good to hear you have got some relief from the pain Angela :cuddle;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
brenda

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:36 PM »

Yogurt!  Eating plain old yogurt is the best thing for yeast. I helps balance the ph in your body. Eat as much as you can!!

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »

Been readin about this on the net, and with the yoghurt, freeze tampons dipped in yogurt, supposed to really "soothe the really sore bits" and also the "good guys" in the yoghurt get rid 

of the infection, can only give it a try i suppose. Hope it gets better real quick

Tamara xxx ooo  :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Ginger

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:08 AM »

Glad to hear that you found something to help you with the pain. Hope this clears up soon. The yogurt is a good idea, just be sure you get some with 'live' cultures. Be sure to keep well hydrated.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »