I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:19:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  My Transplant Story... :-)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Transplant Story... :-)  (Read 2404 times)
highlite36

« on: August 13, 2007, 01:43:42 PM »

I was diagnosed with a kidney disease in my sophomore year of college.  At that time, I was told that I would have another ten years before I would need to worry about dialyzing.  However, within 10 months of that diagnosis, I lost my kidneys had to start dialyzing full time.  I had a very good friend who loved me very much and offered to step up and give me her kidney.  She was in the middle of planning her wedding when we   found out that she was a match and it just added on to the excitement of the event.  The two of us were consistently encouraged however we were met with a small amount of hesitation from my family.  You see, I come from a very conservative and traditional Asian family who still held on to many of the tradtional practices and cultural beliefs.  It was harder for them to understand why a white, caucasion girl who was just about to get married would want to step up and do something like this when even those who were in the sick girl's family didn't want to do it.  It took a lot of heart and courage for her to step forward and give me this gift.  She was married and while she was away on her honey moon, I got very sick.  While she was gone, I suffered from a hypertensive stroke and was medically comatose for three weeks.  I had a shunt placed in my head to encourage the draining of blood from my brain.  When I awoke many weeks later, the transplant team felt that the quicker I could get that kidney, the better I would be.  When she found out about this, my friend dropped everything around her and prepared for the transplant.  We were transplanted November 7, 2002.....exactly 2 months after her wedding day.....almost to the hour.....  My sister is the most beautiful woman I know.  Although I no longer have her kidney, I do know that the gift she gave was priceless and I owe her more than I could ever give.  She is now a mother of two little boys.  The second little one is the one I call my kidney baby.  He was born on the 4th anniversary of our transplant.  I couldn't ask for a better gift or one that had more meaning.  I love how my family has grown.  It now includes people of all shapes, sizes, and color.  I am very, very blessed............  :-)

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »

You were blessed. I was and am, so touched by that story. That is true love, and you are very fortunate to have people around you like that. NO wonder you look so happy!
st789

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »

You have a very healthy outlook on your experiencing with medical crisis.  I totally understand your view on how conservative Asian family deal with a member of their families with this illness.  Your friend is truly a heaven sent.  Thanks for sharing us your story highlite36.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »

Great story.  :thumbup;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:34:31 PM »

Great story..  :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 05:59:42 PM »

Thank you for sharing that story Highlite and i am glad you had a friend who was loving and caring enough to do what she did for you.  It is stories like yours that inspire me,   :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »

Such a nice story.  :)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »